“Great food!”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The food is pretty good here! I would definitely come back. The Jamaican Jerk Chicken was phenomenal and I had this breaded white fish which was amazing as well. I would definitely come back. A group of us were seated outside and I was able to bring my dog as well.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We decided to try Babalu for an early dinner before a movie at the Aero Theater and had great food. Although labeled "caribbean", the menu is eclectic with choices for everyone. The potsticker appetizers were the best potstickers we've had, the crisypy coocnut prawns were good (5 pieces).
The crab enchiladas were absolutely delicious and our friend thought his angus burger was great (and he's a burger afficionado). Tasty dinner topped off by the waitress suggesting we split a dessert since we were all full - it was amazing - you've got to try to "Banana-brownie cake". Absolutly delicious!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We used to go to Babalu a lot. That is until the owner decided to lecture me and my partner about how to raise our child. You see, we took our 15 month old son to Babalu. It was a beautiful, sunny Sunday. Upon entering the restaurant, the owner, whom we had never seen before, gave us quite a stare. Maybe he has a problem with two men having a baby, I don't know nor I care. We were sat. We ordered our food. We had brought with us some Gerber "Crunchies", since it helps to keep our son quiet and well behaved while we enjoy our lunch. Of course our son had made a bit of a mess, dropping some crunchies on the floor, (and I mean SOME, like 10) which my partner and I were totally aware of and we kept trying to keep the area clean by pushing the crunchies close to us and picking them up. Then the owner decided to come at us with an attitude, and tell us to clean up and keep the area neat. WTF! In the many, many years and restaurants we have dined at, we have NEVER, EVER been approached like that, and we have NEVER seen the owner of a restaurant demand that the patrons clean up "crunchies", and that is because it takes less than a minute to sweep them. It makes NO sense Needless to say we got up and left. Too bad.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a cousin who lives in the area. It is more of a neighborhood place instead of a tourist destination. We were late for our reservation, but our cousin called and told them we would be late and they said just to call before we left her house. We got right in and sat outside as we had requested. The service was very good, and the selection on the menu was unusual (in a good way). It is billed as a Caribbean restaurant, but the food was a mixture of several different cuisines. I had the warm goat cheese salad, and it was delicious. I had been eating rather decadently for several days, and it was a refreshing change. People walked by with their dogs and while the restaurant was busy, there never seemed to be a line. I think it would be a great "regular" restaurant for people living in the area, and a nice change of pace (maybe on the way back to the city from the beach) for tourists. There was a pretty strong ocean breeze, and it was a little chilly outside, so if you are cold-natured, take a jacket.

Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

The warm kashkabud was yummy! Highly recommend that appetizer. The "portabello wrap" special was a joke. Two people at our table ordered it and both wraps had one minuscule mushroom hiding under the greens. My turkey loaf was aight, but the mashed sweetpotatos were sooooo good. The staff did let us leave our leftovers and pick them up after a walk to the beach. This place was a toss up for me and I wish we had tried somewhere else.