“Santa Monica Seaside Charm”
Review of Bayside Hotel

Bayside Hotel
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Santa Monica Seaside Charm”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Bayside. It is right off the Pacific, just down from the SM Pier. It has been redone at some point and is in good shape, very clean, and affordable for proximity to all the action. We were in Room 102, which has a king bed and small kitchen. It opens to a raised balcony that has some tables and chairs to allow ocean viewing. The Bayside is reasonably low key and the proprietors do a good job, although not overly gregarious, which is fine with us. We will definitely stay there in the future.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for the ocean views.
2 Thank Barak W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bayside is right in keeping with the Santa Monica to Venice area - small and funky, so if you like luxury high rise hotels, don't bother to read further. It's location is excellent: within easy walking distance of a number of good restaurants and cafes with decent coffee. The beach is across a small, not-particularly-busy road and visible from the front rooms, both first and second floor. It's prices are significantly cheaper than any other hotel with a similar location and views. The very good rating is due to the location and views, so wouldn't apply to back rooms. The rooms are basically white toned and simply furnished, but with comfortable wicker chairs, good mattresses and very good bed linens (our king size bed came with 6 pillows, which we always appreciate. There is a good selection of drinks, at reasonable prices, in the mini-bar. Although there was chipped paint on some doors and furniture, the room was very clean and both the fan and the a/c worked well. Our room, an ocean view on the second floor, came with an eat-in kitchen (with an ocean view from the table) that was appropriately kitted out with glasses, dishes and utensils. As the building is built like a motel, the rooms in front on the second floor open onto a balcony that has a small table and two chairs in front of each room, where we usually had a nightcap, watching the waves and listening to the life of the neighborhood (lively but not annoyingly noisy). Having said all of the above, I would only stay in an ocean-view room, preferably on the second floor but the ground floor would be okay. The back rooms are likely to be somewhat noisy, and look onto a small courtyard, so no view.

3 Thank Erica M
Boras, Sweden
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Best location in Santa Monica, good price and great service! I have been staying here several times, smoe rooms are big, some are smaller but they are always clean and nice. So if your'e on vacation or work and more or less just sleep in your room this is the best.
Close to Urth Café and Dogtown Café that makes great breakfast, you can rent a bike at the hotel and go to venice beach super quick and also go to 3rd street promenade in just a couple of minutes!
The rooms are a bit noisy sometimes, but it has never disturbed me while sleeping :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Feliciajuliana
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

In terms of the room and the facilities provided, I will say the hotel is a 7 over 10. But just if you do not need any comunication with the staff, they do beleive you are disturbing them, and they are in very polite terms RUDE!!!!! Jessica, the recepcionist , meke me be that uncomfortable that I thought about looking for a different place and all of that because she has the parking full, my fault I did not book, I was on holidays and had a bad momento, she just said to me " what you have to do is park there, look at how much it cost and whan you have to move the car"
It was my last day in US, and I have to say every one had beed so lovely and helpfull till I fund Jessica, thank you Jessica, I was the more expensive hotel I had been in US and the only one I will never come back by far.
The hotel is just ok, for the money I paid 167 pounds a night the less I can expect is friendly staff.
Apart of that clean and razonable well located.
The dinks at the mini bar are cheap, the is probably the only good thing

Room Tip: DO not go, that is my onlu¡y sugestion a cab in US is cheap so you can go for drinks and dinner at S...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank esther J
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Need a hotel that serves brunch and offers spa service? If so, this is not the hotel for you. However, if you need a cute and clean place to sleep at night; something that is within walking distance to shopping, the beach, and Santa Monica Pier, then this is a fine option. It's much more affordable than other hotels in the area, so if you don't want to spend $300 a night this is a great consideration. The Bayside Hotel is ideal for short trips and adults who don't plan to stay in their hotel room all day/night. Rooms are simple and modern with a comfortable bed. Coffee maker, safe, and iron are standard. Nothing too fancy, just a nice place to crash at night after a sunny day at the beach.

THE GOOD:

- Hotel is small and really cute. The grounds crew do a nice job.
- Located just a block off the beach, with open and obstructed views of the water from both bottom and lower levels. We had a corner unit #106 (garden view-King bed) and could see the water from our front door.
- Hotel location feels very safe, this is wealthy Santa Monica after all.
- Santa Monica Pier is a 5-10 minute walk.
- Hotel rents beach bicycles for I think $6 an hour.
- Staff was friendly and offered us a late check-out as well as extended our 24 hour parking permit so we could stay in the area a few more hours after checking out.

THE BAD:

- Walls might be a little thin, but it was not a problem for my wife and I. Despite being on the corner, we heard very little street noise and did not hear the children above us until the next morning. Nothing major though.
- Not much to say in this section, just understand what is it you are booking. This is not the Waldorf, it's just a small, cute, and simple hotel with a great location just off the beach. It's not luxurious, but its got whatever the average person needs.
- Do not think they had a pool, might be an issue if you have kids and need that sort of entertainment.

PARKING:

- Was not an issue for us as we stayed on a Tuesday night and arrived early in the day. However, I can see it being a problem on a busy Saturday night, especially if you are late to check in. $20 to park in their small back parking lot, or you can pay at the meters in front of the hotel.

PRICING:

- This hotel would probably cost $120 a night back home in Dallas, but Santa Monica is an expensive city. Also you must consider the location to the beach. All things considered it's a reasonable option for couples and small families. You simply can't find something nice for less than $150 a night in Santa Monica that is a block off the beach.

2 Thank jitaly79
Vail, Arizona
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The staff was very helpful, the amenities offered were exactly what my husband and I were looking for. The beach towels and bag in the room was a plus also the in room safe. The location was perfect, my husband and I parked our car at check in and didn't have to get in it again until check out. $20 a day for parking is a very reasonable price for the area, other places charge more. Everything we needed was a short walk, Santa Monica pier, Venice beach, restaurants, there is even a convenient/liquor store only 1 block away. Getting away from our 4 children and a daily commute this place was just perfect. The room was clean and very well appointed. I loved the view and I honestly just can't wait to come back!! Would absolutely recommend!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanielleKM
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was a little nervous spending so much for a hotel with mixed reviews but it turned out great. We only stayed one night on our trip down the coast but would have loved more time. The staff was friendly and the hotel was very clean.
Be advised, it is a motel not traditional hotel. I like to stay in luxury hotels but the cottage beach charm was great here. Go for top floor & beach front. You can sit outside on the cute table and chairs and see the beach. 5 minute walk to the pier and easy street parking. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple