“Practically perfect in the Pali way.”

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
“Practically perfect in the Pali way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This boutique hotel is gorgeous. Very well designed, excellent food and beverages , friendly personable service. This place will be booked out and exclusive in no time at all. Stay while you still can. Majed is warm and welcoming, Jason is jovial, Aiden makes the best cappuccinos in LA! Drop by stop by, stay a while!

• Stayed April 2014
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Andekr,

Thank you for your recent stay, and thank you for a five star review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your review with Majed, Aiden, Jason and all of the staff that made your stay with us so special. Please let us know when you will be returning; we are looking forward to it! Thank you again

Palihouse Santa Monica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I have based my review on value for money which this hotel does not meet the expectation that the cost sets.
We stayed for a week in a suite which was very spacious with an eclectic mix of furniture, the lounge was huge but contained little furniture. Kitchen had enough utensils to make some lunch but the appliances especially the kettle were a nightmare! The kettle was one you heated on the job which took forever but also didn't whistle when it was done so was easily forgotten about also once boiled the handle was too hot to actually pick up. There were no complimentary tea or coffee facilities, everything was charged for. The bathroom was tiny and because of the age of the hotel it never felt completely clean although the rainfall shower was very powerful (one of the best things about the room). Bed was very comfortable, nice comfy pillows too and great tv in both the bedroom and lounge. The bedroom had a 'wet dog like' smell the duration of our stay and you could hear the music from the lobby in the evening (late evening, when we were in bed) also could hear the other guests flushing toilets, rolling suitcases and people/traffic outside. The crib they provided for our daughter was a tacky travel cot.
We ran out of tissues during our stay (our daughter had a cold) and they were never replaced, only a tiny thing but when your paying a lot of money to stay here then you would hope they would top up your supply daily.
Location is great and felt very safe, they charge $39 to valet your car which we refused to pay, we found a street a few blocks away that you could park on for free.
Overall the service offered did not meet my expectations for the price you pay, I get the feeling they don't feel like they have to offer a great service and they think the hotel itself is nice enough to warrant the price you pay-it's not!!

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank gillyf15
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear gillyf15,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Palihouse Santa Monica. Also, thank you for your recent tripadvisor review. We always appreciate any feedback about our property, our service and the product that we offer. It is the only way that we can continuously improve.

I am pleased to hear that you found your suite so spacious and well designed. We took great care in attempting to create an atmosphere of comfort combined with exceptional design when reinventing this beautiful building. While the building has its limitations (smaller bathrooms), it is a one of a kind experience to stay in an amazing historical landmark in Santa Monica.

I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tv’s and the bedding. Our large flatscreen tv’s with premium channels and our 100% Egyptian cotton linens are just two of many touches that we thought would be well appreciated by our guests.

I would like to apologize about some of the difficulties that you had during your stay. While it is our staff’s intension to always anticipate our guests needs and provide anything that will make your stay more comfortable, any requests for missing items in rooms or additional items to make your stay more comfortable will immediately be addressed if you simply notify one of our staff members. We are more than willimg to provide extra tissue boxes, a different type of crib or kettle or anything else that you would like. Please feel free to ask on your next visit with us.

And finally, I am sorry to hear about the level of service that you received. We continuously instruct and train our staff to provide a level of service that is unmatched. Apparently you did not receive such service, and for that, again, I apologize.

Nonetheless, we appreciate your stay with us, and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you, again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My expectations are proportional to the price; if it were not as expensive it would have gotten more stars. I thought it was fairly average for a hotel room that was ~$350/night. There are positives and negatives to most hotels, and this is no exception. We were here for three nights during the LA Marathon, and, overall, had a pleasant stay.

Positives (in my opinion):
- Fantastic location. If you're planning on staying in Santa Monica, you won't need a car, and it's a $1 ride on the 3/3 rapid bus to/from LAX
- The one bedroom suite was a nice size, spacious for two people, and had huge windows
- Employees were helpful
- Asked for a coffee maker and along with it came delicious, freshly-ground coffee
- Bed sheets and linens were very nice

Negatives:
- The elevator is old. It requires you to open a heavy door and slide open another gate. It was difficult to do with luggage. I imagine they would help you with it, but it would be a pain to call for help every time if you can't handle stairs
- There are animal heads/horns ALL over, like an old hunting lodge. Antlers were even over our bed (negative for me, maybe not for you)
- Thin walls. You will be able to hear other people
- The dressing area and closets did smell a bit musty
- The shower head was in the middle of the tub, which made for a slightly awkward shower
- As another reviewer pointed out, there was only one frying pan and one pot in the kitchen. There was no pan for the oven and nothing non-stick. No drying towel, either. I'm sure I could have brought a 'request list' to the front desk, but, c'mon, who wants to ask for a million and one things just to be able to use a kitchen?
- The room is cleaned bi-weekly; anything more frequent is $20
- There is no designated area to dispose of the room's trash, but the kitchen only has a very small trashcan. Since the room isn't cleaned daily, I ended up taking our trash to the front desk... kinda awkward
- There is a shelf over the sink in the bathroom. The position of this shelf made it impossible to wash one's face without splashing water all over the floor and/or hitting one's head on the shelf

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ef002014
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear ef002104,

Thank you for recent review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our staff, linens, coffee makers with fresh ground coffee and many other services of the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that some other features weren’t to your liking. As for our elevator, we are in a historically protected building built in the 1920’s. There is not much we can do about the elevator’s speed or heavy door, but we are more than willing to always assist you with your bags if you would like to use the stairs. We would also be more than willing to bring you an extra kitchen supplies.

Finally, I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy some of our decorating choices, including the faux antlers above the bed (they are actually made of resin). But nonetheless, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we all look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We loved our stay at the Palihouse. It was stylish, very comfortable, quiet and in a good location. Breakfast was delicious. The staff were extremely helpful. We experienced none of the problems mentioned in other reviews and would be delighted if the opportunity arose to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Judecrawfy,

Thank you for your five star review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you will be returning; we would love to welcome you back. Thank you again

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Great reception by the cool car valet who took our bags to the front desk where our check in was easy. Since our room was not ready, me and Priscilla had some really good coffees in the beautiful lobby served by the barrista / food guy close to the fireplace. We really liked the decor throughout the hotel and thought it was really cool in a retro sort of way. Really nice design touches in the room and the bed was super comfortable with nice soft sheets and cushy pillows. We liked having a little kitchenette where we could eat our breakfast. We had checked out the website before we came so we knew what to expect about the look, location and feel of this place, so no surprises there. But... We ordered breakfast and everything was cold. On our second night, we couldn't figure out why we were so hot and why our throats were parched. In the morning we realized that the rads were going full tilt and it wasn't even cold outside. Parking was $39.00 a night , gasp. So even though I wanted to love it, given the problems, 6 out of 10.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DansLeZone
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Sizzlamofo,

Thank you for your recent review. It was a pleasure hosting you at Palihouse Santa Monica. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the décor, the bedding and everything the hotel has to offer.

I would like to apologize about your breakfast. I would like to personally invite you back for a complimentary breakfast on your next stay. I know how important it is to start your day off right with a nice hot breakfast!

I am also sorry to hear about the heating issues. Just for reference on your next stay, you are able to turn the radiator off in your room and we are happy to provide someone to assist with showing you how this is done.

In regards to parking, please do note that every hotel in Santa Monica charges this rate and this is market rate. We certainly don’t turn a profit on our parking rates and we do wish we could offer another alternative but unfortunately parking in this area is premium.

Sizzlamofo, please contact me directly (nadeev@palihousesm.com) if you are willing to give us another go. I’m sure we won’t disappoint and I know we can fix all of the issues you had in order for you to come back and give us a 5-star review!

Nadeev
Housemaster
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I discovered Palihouse in a state of panic, grasping to put together an extra day's stay in Santa Monica after my flights were cancelled. Booked through Hotel Tonight, but in the future I would contact the hotel directly. Every staff member I interacted with was super friendly and helpful, from the Valet stand ($36/day for guests or $12/day for visitors) to Front Desk to attendants. The vibe was a bit hipster mixed with a bit granola, totally my pace.

Speaking of granola, the breakfast menu was reasonably priced and the yogurt with fruit and granola ($8 + 20% gratuity) could easily serve two. Cappuccino was spot-on too. When the liquor license gets sorted out, I can envision spending time in the beautiful lobby couches or patio out back with a glass of wine and cheese+fruit tray.

My room was first floor, overlooking the grassy courtyard that my infant son and I played in the next morning. Nice sized room, vanity, and bath (single sink), and fit a pack-n-play (provided for $5/night) with no problem. Finding an Apple TV hooked up for the Samsung TV was an added bonus, and with a wifi hotspot dedicated to every room (no charge!), streaming would be no problem. Yes, the walls are thin. It's an old building. My room backed next to the front desk and I could hear muffled conversations throughout the evening, though it didn't interfere with my sleep or that of my son. No alcohol in the mini bar, but you'll find coconut water, sodas, and an eclectic assortment of a traveler's essentials (candles, shaving cream, underwear, condoms).

I was told most rooms are suite style and have kitchens, as the building's previous life was in hotel apartments. In addition to room service, they provide "stock the pantry" staples for those who do want to cook, even though the Santa Monica Farmers Market (and Promenade) is just a few blocks away. I was told the kitchens "even have blenders, so you can make your own baby food." (These are my people!)

I will certainly be calling Palihouse when I plan my next trip to Santa Monica. Other hotels may be cushier or ritzier, but none have the character and fantastic staff of Palihouse.

Room Tip: If you'd rather cook than eat out, ask for a room with a kitchen and plan to shop the weekly Far...