“Disappointing stay”

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I had call to request a quiet room away from the elevator. Upon arrival, the front desk staff were on the phone sorting out an issue, so I had to wait a bit before I they got to me.

During my check in, I asked whether I have a quiet room I requested, I was told, "yes, you are on the top floor". Then when I looked at my paperwork I realized they made a mistake..they had me down as someone else. I was assigned a different room. The process took about 15 minutes.

I went up to my room, and discovered that it was situated NEXT to the elevator. Not just any elevator--the old school ones with an additional door.

I went back downstairs to request a different room. I was told all the rooms were sold out. If I wanted a different room I would have to pay another $50 to upgrade.

I ended up paying the difference as I just wanted to get some rest. Overall, just a frustrating experience.

I found my room to be dark and outdated. Very few amenities for the price. Definitely not a place I'd stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Mimi T,

Satisfying our guests is of paramount importance. Your opinions are valued, please do not hesitate contact me to further share your thoughts and ideas as to what makes for successful business travel.

Should you reconsider and plan to return to The Georgian Hotel, do not hesitate to call upon us directly so that we can insure that you will have accommodations and the experience that will please you.

Laura W.
Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com

There are newer reviews for The Georgian Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights during late June 2014 and we were more than delighted. The place has so much history and charm, and that charm is reflected in the hotel's staff and service. From the front desk personnel to the valets, they were always helpful, accommodating, and greeted us with a smile. The hotel and our room were clean and comfortable. It is an older property, so you can expect older/retro construction and moldings, but they were in excellent condition, and it added to the hotel's appeal. The old elevators were great to experience and everything is very well maintained. The restaurant in the lobby/porch area of the hotel has an excellent breakfast menu, great food, and a great waitstaff that constantly kept our coffee cup full. Also, I read some comments about rooms being next to the elevators and there were some noise issues. Our room was located directly next to the elevators. Occasionally, there's a very SLIGHT mechanic sound. It's not noticeable if you're doing anything else besides listening for it. We never noticed it while watching TV or while sleeping. The hotel is in a great central location in beautiful Santa Monica. I definitely look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After three nights on the road, driving down the highway 1 from SF to LA, stepping into the Georgian Hotel felt like stepping into a dream. We stayed in a suite, big and spacious, with a view of the ocean, beach ande pier. It was a place for rest and we loved it. The service was correct. The food (breakfast and dinner) was fine nothing out of the ordinary, but filling and good tasting, the veranda were we sat and ate was wonderful. Here you could watch people walking by, guests arriving to and departing from the hotel, traffic passing, the palm trees moving in the sea breeze across in the park across the street. The hotel has a history which you can sense as soon as you step into the foyer. We loved it and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view. The suites are fantastic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We decided to spend the night in Santa Monica before catching an international flight from LAX mid-morning the next day. We got the last room with an ocean view - the rooms next door were labled "Carol Lombard" and "Clark Gable". Room was rather expensive and rather small but nice; bathroom was art deco with turquoise and black tiles. The staff was fabulous - very friendly and service oriented. We spent a long afternoon on the hotel patio overlooking the ocean, people watching while enjoying a cheese plate and a bottle of champagne. It's a lifestyle one could get used to. We will return to this hotel anytime we need to catch a flight from LAX the next day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear EpicureoEducado,

We are delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent at The Georgian Hotel! With the Clark Gable and Carole Lombard suites, you experienced some of Hollywood's Elite history as the aforementioned rooms were the beginning of their illicit love affair. If these walls could speak, the stories they would tell!

Pairing the suites with a relaxing day on the Veranda, you enjoyed the quintessential Santa Monica experience. We can think of no better way to unwind prior to flying to our next destination! Please keep The Georgian in mind for any future accommodations in Santa Monica.

Best,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and i stayed here for three nights in early July. The location is perfect; right by the beach, close to the pier, the shopping and many restaurants. Despite all of this the hotel is still quiet and our sleep was not disturbed at all.

We choose a package which included breakfast and valet parking as we knew we would have a car and have to pay to park it. With the price to park daily being around $18, it was much more cost effective to include it within the package directly on the hotel's website.

The hotel is quite unique and has a great deal of character, which has been maintained throughout. However we could hear everything in the neighbouring room through the bathroom unfortunately. The rooms are large and very comfortable, and we had a queen bed each - which is unheard of in the U.K.

The breakfast was very good, if a little too much. Although i'm not sure at $15 -18 per person without drinks we would have had it without the included package. The staff at breakfast seemed particularly rushed and often got side orders wrong, although it was normally the distribution of it rather than that it was ordered incorrectly. One morning all the tables were full and three tables including ours were given the wrong bread choice. They just couldn't cope with the amount of people having breakfast there, although they were very apologetic and they simply swapped it around.

We had two problems whilst we were there. Firstly and less significantly the flush on the toilet was almost broken off when we got there. We reported it on our way out and on our return it had been fixed. The next issue was a wet carpet which just got worse. At first we thought something had been spilt before we went into the room however when it was wet the next day we reported it. On returning to our room the carpet remained wet and all that had been done was the window had been opened. So the next day we reported it again, after i had trodden in it for about the fifth time! Again on our return the carpet was still wet but it had definitely spread, although this time there was a fan blowing to try and dry it. We got ready to go out for the evening and a maintenance man came by to remove the fan. He didn't come back after and nothing more appeared to be done. It appeared as if the water could have been coming from the area of the air conditioning, however I'm not sure he understood what i meant as he didn't speak English. So again we mentioned it to reception. Considering the room rate and the overall expectations I had of the hotel I was a little bit surprised that a room change or any type of compensation other than a simple sorry was ever offered despite us mentioning the issue three times, and it never actually being rectified.

Overall great location, nice hotel, good customer service (in the restaurant if a little short staffed), just avoid room 405 and don't hope for 5 star customer service when/if you have a problem.

Room Tip: Avoid 405 as it may still have a water leak
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear christycerny,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Georgian. We strive to ensure each stay is memorable and exceeds any and all expectations. With that said, we apologize for any inconveniences you suffered during your time at the hotel. Your assessment was very fair considering you had a leaking air conditioning condenser in your room, thus the water problem. These events are unexpected and happen in rare occasions. We are looking into various ways to rectify those problems and expedite solutions in future cases. Your feedback was much appreciated.

Please feel free to contact us directly the next time you will be traveling into Santa Monica. We will do our utmost to ensure your stay is nothing but positive!

Regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in Santa Monica at the Georgian Hotel for 3 nights in early July. The people who work here are extremely nice and willing to help. On our check out day we were making a stop at a beach on our way up to Santa Barbara but didn't have any towels. I asked Michael at the front desk where I can get cheap towels nearby and he just handed over two of the hotel beach towels and said "Enjoy!" Very nice touch. Carlos from the valet was super nice and friendly, as well as Placido who waited on us for breakfast every morning. My few complaints bringing my rating down to 4 stars is the room was very small and facing an alley that was very noisy in the morning when the trash was picked up. Also, the cell service in our room was poor. The hotel had an amazing location, right near the beach, 3rd st Promenade, and the pier.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hollymcgarry

Dear hollymcgarry,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay at The Georgian. As an historic hotel, we try to offer many modern amenities while retaining the original charm that graced the property over 80 years ago. We appreciate your fair assessment and apologize if you found the room to be inconvenient. If and when you are traveling back into Santa Monica, please feel free to reserve one of our suite rooms with breathtaking ocean views. You will not be disappointed!

Thank you for staying with us at The Georgian Hotel!

Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is an old hotel, it could be described as quaint but not modern and not what I was looking for. The staff gave me a room that was a suite, so it had loads of space at the back of the hotel, but the gfeneral noise that infiltrates the room from the corridor and outside is poor making your time in your room not peaceful.
The lift is an experience - old and rattly but it seems to be going still.
The staff were terrific across the hotel. The verandah cafe is flat out but a nice breaky and a lovely outlook for breakfast or sundowners. It's pretty expensive for what it is too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear JoJoNicks,

At The Georgian Hotel we are celebrating our 81st anniversary and enjoying the historical landmark status that we have obtained in Santa Monica. We continue to maintain the original charm while keeping up with the times.

On behalf of our team, we thank you for enjoying our hospitality and the fare and atmosphere on The Veranda.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,