Its a nice hostel, new and clean. And the location is good too. However, the only problem for me is the staff. They seem not willing to help you at all. Let's not talk about "smile", they don't even look at you when they are talking with you.
Apart from this, I had 2 unpleasant experiences :
1. As you may know, they organize activities and tour sometimes. I joined the Getty Center Tour. On the poster, there written $5 for the transportation. I expected they organized a bus picking us from hostel to there. But it turned out we were going there by taking metro bus. The $5 dollars is for the METRO day pass. Alright, may be I over expected, that’s fine. Here come the bad experience, we left the hostel at 11:00a.m and took a bus to somewhere near “Miracle Miles”, then we needed to take another bus to the Getty center. We stood at the bus stop waiting for the bus for about 45 mins. Finally, we got on the bus, but we were told the Getty Center was closed that day. Then we took another bus back to “Miracle Miles”. The staff suggested to go to LACMA and willing to pay all the entrance fee. But it was already 3:00p.m.
What upset me was I totally waste the whole morning and afternoon doing nothing and that was my last day in L.A. I understand the public transport in L.A. may not be so good. But if they organized a tour, isn’t it their responsibility to make sure everything is fine ? At least they should make sure the destination is open on that day !!
2. I reserved an airport shuttle bus by the help of the staff. She called and arranged everything. By the time I left, I sat in the lobby and waiting for the shuttle bus. But the shuttle bus was late for about 20 mins. I was a bit worried as I don’t want to miss the plane. So I ask the staff (the one who made the reservation), she called the shuttle bus company with SHOWING A BLACK FACE. After she made the call, she just said they were coming, and there was traffic jam with a reckless attitude. Although I didn’t miss the plane and everything ran fine, I was pissed off by her attitude.
Therefore, I will not this hostel to someone who are not familiar with the place, because the staff are not helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HI-Santa Monica hostel is set close to cafes, restaurants and movie theatres, and is only just two blocks from the beach. The J Paul Getty Center, with its spectacular art, architecture and views, is nearby. The hostel has been fully renovated with a fresh, new look. There is capacity for 260 guests and facilities include daily movies, internet access, kitchen, laundry and breakfast.Enjoy your stay at the Santa Monica hostel with easy access to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, UCLA, Venice, Malibu and downtown Los Angeles. A tour operator services the hostel, with daily excursions to Disneyland Resort, Universal Studios, and all the area's famed attractions. This location is the largest purpose-built hostel in the USA,just nine miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Come and check out Santa Monica. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica Hotel Santa Monica