“Character hotel in great location, hope to return”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sheffield
“Character hotel in great location, hope to return”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed at The Georgian for a week at the beginning of August - this was a work trip but we chose to stay in Santa Monica rather than in downtown LA and what a wise decision that was.

The Georgian is a lovely hotel in a great location. Yes, it's on a main road (and being English it was a pain that I couldn't actually cross the road from outside the hotel but had to walk down the road to the pedestrian crossing) but the fact we were on a main road did not seem to detract from the view and it was nice eating breakfast on the veranda, looking out at the Pacific. Breakfast was very slow service, especially as we were eating at 7am and there was basically no-one else there, but when it finally arrived it was good.

I have to contradict comments about the service at Reception. The lady who dealt with me on arrival was excellent and very helpful when I asked specific things. She also gave me information about the Minibar, ice, possibility of loaning me a fridge as I was staying for a whole week. Every subsequent contact with her was good & I cannot fault her on her customer service and professionalism.

My room was cleaned & made up early each day and I was surprised the first day to return & find there was a turn down service. The room itself was fine: good comfortable bed, ample closet space, direct line phone, free wifi (although this was at times a little flaky) fully stocked minibar (but beware if you pick anything up it's charged immediately to your room) tea & coffee making facilities and good bathroom. Everything you really need, in good condition and very clean.

The hotel itself is rather quaint and you really get that sense of history, with the old fashioned lift and even the peep holes & door knockers. The decor certainly adds character to the public areas and gives the whole hotel a nice feel. As I've already said, the hotel is on a main road facing the Pacific. Unfortunately I had a room at the back of the hotel & so didn't get the view from my room, but the location was good nonetheless & it was nice to stroll through the trees & park area opposite the hotel, whilst admiring that fantastic view. For those wanting a good location for the beach, it's perfect, whilst still only a couple of minutes walk from the main pedestrianised areas of Santa Monica.

Thanks for a great stay - I wouldn't hesitate in staying at The Georgian on subsequent visits to LA.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view at the front of the hotel as the views from the back are very uninspiring...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SheffieldMoon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Hebrew first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were delighted with the Georgian Hotel. We stayed there at the beginning and end of a 3-week trip around California and it was one of the nicest places we stayed. The location is great - we had lovely views over the sea and towards the Pier (I would recommend requesting a room on the side facing the Pier), but it was also just 5 minutes walk from the fabulous 3rd Street Promenade area. It IS set back from the sea, but personally I don't mind a few palm trees obscuring the view. The rooms were a good size (we were 2 adults and 2 teenagers and fitted in fine), and the decor, furnishings etc were really lovely. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was small, but everything worked, and details like robes, nice toiletries and fluffy towels meant that size really didn't matter. Staff were very helpful and friendly and the food was good. The roads between the hotel and the sea are fairly busy, but we felt that was to be expected given its location (look on Google Earth). We were certainly not disturbed by noise from the road.

2 Thank ALLY2098
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights at the start of August 2012, and have to say, from the moment I walked through the door, I was disappointed with the service from staff at this hotel. The hotel itself is nice to look at, is very clean and the room was really nice and very comfortable. Food was nice. The waiting staff and porters were lovely - pleasant, full of smiles and very helpful;

However, the customer service of the front desk staff leaves a lot to be desired and completely overshadowed anything nice about this place. On approaching the desk to inform them of my (early) arrival, not once did the man behind the desk smile. He ordered me to wait until after 3pm for check in. A smile goes a long way. I waited until a couple of mins after 3pm only to be told by an older gentleman behind the desk that my room wasn't ready on time. 20 mins later I was invited to come check in.

I was then asked for $200 to cover "incidentals".....! If I had been told of this in advance, I would have budgeted for it (although actually, it's a pretty ridiculous sum of money to ask of a guest IN ADVANCE of their stay, not to mention insulting to assume that every customer will trash their room, so I therefore would have reconsidered making a reservation with this hotel in the first place). I was basically told I had to pay the fee or else I would have nowhere to stay for the next two days. Yes, take my credit card details like most hotels do, and then charge as necessary at check-out, but DO NOT take money from me for nothing beforehand!!!! He managed to get the fee down to $65, a small consolation considering I didn't trash the room or use the mini-bar, or use the in-room telephone that I discovered on the last day didn't actually work; I had to go down to reception in person to ask for a late check-out. My "incidentals" money wasn't returned to my account until two days after check-out.

I definately WOULD NOT return to this hotel. Considering how much money I paid for this place in the first instance, the service certainly does not match up to the price. Please find below quote from the documentation I was emailed when I booked my room here:

"The price shown above DOES NOT include any applicable hotel service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls), or regulatory surcharges. The lodging will assess these fees, charges, and surcharges upon check-out."

- Nowhere does this mention that the customer is asked for $200 at check-in. Future guests - beware!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank deetee23
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 8 days in july 2012. It was a fantastic week in Santa Monica, also due to the location and charm of the Georgian hotel. Just a 2 minutes walk from the SM Pier, and located on "the beachfront". Nearby, 1 minute away, you have the Promenade in 3rd street, a lot of buses, taxis, shops, restaurants and everything you ever wanted on a holiday location. The prices are fair, the rooms are nice, they have valet parking and the Terrace yoy have to visit - every day. Perhaps only for a small drink, for eating breakfast or for heavy dining. The choice is yours. We used it at least twice a day. Even the wifi functioned well at the Terrace... We can recomend this hotel - for us it fullfilled our expectations.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed at The Georgian 8/11-8/14 with my family. Visiting from South Florida. The hotel is elegant, clean and comfortable. Perfect location. MOST importantly--the staff could not have been any more attenttve--from the minute you walk in to check-out--from valet, to bellmen, to restaurant/bar staff to front desk, to housekeeping. This is the way a hotel SHOULD be run. Bravo. We'll be back.

For those guests who complain about the price--if $300/night is too much, then I recommend staying in LA at one of the chains for $149/night. Or--you can stay at Shutters in Santa Monica for $600/night.

Room Tip: High floor--partial Ocean works. We were in 706. Amazing.
1 Thank TrolleyDodger
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Hotel is decorated in art deco style from 1930's. Rooms were very small and my "oceanfront" view was a very small window overlooking the street, large palm trees, and a very small piece of beach. The traffic outside never stopped... Busses, cars, trucks. UGH! Made the room very noisy! I paid $350+ for this room and it definitely was NOT worth it. Although the hotel is nice, there are so many other options for $350! I wanted to be close to the beach... We are across the street, but the street is busy, and then there is a short walk to the beach. Far when you have to carry stuff! Close to the Pier, which was convenient. The traffic noise and the nouse in the hallways made the stay unbearable. I would look into other hotels as I am sure there are better value hotels in this price range!

Room Tip: The "ocean view" rooms are not worth the additional cost.
1 Thank Patricia55555
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed for one night at the Georgian hotel. The staff were friendly and the rooms well kept. It has a great location near the Santa Monica pier and was within walking distance from a range of other attractions. Valet service was provided (at a a cost).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple