“Magnificent in every way! the PERFECT hotel”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My daughter and I travelled to L.A in late october, as the first leg of a trip to san francisco and New york. She had initially planned on using airbnb, but we are SO glad we didn't, we couldn't possibly speak more highly of our experience at palihouse, it was magnificent in every sense of the word.
As soon as we arrived we were gushing over how incredible the interiors were, and at that stage we had only seen the lobby. Lila helped us with our bags & checking in, and upon checkin we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. She was so helpful and kind, both my daughter and I were so appreciative & moved that she would just do that.
Then we saw the suite… jaws to the floor, it was unbelievable/amazing/perfect in every way. I was getting teary, it was beyond anything we expected. My daughter wants to live there, it was amazing. The heritage, spanish-colonial building is so gorgeous from the outside but our room (ahem, palace) was truly incredible. We were marvelling at every little detail, as well as the big ones (the amazing chic decor and furniture). My daughter described the room as a potential set on a wes anderson movie - it was very luxe but home-y and comforting (in the best kind of way) ...even the scent (which you could purchase in the form of a custom santal le labo candle available in your room) was beautiful, welcoming. We burn it at home now to remind us of palihouse!
Our room overlooked the courtyard and was so beautiful & comfortable... it was often a real struggle to leave for the day. On top of this, the staff at palihouse were absolutely amazing. we miss them! Each and every person we encountered there we loved! they felt like our friends, and we'll never forget how lovely they all were.
Lila was gorgeous, we loved chatting to her, she was such a sweetheart & so kind. Dan went above and beyond each time we had a question, request or suggestion. He was so willing to accommodate, and was so friendly/attentive/sweet whilst doing so. Phillip at the bar took our order for breakfast most mornings (the food is DELICIOUS as well, a simple menu is all you need when its so fresh and yummy… my daughter is missing the omelettes) ...he was so lovely, helpful and informative (regularly and willingly looked up the weather on his iPhone/googled questions we had). At valet, Hunter was funny & so sweet, and brandon was laid back, lovely & full of great suggestions on cool places to go to shop/eat etc. Tori at the front desk was so great and attentive as well.

We were sad to leave! Staying here was the highlight of our time in L.A, and was possibly our favourite hotel experience ever. we'll return to L.A if for nothing else, just to visit palihouse. PERFECT!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank larellejoy
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear larellejoy,

Thank you for your five star review. We are all so pleased to hear that you and your daughter had such an enjoyable stay. It was our pleasure to upgrade your room to our two bedroom residence. I will be sure and share this review with all of our staff. Thank you so much for recognizing them, it is greatly appreciated. We all look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you, again!

There are newer reviews for Palihouse Santa Monica

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We loved staying here. We stayed in room 207 which is on a corner with windows on two sides and is a large one bedroom apartment. The location is great, just three blocks from the beach, you can walk to a Whole Foods store to shop for food, and you can walk to Santa Monica pier and the Promenade. They have stylish bikes to ride and valet parking. Our room was beautifully furnished with good quality toiletries.

The lift is old so do have them take your bags to and from your room as you will struggle with the lift doors.

My only suggestion for improvement is that they should add more kitchen equipment. We only had one saucepan, one fry pan and a kettle. And yet there was a very good stove but no roasting pan, no cafeteria to make coffee and some great cookbooks like Julia Child's introduction to French cooking. I'd love to have tried some of the recipes but there was not enough kitchen equipment to do so.

Staff are very good.

And wifi is included in the rooms and in the common parts.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annerly777
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Tripster29,

Thank you for your four star review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Palihouse Santa Monica. During your next stay with us, please let us know if we can provide any items for your kitchen as we have extra kitchen supplies upon request. We also have coffee makers and microwaves if you are interested. Thank you, again. We all look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel and couldn't have been happier. They actually upgraded us to a king room which was GORGEOUS. Very trendy. It was really close to the Santa Monica pier. The service desk was really really nice. We used their bikes (they waived the fee since it was only an hour) they wanted to charge $25 which is a little expensive but the bikes are really cute. The room is like a Paul Smith ad. They pay attention to every detail. Both concierge were very knowledgeable and personable. I wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chloe M

Dear Chloe M,

Thank you for you five star review. We are all so pleased to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us so much. Please let us know when you will be returning as we would love to welcome you back. Hopefully next time you can stay a little longer. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Palihouse is a great hotel in a "can't beat" location - close to lots of restaurants & shopping, and 3 blocks from the beach. It's an older hotel that has gotten the "boutique" treatment while maintaining its original charm. The rooms are large, with comfortable beds & pillows, and big windows that open to bring in lots of light & fresh air. The hotel has a large courtyard where guests can sit & relax, and enjoy coffee or tea from the lobby. Although I didn't use them, bikes are available. The neighborhood is residential and very safe, which was important to me as a woman travelling alone, and I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go. The staff were all wonderful too - friendly and accommodating. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: There are rooms with full kitchens, which is great for longer visits (2 Whole Foods nearby). I had...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank M_DuBos

Dear M_DuBos,

Thank you for your wonderful five star review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. I am so glad that you found the hotel, staff and location so desirable. We all look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Let me just start by saying....

GO STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

The good:

1.) Service... outstanding! From the minute I arrived at the car valet, to checking in, to having breakfast the next day, to checking out, I felt absolutely welcome and at home. Everyone was exceptionally friendly, welcoming, and genuine.

2.) Decor.... amazing! The minute you enter the grounds, you feel you're stepping back in time. I really enjoyed the pictures throughout the hotel from the same photographer. Be sure to take time to check them out.

3.) Rooms.... fantastic! The rooms are very large, very tasteful, fully stocked with wonderful amenities, beds are comfortable and come with excellent linens, bathroom is large and has been remodeled but has the feeling of the property's original design (as does the entire room itself actually.)

4.) Location.... great! 2 short blocks to an amazing ocean view and only a few blocks to the pier.

Room tip: Ask for room 310. It's a corner unit with a large window facing towards the ocean that provides a great view. (Does only have a queen bed though.)

All in all, a fantastic hotel with excellent service and a great blend of modern upgrades and classic appearance. You can't go wrong!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sandiegoamc
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Sandiegoamc,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Just checked out of the lovely Palihouse Santa Monica today and didn't want to leave! One night is definitely not long enough at this historic boutique hotel. First off, I work in the hotel industry in Los Angeles, where four star boutique hotels are a dime a dozen. What I loved about Palihouse is that the hotel feels more like a Mediterranean castle than a historic 1920s apartment building. It was easy to tell that the new owners put a lot of care into restoring the many details that make the building as special as it really is. Although renovated, the hotel still retained its charm from a bygone era that felt more like a beachside retreat from The Great Gatsby than a boutique hotel.

First thing that I loved was the exterior architecture that reminded me of another iconic LA property, the Chateau Marmont. Although surrounded by mid-century apartments, the hotel takes on a character all of its own making you feel a world away from the craziness of the rest of the city. The lobby was beautiful - again, renovated, but without losing its historic charm. The front desk rep (I think his name was Dan) was exceptional and made us feel so welcome during our stay.

We stayed in a one-bedroom residence and WOW can we say space?! Santa Monica hotels are not known for large rooms, so I was pleasantly surprised to see how large the room actually was. Decked out with a full kitchen, spacious living room and bedroom, and tons of closet space, the room was perfect for a family stay. I also enjoyed all the small details that made the room unique: old fashioned books and luggage stacked in random places, custom-made wall paper unlike any I've seen before, Palihouse mugs with signature bird designs, etc.

The hotel is located on 3rd Street, as in the 3rd Street Promenade, which we found to be only a short two-minute walk from the hotel. We loved being so close to everything, but feeling like we were so far away once back inside the hotel. 3rd Street was lovely this time of year all festive for the holiday season.

We were sad to check out after only one night, but we'll be back. I am so glad to have found such a charming place to stay in Santa Monica (especially with 75 degree weather in December!) and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those needing larger accommodations, or seeking a historic, authentic LA boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HotelGuy27
PalihouseManagement, General Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear HotelGuy27,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

Finest regards,

Reviewed 15 December 2013

What a charming place to call home for a few days! I only meant to stay for one night but I loved staying here SO much that I booked a second night. The ceiling was super high and the layout was adorable. Hats off to the designer. Really delightful decor. The fully equip kitchen chocked full of Dean and Deluca snacks came in handy in the middle of the night. The pillows and bed were super comfortable. I found a nearby parking space with no trouble. The location is PERFECT and the staff were all kind and incredibly helpful. I am changing my Christmas plans to stay here with my adult children. The penthouse is simply gorgeous! With Third Street Promenade just a short walk, I am so grateful to have found this rare gem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Marseas,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us! We are so pleased that you found our staff helpful and accommodation enjoyable. Please let us know when you will be returning as we would love to welcome you back.

Thank you, again, and Happy Holidays!

Finest regards,