“still ok,but starting to show it's age and getting expensive.”

Best Western Plus Gateway Hotel Santa Monica
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sardinia, Italy
“still ok,but starting to show it's age and getting expensive.”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Regular guest at this hotel, just returned from another good stay. The hotel is still nice and clean with great bedding and easy access,but at 149$ per night is getting a bit more expensive for what you get. Will stay again only if I'll get a better rate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vegasvet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
michigan
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This hotel was a great base location for our trip to LA. It is a mile from Santa Monica beach and all it has to offer. The rooms were good size, very clean and the beds were very comfortable. IHOP was convenient and offered many options.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The staff at the hotel were extremely attentive. While checking in we were given a map of the area, restaurant suggestions (on a print-out, made by hotel staff) and a 20% off IHOP card for lunch/dinner. They were more than willing to check our luggage and there were no issues at all with the during our stay.
Our fourth floor room was clean and well kept. Noise from outside was very minimal despite being on Santa Monica Blvd and near a hospital. However, the walls are not the most sound proof so neighbouring guests may create some noise. For instance, the taps on the sink are creaky (a metal on metal noise) whenever the knob is turned and there is obviously a design defect in them because we could hear the creak from our neighbours taps every time they used the sink. The bed was fine; it wasn't the same quality you receive in a four star resort but was comfortable. Our room also came with a flat screen TV and bar fridge. The fourth floor also has a sundeck with tables/chairs for guests to enjoy.
WiFi was free, however it was slow in the evenings. Make sure to get the current username/password from the front desk as they change it on occasion.
Parking was free, you just need to grab a pass from the front desk to put on your rearview mirror.
The shuttle was available to take you to the 3rd Street area and the beach however we did not use it. They advertise that it only runs at certain times (I believe it will only leave the hotel on the hour and only pick you up at 15 after the hour) so it's not always convenient. It took 20-30 minutes to walk to 3rd Street from our hotel.
The location of the hotel is not necessarily ideal for most travelers. While it is perfect for those needing access to the hospital across the street, we found the location to be quite a distance from most of the things we wanted to do. While everything is a trade-off and the price of the hotel room reflects this it cannot be overlooked that you will most likely find little around your actual hotel to occupy your time. If you like to be "in the thick" of things in a tourist area this hotel definitely isn't for you.
The service at the IHOP was good, we never had to wait for a table and the food was consistent. Not amazing, but consistent. We found a local bakery called "DK's Donuts" around 16th/17th street and Santa Monica Blvd that we went to for a quick breakfast - they had breakfast sandwiches (served all day) and fresh donuts. Definitely worth the 3-5 minute walk and they are open 24/7.
A taxi from the airport was about $48 (plus tip) from the airport with minimal traffic. With that in mind, I would recommend taking the shuttle for small groups. For 2 people it was $28 (plus tip).

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up to avoid ground level noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trevor-EDM
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Situated "midtown". 40 minutes walk to beach. Hotel shuttle ($1 each way per person). 20 to 30 minutes from LAX. I-hop restaurant next door excellent. Staff excellent. Rooms comfortable. Could do with " a lick-of-paint". Clean tho'. Pharmacy near-by. Bank 2 blocks away. Convenience store 3 blocks towards downtown. 3rd Street mall excellent. "Sight seeing tour of Bel Air and Hollywood" good (half-day). Beach/promenade excellent.
Stop-over on way to NZ. 3 nights, could have done with a couple more as Santa Monica really nice.

2 Thank franciscan45
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Travelled all the way across the pacific to have major surgery. Staff and service was excellent. They made every way possible to make sure that me and my family's stay was not only comfortable but also aided in my recovery. Thank you to the staff. Myself and my family will return.

• Stayed November 2011
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Nice clean rooms and a location that is probably convenient for some, but if you stay there on the weekend when the parking garage is being power washed you'll be in for some major inconvenience. I was planning to be away from the motel most of Saturday, from 5 AM to about 9 PM. When I checked in on Friday I saw signs warning of the power washing of the parking garage on Saturday. They said all vehicles had to be removed from the garage before 2 PM or be towed. I asked about that and the desk clerk told me that they would provide free parking at another site and that the parking attendant would direct me. I asked if I could do this as early as 5 AM on Saturday. The clerk assured me that I could, that it would be no problem.

Come 5 AM on Saturday and there is no parking attendant. No one to tell me where the alternate parking is. I went inside to speak to the desk clerk, Christopher. He told me the parking attendant would not come on duty until 8 AM! He said he knew nothing about where I should move my vehicle, he was working alone, and he saw no need to try to get any information to try to help me. We seemed to be at an impasse. I needed to get going, but this desk clerk was not going to take any responsibility for the lack of service. After more discussion, he suggested I put my vehicle in one of the "Check-In Only" spots, which are not in the garage to be cleaned. I did that and he took my vehicle and room info and said he would pass it on to the day staff.

After 8 AM I called the hotel and spoke to the front desk. My information had, of course, NOT been passed on to the day staff, so I told them the situation and described my vehicle.

In short, if you've got no vehicle you're okay. Otherwise, ask in advance if they'll be power washing the garage during your stay.

1 Thank Ron G
utah
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My Dad had a stroke and I had to come into town on short notice. The staff Gloria and Julio were great to work with. Very understanding and got me a great rate. When I would come back to the hotel they would ask how my dad was doing, Very friendly staff. Nice, clean place--with all the stress dealing with my dad's medical condition the last thing I wanted was hotel issues. What a relief to have a relaxing place to stay. Free wi-fi to take care of work I had to get done. Convenient to St John's and Arborview rehab. Really it's close to everything. Kudos again to Gloria and Julio for making a sad trip a little better.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct for best rates.