“great food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Since moving out of LA and to the Bay Area, I've yet to find another Mexican food joint that compares to the flavor, diversity, and affordability that is my beloved Tacos Por Favor.

What makes TPF so great? The fact that you can choose to be "healthy" one day and order a Spinach, Sauteed Mushroom, or Veggie burrito on whole wheat/tomato/spinach tortilla, or be downright unapologetic and get a California burrito (yes, it really has french fries in it). Not to mention, they load you up on tortilla chips with every order. Also, their salsas are all fantastic and the "hot" sauce is literally burn-your-tongue hot!

PROS
- Food: My top picks are the Code 7 Burrito or Omelette (egg whites, spinach, chicken breast, guac, beans), Carne Asada Burrito, Spinach Breakfast Burrito, Breakfast Burrito, Mushroom Roasted Pepper Quesadilla.
- Service: It may vary for some folks, but the staff have always been exceptionally friendly IMO, even if some of them speak very little English. Additionally, they have never charged me extra for tweaking my orders (ex: adding mushrooms to my Spinach Burrito, asking for black beans instead of pinto, extra tortillas on the side, etc.).

CONS
- Decor: OK, this may not be the ideal place to take a lady on a first date, but who cares?! The interior could use some re-painting, but that's certainly not what I'm thinking about whenever I'm chowing down on my burrito.
- Parking: SUCKS. Street parking only with pay meters. However, the good news is if you can't find parking there, you can always visit their second location on Olympic + Bundy.

Tacos Por Favor does clean and greasy Mexican food right with great service to back it up. I wholeheartedly support TPF with 5-stars.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I got the fish tacos. Fish was lacking in seasoning but the toppings were good, very fresh. I also enjoyed the salsa bar. The tamale was a bit dry too.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Food, with delicious sauces, was best Mexican food I've tasted since my trip to Mexico last year. Decor is also typical Mexican; nothing fancy, but clean. Wish I lived closer.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

Best inexpensive Mexican food in Santa Monica! The burritos are quite large and the hard tacos are the best I've ever had! They also have a fresh salsa bar with spicy pickled carrots and onions. This is my favorite Mexican joint if I'm ever craving authentic Mexican food.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

great roja sauce. always a satisfying lunch.
it is the go to spot for real mexican food on the west side. better than the trucks.