“LA made good and altogether fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed twice last year; firstly two days R&R following a conference in Orlando (LA is Disneyland for grown-ups) and longer at the end of a significant birthday, (I’m not getting any younger), best-of-California bash. I was intrigued by the Palihouse longer-stay concept, but equally well aware that there are many interesting and well-reviewed hotels in LA. I took a punt, sight unseen by all for the first stay. Helped by my two bookings, I was upgraded on both occasions. Like others, I loved the lobby and grounds and the room space and separate kitchen, especially with two Whole Foods within walking distance. Let's face it - much of LA is a no-go zone without a car; in contrast I enjoyed checking out the neighbourhood, the proximity to Third Street promenade, and longer, somewhat ambitious walks to Venice and a dinner reservation, and also to a great public swimming pool on 16th street. The Palihouse app has some great local recommendations. I also saw a good deal of LA by car, and having made it as far as Silverlake, and also arriving from San Francisco on the PCH, reckon Santa Monica, and the Palihouse is very much a sweet spot.

Downsides? Well as a grown up I can cope with a 1920s bathroom which comes with somewhere intriguing and with a history, so no problems for me. First trip I ditched my car reservation as an experiment and embraced the bus – it's better than you might expect, fantastic for people-watching, but slow for longer trips (ie figure on well over an hour to Wilshire and LACMA) and requires some research. Second time with the car added some unwelcome stress and I really hope this can be resolved. The team helped us out with a parking permit, but hunting that elusive spot on return was almost a disincentive to go anywhere. Otherwise, well LA is vast and it’s an obvious point to consider whether Santa Monica as a location works for you. For example, it’s a schlep to the nightlife if that’s important (I considered a two-centre Palihouse stay given the West Hollywood option.) Ultimately I loved the beach, cycling, running and nearby hiking options – and the fantastic late afternoon light.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear ozfrequentflyer2014,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Palihouse Santa Monica, and thank you for your five star review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Santa Monica. It really sounds like you took full advantage of our beautiful city, and kudos for using the bus. Also, thank you for downloading our free app, Palifornia. Hopefully, you found it to be a very useful tool while exploring the area. Please let us know when you will be returning as we are all looking forward to your next visit. Thanks, again

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I love Laila. I love Athena. I love everyone at Palihouse. My favorite home away from home. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love. Love.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We love our guests! We love your five star review! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I were in LA for 3 nights, as a stopover on our way to Canada. We had looked at many hotels on Tripadvisor trying to decide where to stay, Adam ended up surprising me with PaliHouse! It was our anniversary during our stay and the bottle of wine in our room made it feel like the staff cared we were using their hotel to celebrate. Much appreciated.

Positives of hotel:

Outstanding customer service from Majid and Dan (great restaurant recommendations etc)
Amazingly comfortable bed
Spacious room with wonderful quirky decor
Gorgeous courtyard (we were travelling with our 19 month old daughter so it was wonderful for her to have somewhere to run around)
Wonderful lobby to chill out in
Bikes for hire which is excellent for riding along the promenade

Negatives:

Breakfast took quite a long time to come both mornings we ate at the hotel (40 minutes) but the food was healthy and not the normal huge American portion sizes which we appreciated! Fresh carrot juice is a winner.
Bathroom is small but that is expected in historic buildings and just fine for a few days

Overall absolutely wonderful place to stay, we will again!! Finally, I must mention how happy we were to get an early check in after 18 hrs in transit with a baby from our home in Australia! That set us up for a fab few days exploring. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear TrudyHall,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for your five star review! We were so pleased that you and your husband chose to stay with us on such a special occasion. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the services of Dan, Majed, our comfy beds and our bikes for hire.

I am sorry about the delay on your breakfast. We have recently changed our menu, we are now featuring a new menu of exciting breakfast and lunch items utilizing fresh local ingredients from our neighborhood farms.

Thank you again for staying with us. We all look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel was opened in the fall of 2013. It is located on a quiet residential area two blocks from the beach and 3rd Street Promenade and restaurants. Due to historic property bathrooms are small but room very comfortable and huge closet. Sort if a cross between a large B&B and a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear AKACohen,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for your 4 star review. We are so pleased that enjoyed the hotel so much. We are all looking forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is amazing. Amazing service. Amazing location. Amazing and unique property. And amazing rooms. My family and I stayed there recently because many of the rooms come with full kitchens which makes life with small children much easier. But even with the kitchen we still took advantage of the room service which is very fair in it's prices especially compared to all the hotels in the area. I was in Santa Monica for business but brought my family with me because of the length of the trip. The location of the hotel, so close to the beach and the Promenade made it easy on my wife. And the service can not be beat, the people at the front desk really understand customer service, especially Majed who made every day of our stay....amazing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear David,

Thank you for those kind words! I am so pleased you and your family had a wonderful stay with us. It was a pleasure having you here. I hope to see you guys again real soon :)

Cheers!
Majed

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Loved my 5 night, 6 day stay at PaliHouse Santa Monica! My room was a Grand Studio residence overlooking the front courtyard. I used the kitchen quite a bit and had everything I needed including a high speed blender. Any noises I heard were muffled and did not bother me. The location is super for walking, biking and exploring. Two blocks west is the beach and about six blocks south is Third Street Promenade and the other directions are neighborhood houses.
Especially helpful with ANY and ALL questions, suggestions was Majed at the front desk. Like having your brother to help with anything you need. Thank you Majed! And all staff and housekeeping were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Afdinhouston
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Afdinhouston,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for a five star review. We are very lucky to have an excellent staff, including Majed, that enjoy providing our guests with anything and everything! We are all looking forward to your next stay with us.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This boutique hotel is gorgeous. Very well designed, excellent food and beverages , friendly personable service. This place will be booked out and exclusive in no time at all. Stay while you still can. Majed is warm and welcoming, Jason is jovial, Aiden makes the best cappuccinos in LA! Drop by stop by, stay a while!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Andekr,

Thank you for your recent stay, and thank you for a five star review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your review with Majed, Aiden, Jason and all of the staff that made your stay with us so special. Please let us know when you will be returning; we are looking forward to it! Thank you again