“Great beach bar/restaurant that has survived time!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 672 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Colorado
Description: Legendary Chez Jay (established 1959) is a Santa Monica Historical Landmark located on Ocean Avenue across from the Pier. Known for its steaks, fresh seafood, generous drinks and comfortable atmosphere, Chez Jay is one of the best celebrity hideaway taverns in all LA. With peanut shells on the floor and its famous jukebox playing, Chez Jay is a place to soak up stories, enjoy a great meal, and have a good time. Stop in and become part of the legend!Lunch: Tue–Fri 11:30am–3pm | Dinner: Mon–Sun 5:30–10pm Brunch: Sat & Sun 9am–2:30pm | Happy Hour 4:30–6pm | Bar open until 2am.
Redwood City, California, USA
“Great beach bar/restaurant that has survived time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great little restaurant just up from the beach. Not your "modern" beach spot, but you can feel the vibe of the 1960's beach and surf bums that surely made it to Chez Jay. The fact that there was an old woody parked out front (randomly) the night of my visit didn't hurt!

Decent menu with "classic" American restaurant dishes - I went for the Sand Dabs Chez Jay - great stuff.

Fun small bar with about 10 stools (I didn't notice any lounge tables, however there was a large party in the restaurant that may have used some of what might have been a "lounge" area). Bartender was very friendly and efficient. Peanuts liberally served - check out the great old photo of a stunt from Chez Jay's early days where a baby elephant was brought in to enjoy some peanuts at the bar.

This is a small place with only 10-12 4-top tables so if it is a busy night or something's going on in town, try to call ahead for reservations.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ccoulson

Santa Monica, CA
“Fun Place to Dine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Chez Jays is a local hangout which has been in Santa Monica for more than 50 years. The food is good, the service is excellent and the "vibe" in the small bar/restaurant is what makes this a favorite place to dine or join friends for drinks after work or play. A lot of history has taken place at Chez Jay's. The owner Mike can relate many stories about the famous who frequented Chez Jay's over the years.

• Visited November 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Never a disappointment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Every time I am in Los Angeles I find the time to visit this time honored establishment and I am never disappointed. The fresh veggie sampler that is served up with your first drinks always help cleanse the pallet and prepares you for the steaks, chops or seafood to follow. Love this place!

Visited September 2013
sarasota
“"Memories"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was a waitress there in 1978-1979. Worked for Jay and his mother Alice. The motel was open and a sweet lady named Dot, was running the motel. Anyone remember this era? Anyway my nick name was "Kentucky". The food was wonderful, due to the chef Wolfgang. But the atmopsphere was why it was packed then. I recently was in the Santa Monica area and dined there. Jay actually remembered me. He kept looking at me, and came over and asked me if I knew him. When I told him who I was, and he and I talked about how the place was still basically the same now as in the seventies. My dinner was excellent, the service great, and I enjoyed the night making more memories!!! I hope the place is there on my next visit to the area.Anyone remember the country girl, Diane? MY accent earned me my nickname, Miss KY.

• Visited March 2013
“Great little find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We found this place by searching on TripAdvisor for a somewhere to eat nearby.
Was a short walk along the street not far form the main Santa Monica area.
We where impressed with the décor, so quirky and so so much history, its oozing in it.
We didn't reserve a table and where placed at a table in the room, was hoping for a booth, but seeing as we hadn't booked it we didn't ask for one.
To our delight after 2 mins the host came back and offered us a booth saying it was not reserved - we didn't even request it!
Food was ordered and came - was lovely, my hisband said it was probably the best cooked steak he ever had, my fish was not amazing, but good enough for what you are paying.
My husband was fascinated with a picture on the wall of an elephant sitting at the bar, we asked one of the waiters about it but he didn't really know its history.
2 mins later to our surprise the owner came out to us and asked us did we want to ask him about it, and then he told us the amazing story.
We where thrilled.
Great place to go, good service, good food and loads to look at and talk about while there.

• Visited October 2013