“Love this place”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I moved to Santa Monica in 1956 and lived 6 blocks from here until I moved in 1993. There used to be an ice cream store in the 60s, then several other fast food restaurants gave it a try. Sometime around the 80s (I think), Campos came and made a success of the location.

I continue to this day to buy tacos and nachos here for our weekly softball post-game parties. It's not at all fancy, but the food is delicious which is why it's so busy. It's close to Santa Monica College so it gets the college students, but it also gets a lot of families, couples, and solo eaters all day long.

My favorite item used to be the avocado burrito, but now the hard shell turkey tacos are #1. They use some sort of oil with the lettuce which really makes the burritos and tacos moist and yummy. I've been taking them to the weekly team parties for at least 10 years and everybody loves them. I also grab a couple of the Nachos Dips (without meat) and those go over well, too.

My daughter lives two miles away but if I offer to take her to Campos, we'll drive past 25 other restaurants to enjoy the Campos food. It doesn't hurt that the prices are really low.

I can't believe I hadn't reviewed Campos before now since it's easily my most frequented restaurant. If there was one in Hermosa Beach (where I've lived since 2001), I'd be there all the time.

BTW - the photo of the green building is the Campos on Jefferson, not the one on Pico. The Pico location is the original and still the best.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I've been going here since the 80's. The avocado (veggie) burrito is my favorite, and I love huevos rancheros for breakfast.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook