“Awesome location and very tidy room.”
Review of Ocean Lodge Hotel

Ocean Lodge Hotel
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Seattle, Washington
“Awesome location and very tidy room.”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed for a second time at the Ocean lodge and my stay was as nice as the first time. Very nice location, onsite parking and a very nice restaurant within 50 ft of the hotel. The staff was professional and helpful when I needed directions to a business meeting. My next visit from Seattle will include a stop of the Ocean Lodge.

Room Tip: Really close to the Santa Monica Pier.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fmcpeek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Because of the nature of my work, which involves a lot of traveling, I have had the opportunity to stay in hotels of all ranges, from 5-star ones to inexpensive motels. However, I can say with all my experience that the Ocean Lodge Hotel is by far the worst one I have had the misfortune of staying in.

Did you know of any hotels in the US that still uses actual keys instead of Access Cards to open the room doors in year 2014? Well, neither did I, until I came across this place. As soon as I entered, I found myself in a room about the size of my apartment's kitchen. The bathroom was like a public restroom in State Park. There was rust all over the small cupboard above the washbasin. There was hardly any furniture in the room to even keep my stuff. And I quickly realized my foolishness, when I expected a Microwave and a small refrigerator in the room. In simplest terms, you pay a huge amount here to stay in something worse than a Project! I wouldn't ever stay at this place, even if someone paid me to do so.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kunal V

Travellers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We couldn't have picked a better hotel and it was significantly less expensive than most in the area (and most of them were much further from the Pier). It's an old motel, but they are renovating all the rooms. Ours was spotlessly clean, the beds very comfortable (and not sagging) and the linens were good -- looked fairly new. My only complaint was that the facet in the bathroom was broken, and we could only get cold water. Maids must have known it was broken, yet it had not been fixed. This hotel is a 5 minute walk, also, from the 3rd Street Promenade -- which you must also go to. Great shopping & restaurants there. No restaurant and no continental breakfast.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have heavy bags or mobility problems, choose the ground floor. 2 Units at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was going to LAX to pick my niece and a friend up for a cruise over Christmas and decided since their plane was not getting in until late that we would just stay in a hotel and drive back to Capistrano Beach the next day to go on our Christmas cruise on the NCL Star.

This hotel is right across the street from the beach and about a long block from the Santa Monica pier. You can tell it is old but is very clean and the people are great and really want to please you. From the first email I sent until the last one once we returned home they were very fair and responded to everything I questioned and did what it took to make me happy. They also have free Wi-Fi which is great now-a-days any where.

I would highly recommend this hotel and if you have any questions I would gladly answer them for you. Just remember that this is not your typical high-rise fancy hotel and you don't have all the amenities that come with those. When we wanted a extra pillow at 11:00 at night there was no one in the office to get it for us. But we made do with what we had.

PS: If you are handicapped, L A County has a law that we do not pay for parking anywhere as long as the times are legit. Just remember this when you are parking your handicapped vehicle anywhere in LA County.

Room Tip: We were in a 2 bed 1 bath room and it was plenty large enough for 3 adults. 2 double beds in main r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank plumber22
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had a very nice stay and loved the location. Room was nice in size, very clean and even had a decent wifi connection. I loved the park next door and how close it was to the Santa Monica Pier. I will stay there the next time I am in town

Room Tip: I liked my room on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Fmcpeek
Bay Point, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Took my 8 yr old granddaughter to Disneyland this summer and wanted to share 3rd Street Promenade with her as she is a bit of a singer and entertainer so I thought this would be entertainers heaven. Made no reservations and drove around the area we wanted to be until we saw this hotel had a vacancy. I was very shocked at the price of the small room approx $200, They said it was high season, August. Expensive for what looked like a budget hotel with no pool.Being a tired Grandma we decided to stop driving around and check in 1/2 block from the Santa Monica Pier. Parking is very dicey, tight spaces and no room to maneuver. But the housekeeping staff was eager to help add an extra set of eyes when parking. When the room was opened it was overpowering of what smelled like carpet deodorizer/perfume, but there were no other rooms. So we opened the windows and the odor dissappaited shortly and we were able to rest in a comfortable bed with very nice linens and good pillows. The bedspread was a nice soft heavyweight 100% cotton spread. I cannot stand the slippery synthetic ones. The furniture looked newly decorated and was tastefully done. It was nice to have a window in the bathroom for better airflow from the 2nd window along the front of the bedroom. We slept well, it was close to a full service grocery store, good food next door restaurant. At first my 8 yr. old granddaughter was put off by the ambiance of the next door restaurant. It looks like a bar. But she was won over by the yummy pancakes the next morning and decided she had been too judgemental of what her first impression was. It was a nice crowd in the morning and not all all loud and crazy as she had expected. We even enjoyed the free peanuts & veggies before the meal in the afternoon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This hotel is ideally located right in the centre of Santa Monica. Initially it seems quite expensive, but is a bargain compared to the other nearby hotels.
Our room was relatively basic but clean, and in good condition. The reception staff were polite, friendly and very helpful. Has Wifi.
Better to park in the car park between the hotel and the next restaurant - where there are spaces reserved for the hotel, though may not be immediately obvious (at least was not to us on arrival). The parking immediately in front of the hotel is a tight squeeze to get in to, and risks getting scraped if another resident is not so careful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple