“Don't every change, Georgian!”
Review of The Georgian Hotel

The Georgian Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Geelong, Australia
“Don't every change, Georgian!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I've stayed here when travelling from Australia every year now for around 7 years. The Georgian offers consistently good service. The rooms are comfortable, and my Ocean View Queen is a lovely little haven to return to in between outings. I love that I can pop out to 3rd Street Promenade for some shopping, or wander along Ocean Avenue to the many excellent dining and bar options, or drop down to the beach in only a few minutes. We particularly loved Season 52 down the street which had just started a fabulous Happy Hour menu. The only negative comment about the Georgian would be about the dining on the balcony. I did not think the Tuna Tartare was nearly as good as others I've enjoyed. Ditto for my husband's meal, a deep fried sandwich (serves himself right!). We did, however, love the ambience on the balcony, having a drink and watching the world go by. And the heaters enticed us to stay longer on a chilly evening. The staff were all fantastic, most accommodating, and always a smiling face to greet you as we walked through the front doors each day. Highly recommend this hotel to any discerning traveller.

Room Tip: Pay for an ocean view if your budget allows.
Green Features: We liked that they have an environmental policy and they adhered to it - meaning the towels we hung up each morning for re-use were not 'automatically' replaced.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussie_traveller55
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear aussie_traveller55,

Welcome Back! Many thanks for your feedback on our Veranda Restaurant. Our menu continues to change as do the enhancements to the dinning experience. We look forward to welcoming you for visit #8. Please keep in-touch.

Reservations@GeorgianHotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Hebrew first
Leics, England
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at this wonderful hotel for three nights, having spent two weeks travelling Route 66 from Chicago. We arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon and were rather glad of the efficiency of the valet parking service. Our stay was very relaxing and much enhanced by the helpfulness of all the staff. We did not have a ocean-view room, but we didn't mind this as it was nice and quiet and anyway we enjoyed the view at breakfast time on the terrace. The hotel is charming and elegant and perfectly positioned for the beach, pier, third street promenade and bus stop. We are hoping to return if we do another road trip (maybe the best of California next time!).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank met1517
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Met1517,

Many thanks for wrapping up your Route 66 journey with us at The Georgian Hotel. Our valet, front desk and team at The Veranda are appreciative of your comments and kind words.

"The Best of California", please include Us, it would be an honor to welcome you back! Do not hesitate to e-mail or call, as you begin to schedule future plans.

Wait until you see what we have done with The Veranda.

Atco, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here with my daughter for her 21st birthday from July28th-August 4th. Our 1st trip to California from NJ. LOVED everything about this hotel for so many reasons and can't wait to come back!! We ate breakfaston the veranda every morning with a beautiful view and excellent food and service!!! Waitress & waiters couldn't have been more friendly! The location is amazing! Everything is in walking distance..beach, pier, 3rd Street Promenade...which is a must see. Rooms were perfect for us. Exactly what we needed and an amazing ocean view which made the start to our day perfect! Beds are extremely comfortable! Rooms are very clean and have everything we needed. Little touches like a newspaper everyday, chocolates, weather report each day were so nice! I thought the elevator was a really cool touch! I didn't think it was slow at all like others have reported. Upon arrival the man who was sweet to help us with our luggage accidentally dropped one of the suitcases and the handle broke and Michael at the front desk noticed and graciously offered to buy a new suitcase for us!! I thought that was soo nice and we were extremely grateful!!! Loved him!! I have to note everyone was really awesome..I can't remember everyone's name but they were ALL beyond nice & helpful..but Carlos was one who really stood out to us! :) I actually cried when I left. We had the best vacatin ever and one of the reasons was because we stayed here!! I really cannot wait to come stay here again!!! Keep in mind when we booked this hotel we had no idea where to stay and we just went by the reviews and I am so glad we decided to stay here!!! LOVED it! Thank you so much for everything!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne M
Dear Suzanne M & 21-year-old Daughter,

You can celebrate anywhere and we are grateful that you chose the City of Santa Monica and The Georgian. Thank you, thank you, thank you for spending this memorable time with us.

Our lifts may be old, your daughter young - a nice sharing of generations!

Michael, Carlos, Leah, Lin and our Veranda Team and The Georgian Hotel are happy to have been a part of this Memory.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was my third visit to the Georgian. Previously I had stayed briefly overnight on my way to a work meeting. I returned with my husband and two teenage children for two nights at the start of our California holiday. We all loved the hotel. The location is excellent, directly opposite the pier and a couple of blocks from Third Street Promenade. We enjoyed breakfasts and drinks on the lovely terrace overlooking the ocean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the ocean view suite which was extremely spacious and comfortable. Our children slept in the separate sitting room on a sofa bed and a sleepover bed. There were separate doors from both the sitting room and the bedroom to the bathroom which was very convenient and meant we didn't disturb each other. The room we had was on the first floor and had a great view but was quite noisy from the road. Next time I would see if there were suites higher up the building.

Room Tip: Front rooms have great views but those on lower floors are quite noisy from the road.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Greetings Fudgington2014,

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family back. Thank you for starting your
California holiday with us. Our suites are comfortable for families, lovely to know you enjoyed the experience. Please let us know when you plan to return, we will do all possible to place you on a higher floor.

See you soon?

Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I took the bus down to Santa Monica and were lucky enough to come across this lovely hotel on the front. We had the best breakfast of our trip here absolutely delicious. Staff were very accommodating and polite. The food was excellent. I had Eggs Benedict with homemade sauce the first in LA and my husband had porridge which he loved. Very good value too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Caroline-Bennett,

Thank you for enjoying our Veranda, fare and hospitality. Should you find yourselves in California again, we hope you will return and try our famous French Toast Souffle and see the enhancements we have made. Maybe you will stay with us too?

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Despite it's phenomenal location and beautiful exterior, this hotel was a disappointment on the inside in several ways noted below. I unfortunately will try another property before returning to this one.

Location: Yep, it's awesome. Right across the street from the promenade park (unfortunately filled with homeless, but you get used to it), it's also steps from the shopping district and just plain old people watching. This was by far the best feature of the hotel - but several neighboring ones boast the same.

Hotel: The interior of the hotel was lackluster, though the old, small elevators were quaint to use. One major problem was that the stairs are closed at the second floor, making it difficult to walk up if you are trying to escape the interminable wait for one of the elevators.

Room: This was one of the two major disappointments (the other is below). I had a one bdrm suite overlooking the water, which you think would be great. It was indeed quite large. But the room's not set up to enjoy the view (all heavy chairs / settes point into the bland room or to the TV). The decor was more combo Floridian / Pier One with bland wallpaper than art deco. My bathroom, while large, was institutional white with black tile (I see other colored bathrooms in fellow reviews that are colored nicely). I slightly felt like I was in an asylum in it. Water pressure was also surprisingly not that great. Thank goodness the bedroom was at the other end of the suite so I heard minimal noise compared to when in the sitting room (where it was loud as the busses went buy).

Service: Here there was a split personality. Restaurant service on the front patio was great. Front desk service on the other hand was sorely lacking (see my profile for why this matters to me). I checked in a bit early having arrived before noon. Naturally the rooms weren't ready so I waited. Despite a very nice female reservationist who said higher floor suites were available when I reserved months prior, the first room they tried to give me was on the second floor. When I noted my prior request for a higher floor I got the standard "we don't guarantee rooms" BS faster-than-that. When I held my ground silently, and let them know I know better from growing up in the business, I was told they could do something if I wanted to leave my bag and check in later that afternoon. I asked what time, and arrived at the appointed hour. At which time I was given a room only one floor up. When I reminded them of their promise for a higher room, the back office manager said they were taken - even tho I had been the first to check in. They decided to give out the other rooms during the time they told me to be away. He threw the keys on the desk and said that was the only one available. Had it not been a crowded weekend and I needed to be someplace within an hour, I would have simply turned around and looked for another property given how unprofessional those two were. The room, as I said above, turned out to be as noisy as others have pointed out (just less so in the bedroom when you close the suite doors).

In the end, this is a 5 star location with 3 star rooms and 1 star front desk management that needs serious customer re-training. For Californians, they sure acted more like brusque New Yawkers. There's no need to subject yourself to that on a vacation to such a beautiful locale.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear BlueWindez,

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences. Most certainly, it is our key objective to provide excellent customer service and exceed our guests expectations. Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient details to provide a fair response. Please do not hesitate to call on me directly.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was visiting Santa Monica and phone was dead- saw this beautiful hotel and outside terrace and went to lobby and explained that I was not a guest, but I wanted to have a glass of wine outside and could I charge my phone at the desk - the lady happily agreed and I happily had a dessert and a glass of wine looking out at the ocean - It was a lovely break to a busy walking day all over Santa Monica, and exactly what the doctor ordered- friendly waitress and front desk staff - will consider staying here the next time I'm in town!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
GMGeorgianH, Manager at The Georgian Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Lisa G,

All of Our guests are special and not limited to those staying overnight. We pride ourselves on making every guests experience memorable. Wonderful to know that we took care of "doctors orders"!

We look forward to your return as much as you do.