“Farfalle with lobster!”
Review of La Vecchia Cucina

La Vecchia Cucina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Cucina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 691 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cross street: Ocean Park
Sherman, Connecticut
“Farfalle with lobster!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Great spot for inspired, reasonable fare on Main St. The farfalle with white wine sauce, tiny mushrooms and lobster was spectacular. I'm definitely going to copy it for a dinner party. As the reviews say, it's really noisy. That's because it is jam-packed, hugely popular and deservedly so. Lots of groups with young kids made it a bit deafening, but the food is so good you just grin & bear it.

Visited November 2013

Austin, Texas
“What a Wonderful Surprise!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I wanted Italian before running the Los Angeles Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon and briefly looked at listings online and chose La Vecchia Cucina. Arriving, we were promptly seated and the service was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was excellent, every course. The Squash blossoms were delicious and frankly everything was very good. When the bill arrive, I thought it might be a mistake because it was about half of what we had paid at a couple of other meals in the area. If I had any complaint, it might be the noise level but frankly most restaurants these days are a bit louder and the food was so good I did not care!

• Visited October 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Not authentic Italian food and bad service”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I had heard so many good things about La Vecchia Cucina and I read good reviews about their food so I decided to try it for happy hour. I went on a Saturday afternoon just when they opened at 5pm to avoid the crowds and make sure I could sit at the bar. I went with a friend. When we sat, the bartender came to us to get the drinks order - we ordered a wine that was not in the happy hour but he misunderstood us so he gave us another wine. No big deal since later on the second round he said he felt bad and gave us little more of the right wine. The problem for me is that after other people sat at the bar- he seemed to know all of them and took their food order before ours. If anything, since we were the new people, he should have been more attentive to us so we might come back. He seemed to not really care about us. We proceeded to finally order a few of the happy hour selections - I had heard good things about the eggplant appetizer but as an Italian, it was NOT Italian food at all (it's not made with parmesan cheese but some other cheese so it does not taste like that) - we ordered the pizza appetizer which was still not Italian but decent and a couple of pasta plates which were ok. Overall, I did not enjoy this experience, I did not feel welcomed, and based on what I ate, I did not find it to be authentic Italian and I don't think I will ever go back.

• Visited November 2013
Santa Monica, California
“Always Great!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

So I have lived next to and going to La Vecchia for 12+ years and this is the first review I have written so shame on me. What prompted my review was yet another less than impressive experience at Via Vento down the street. It’s twice as expensive, service staff are aloof and the meal is hardly comparable (although it is very pretty to look at). Last week was our third and last attempt there, which continues to fall short. Simply put the food at La Vecchia is delicious, always consistent (chef/owner is the key to success) and the service staff on the floor, the host stand and behind the bar are awesome. The burrata, the bolognese and faggotini pasta are the best. When we are not dining in we are ordering out. One caution, beware of the warm bread and garlic olive oil, it’s highly addictive.

• Visited October 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great Italian restaurant”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a fantastic dinner here. We ate the pasta and lamb and they were perfectly cooked and we really enjoyed every bite. The restaurant is a little noisy but it didn't bother us. You're still able to talk to and hear each other just fine. The service was very good and fast too.

• Visited August 2013