“Everything is fine but the STAFF”

Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica
Hong Kong
“Everything is fine but the STAFF”
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Its a nice hostel, new and clean. And the location is good too. However, the only problem for me is the staff. They seem not willing to help you at all. Let's not talk about "smile", they don't even look at you when they are talking with you.

Apart from this, I had 2 unpleasant experiences :

1. As you may know, they organize activities and tour sometimes. I joined the Getty Center Tour. On the poster, there written $5 for the transportation. I expected they organized a bus picking us from hostel to there. But it turned out we were going there by taking metro bus. The $5 dollars is for the METRO day pass. Alright, may be I over expected, that’s fine. Here come the bad experience, we left the hostel at 11:00a.m and took a bus to somewhere near “Miracle Miles”, then we needed to take another bus to the Getty center. We stood at the bus stop waiting for the bus for about 45 mins. Finally, we got on the bus, but we were told the Getty Center was closed that day. Then we took another bus back to “Miracle Miles”. The staff suggested to go to LACMA and willing to pay all the entrance fee. But it was already 3:00p.m.

What upset me was I totally waste the whole morning and afternoon doing nothing and that was my last day in L.A. I understand the public transport in L.A. may not be so good. But if they organized a tour, isn’t it their responsibility to make sure everything is fine ? At least they should make sure the destination is open on that day !!

2. I reserved an airport shuttle bus by the help of the staff. She called and arranged everything. By the time I left, I sat in the lobby and waiting for the shuttle bus. But the shuttle bus was late for about 20 mins. I was a bit worried as I don’t want to miss the plane. So I ask the staff (the one who made the reservation), she called the shuttle bus company with SHOWING A BLACK FACE. After she made the call, she just said they were coming, and there was traffic jam with a reckless attitude. Although I didn’t miss the plane and everything ran fine, I was pissed off by her attitude.

Therefore, I will not this hostel to someone who are not familiar with the place, because the staff are not helpful.

• Liked — The location of the hostel
  • Disliked — The service provided by the staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I stayed at the HI Santa Monica for 5 nights in July and had a great time. the location is great, just a block from the beach and pier, and a block from the Thrid Street Promenade. Santa monica and Los Angeles buses are plentiful and close by as well. This hostel is big and has a nice courtyard and large kitchen. They seem to be having a problem with the keycards, you basically have to get them reswiped each time you come in. The staff at times seemed a little unfriendly, I think they are overworked.. it's a very busy hostel. Each Wednesday they have a pubcrawl for $25. It was a great way to meet other travellers.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank travelinomad
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2008

This large hostel is very new. A big foyer with helpful desk staff. Swipe cards for keys, stairs and a lift! Breakfast is included and is great. eggs, cereal, toast, bagels, tea, coffee, juice, fruit.
Rooms have a seperate shower, sink and toilet (what a great idea!!) the room I stayed in had 8 bunks with a terrace. They assign you a bed number and a matching locker number. Free wifi or cheap computers. Huge flat screen tvs and another huge movie room with huge screen. A huge laundry as well.
This is definatly a great hostel that you can base yourself at with tours running into down town LA area, and very easy to get too and from the airport. Only one street back from the beach and shopping. Excellent location.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — i wish i had of stayed there longer
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Had a fantastic stay here in this hostel. Like no other hostel I've stayed in before! Everything was all so new and looked after, and very secure. Best location in Santa Monica, sandwiched between the main shopping street and the beach - 5min walk to each. Near bus links for the airport and to wider LA. You simply cant get a better location for this kind of money.

Santa Monica was beautiful and a great base to explore LA.

Enjoy!

• Liked — location!
  • Disliked — staff weren't the friendliest
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights, really good experience. I am a female who was travelling alone and i felt completely safe. Great location, so close to the beach and 3rd street promenade. Staff a little disorganised, but it was really busy. Can store your luggage for a few hours before check-in / after check-out no problems. Clean room with lockers, shared bathrooms were fine. Internet access, library, laundry. Excellent value, i think my bed in an 8-bed drom was about 35 dollars per night.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank lauz106
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2008

The hostel itself is really nice, one of the best i've stayed in. The rooms are spacious and clean and the kitchen is great and also the tv room and internet rooms too. It really is lovely. Such a shame about the staff because HI hostels are usually a really nice atmosphere.

I would recommend this hostel because its nice, clean and close to everything in Santa Monica and cheap but just thought mentioning the staff would let people know what to expect so that they might not be too bothered if they encounter the same as me!

I stayed here for two days recently, We had booked two nights and paid a deposit for both. On our arrival the staff member at check-in said that we had only booked for one night (even when we showed him our confirmation that said two nights he tried to persuade us that 'Sat 19th and Sun 20th 2 beds each night' meant that we checked in on the saturday and out on the sunday :/ mmm) Anyway so then another lady said for us not to worry and that she would sort it so then we thought it would be ok. However, she then told us that they could take us for 2 nights but that we would have to check out and back in again the next day and store our luggage etc. We really wouldn't have minded too much if they would have been nice and just admitted that they had made a mistake, because these things happen, but the woman made it seem like she was doing us a favour even though it was them who lost the reservation. She actually said 'well we are actually doing what is required, we're accomodating you for 2 nights' she also said it was normal procedure, which it isn't because a) I've stayed in plenty of hostels before where its unlikely this would happen unless you decide to stay longer last minute and b) it actually says on the confirmation we had to sign that you have to pay for your whole stay on check-in and they wanted me to pay each night separate on this occasion. Like i said we really wouldn't have minded if they would have been nice about it but the woman was really horrible to us.

Also..they said there would be no water from 9-3 which again is fair enough if there is work being done, but it didnt actually come back on until 7 and then it was cold. My point isn't the water, its that everytime we asked the staff about it, they just really didnt seem to care at all. Also when we came in at 4.30am the security guard was asleep at the desk and we just sailed on through. That was quite funny actually but didnt really fill us with confidence. :)

Anyway...i wouldn't let this or any other review stop you from staying here because Santa Monica is lovely and the hotel is pretty and cheap. Just ignore the staff! :)

• Liked — Cleanliness, layout and location
  • Disliked — The mean staff!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank xNataleex
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2008

This was the very first place I stayed at on my first overseas voyage, and I must say it was a very positive experience. I stayed in a six bed dorm with a shower & the security is excellent, unlike other hostels I have since stayed at. Like some other reviewers, I found that the atmosphere around the place wasn't quite what I expected, considered the location, I would have thought the place would be buzzing at night, but it was actually all pretty quite. I saw a few signs up for some structured activities in the coming weeks, but nothing while i was there. The staff were less friendly/willing to chat than I expected, but did do a good job. But having said all that, this is a $30/night hostel, and if you're just after a clean, cheap, secure place to sleep/stay, this is EXCELLENT

• Liked — The security was excellent
  • Disliked — Lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo