“Perfect place and perfect location”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Quad Cities
“Perfect place and perfect location”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We took our granddaughter on her fantasy trip to LA. We had a suite - queen sofa bed in the living room and large bedroom separated by French doors;Perfect for a touch of separation anxiety. We had lunch on the veranda - delicious. Pablo is a thoughtful waiter and so helpful.
The Hotel has been lovingly restored. Located right across from the Beach, we enjoyed the Santa Monica pier and walked the boardwalk. Wonderful restaurants are all over and the promenade is two blocks up. We also took the Rastabus tour of LA and it starts right across the street!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank travelling-du0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hebrew first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I don't want anyone to think this is not a gem of a hotel. Interesting history and quaintness are there for sure.
It's just always disappointing to me when I've visited a hotel before, when it was really nice and newly decorated. Forward 6 or so years later, and it seems nothing has been done to upkeep the furnishings and finishes in the guestrooms.
My daughter and I stayed in an upper level Ocean View Suite. As before the room is laid out very functionally and the view across Ocean Ave. of Santa Monica beach and Palisade Park is BEAUTIFUL, but walking into a musty dark room with threadbare furnishings and dirty carpet is so disappointing. They could have had the window open, AC on, something welcoming. The bell hop asked if everything was ok. I guess he sensed our lack of enthusiasm?
It was just such a let down from our visit before when everything was fresh.
Everyone we encountered staff wise was very nice and helpful.
Sitting in front of the large open picture window soaking in the breeze was intoxicating and memorable. Even with all the street noise.
Be aware that if you are a super light sleeper, that this is a very busy area of Ocean Ave. with buses and traffic. I'm a light sleeper, and it only bothered me one out of 6 nights. Traffic noise is something you have to put up with much of the time in Pacific view hotels in California. Again, if you don't mind it, the Veranda in front of the hotel is a nice place to eat or just hang out. Breakfast time is a little less noisy.
One final note, especially to those with small children:
This area of Santa Monica has one of the largest homeless populations I have ever seen. I guess the beautiful weather, many tourist with cash, and missions nearby all factor into this. It is sad to see so many for sure, and I'm sure there are many different stories here. However, when your walking home late at night (2 females), it's quite unnerving to have so many people approach you for money. However, the location is convenient to many good restaurants, Third street, and Santa Monica Place mall.
You don't need a car to get to them.
I'm not saying that I wouldn't stay here again, just not until they have refurbished their rooms.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy H
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Cindy H,

It was a pleasure to have, both you and your daughter, here with us. Your praise of our staff is appreciated. It is important to note that we continue to update / upgrade our guestrooms and suites as well as our public areas, on a regular basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back to share our hospitality and changes with you. Do not hesitate to contact me, with knowledge of your preference, we can enhance your experience.

Kind Regards,

Laura W.
Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for a birthday weekend and had a wonderful time . I got a last minute deal on their Ocean View Suite and I was not disappointed. This is a fun and beautiful hotel. The thing I loved about this hotel was that the room I had gotten looked exactly like the room that was shown on their website (Room 704). Far too often you see amazing photos on hotel websites but once you get there, the room you get does not live up to the expectations of the photographs seen. But, my room was just as lovely and had the amazing views shown in the photos on their website. Also, The Georgian is within walking distance of a lot of fun places including the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, and of course the beach!

This hotel has great character, a fabulous staff and wonderful rooms. I would definitely stay here again when in Santa Monica.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FlatowLeach
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is a very nice boutique hotel right across the street from the beach. There are lots of restaurants and stores nearby and it's within a short walk of the Santa Monica pier. I do think it was overpriced, but I knew the price when I booked it, and the place was so unique. My room was huge! It was spotless and comfortable, and the amenities were very nice. The elevators are a hoot; they are tiny. I was greeted with great warmth by the staff and treated very well throughout my stay. The patio was under construction during my stay, but it was obviously a nice place to relax with some tapas and watch the crowd go by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 333DDD
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After walking palisades park there and back, I was looking for something to eat on ocean drive, next to the sea. Amongst all the modern buildings, one seemingly shabby building stood out. This was the historic Georgian Hotel. Historic in USA terms, it was built in 1931 and is classified as one of the historic hotels of the USA, but best of all it has a raised terrace in front overlooking the street, the beach and Pacific Ocean beyond. There I got a reasonable lunch, both in terms of quality and price, and had the pleasure of sitting in the shade and watching who and what passed by, as well as the accomplished street musician over the road. Free wifi on the terrace. I had a Cobb salad, an ice cream dessert, and a pot of coffee. After lunch and intrigued, I found the restroom inside, passing through the Georgian period looking reception, indoor restaurant and sitting room. The restroom was faux Georgian as well. Really interesting and a pity I could not stay there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mel B
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Mel B,

Thank you for taking the time to utilize and review our Veranda Restaurant. We value your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed the time spent at our hotel. When your travels bring you back to Santa Monica, please consider staying with us as you will not be disappointed. We strive to ensure all guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience, with memories that will last a lifetime.

Kind Regards,

Management
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my second stay at the Georgian. I returned for the location and familiarity. It's an older hotel with a lot of character, so if that is worth something to you, then it's worth the price. If you prefer new, upscale and modern then this is not the place for you -- especially for this price. I'd like to call out appreciation for the friendly staff, especially Pablo. He helped us out at breakfast -- we ordered the two things that he recommended (French Toast Souffle & Santa Monica omelet). They both hit the spot! I don't usually eat at hotel restaurants, but was glad that I did. We sat out on the patio overlooking the water and it was a perfect ending to our stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cannidy
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 1 night. Super close to the Santa Monica pier. The room was huge! Beds and pillows were great. It's an old hotel so it has lots of character. also close to the 3rd Ave shopping promenade and tons of restaurants. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2014