“Great place to have a drink”

Mariasol Cocina Mexicana
Ranked #70 of 676 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Bar Scene, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located at the very end of the picturesque Santa Monica Pier, Mariasol serves mouthwatering Mexican fare reminiscent of that found in the Mexican beach towns of Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. Visitors enjoy the vivacious colors of the patios and the decor of a true Baja Cantina. Mariasol's use of distinctive sauces, flavorful peppers and fresh fish make this cuisine a favorite among food lovers. Lunch and dinner are served daily.
Columbia, MD
“Great place to have a drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Stopped by just for a quick drink. The restaurant was crowded but, was able to make our way to the bar. What great atmosphere!

Visited September 2013

• Arabic first
Seattle, Washington
“Tired Mexican mall food at the end of the pier”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

It's been over 15 years since I last visited the Santa Monica pier and this week, I was given the opportunity to revisit the pier. After a very cool stroll through downtown Santa Monica and it's excellent pedestrian shopping areas, I was looking forward to lunch on the pier. It was a gorgeous day (10/22/2013) as usual and I bypassed the Bubba Gump restaurant to avoid the heavy tourist crowds and went down to the end to eat Mexican at Mariasol. Situated at the end of the pier, very few tables actually had a "ocean view". Even on a Tuesday at 1pm, we were told there was a waiting list. Fine, but when asked to sit at any of the numerous nice tables inside the bar, the hostess told us "no table service" and we had to sit at the bar to order food and drinks. I tried to enjoy a conversation with a friend not seen in so long, but two local "fisherman" next to us rudely interupted our conversation and then manager Lisa joined in with them on the lively discussion without respect to me or my friend. Yes, we were at a bar and so I had to adapt and when we moved, the party seemed to follow us with Lisa grabbing on to the back of my chair as she blabbed on about the multitude of sharks being caught recently. Seriously, arent sharks in danger of overfishing? Anyway, the bartender was attentive but the margaritas were the standard cheap tequila and green sour mix variety and I ordered grilled fish tacos. The fish was more boiled or steamed and I found small clumps of fish buried below tons of slaw. A monstrous plate of plain rice and ho-hum black beans and cheap salsa and bland chips accompanied the dinners. Chili's restaurant in Ohio could've done better. OH YES, I certainly do know about Mexican cuisine having lived in Mexico for three years and did not let on to the bartender and his waiters that I understood his Mexican and how bored they were that day of work and the "tourists". Recommendation? How interesting was that when manager Lisa offered my friend a job because she said she was over the staff working for her? Skip the pier and eat on the mainland in one of the uber-hip cool restaurants and hotels facing the ocean.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank chrisDTW
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I did not try the food here but the drinks were amazing. If you like to try authentic Mexican drinks, I would suggest trying this place out. They have a couple of drinks with jalapenos and habanero (if you like spicy) and if you are looking for something sweet, their mango margarita was good. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about their drinks.

Visited August 2013
St. Albert, Canada
“Good choice on the pier”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Decent prices if you don't order booze.
My dad's beer came to 7 bucks! There are 55 dollar tequilas on the menu!!!!!
Food is good price though and yummy!

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh
“Great place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great place, always busy, and very cold at night. The food was average but the staff were friendly. They gave us this small little postcard, it was so great!

Visited August 2013