“Location, Location, Location...but...”

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is one of the ideal locations in Santa Monica. Its well situated to the pier, 3rd Street Promenade and one block from the beach.

The hotel has a cool bar and restaurant on the roof. Its a trendy place to hang out. Here are the but(s)... I stayed in a suite and it was smaller then you would expect. It was nice, but not a true suite like quality due to its smaller size. Plus, the work area has no place to plug in your laptop and the seat is an ottoman which can get uncomfortable. Even worse, you pay $500 for a room and they still charge you $9.95 for wifi.

They didn't clean the room until late in the day and one day I had to even call for service. The food in the restaurant is good, but not amazing. Again its more about the location. Great views and cool atmosphere makes it a great place to dine.

The other but, I found it on the expensive side for what you are getting. Its a great place to experience, but I would return to the Fairmont which is right across the street. Rooms all have great views and great pool area. Plus, its typically been available at a lower price. Keep in mind, The Huntley is a cooler place, where the Fairmont is an older style. Although, every time I have stayed at the Fairmont ran into a few celebrities.

Don't take this as to negative, I have very high expectations when I pay over $500 per night for just the room. If you are more into a party atmosphere then the Huntley will serve you well.

I am still giving the Huntley a 4 star rating as it has many advantages and absolutely worth a try. You won't be wasting your $500 per night, but for this amount I would expect the full five star feeling.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an ocean view. Their are no balconies and you can only see the ocean when yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed at The Huntley in March 2011 on a work trip. I stayed for 5 nights.

Great first impression - the lobby area is bright and modern. I love the little shop where you can get snacks, coffee and souvenirs. I found the desk staff really helpful and I was checked in quickly.

The room was fine. I had a good view of the area and the hills, and if I stretched I could see the sea. The bathroom was spectacular. The only disappointing thing was that where I would expect to find tea/coffee facilities, there was a cocktail shaker. Might suit some - but I'd rather have a kettle.

I liked the area the hotel was in. I could easily walk to the 3rd Street Promenade, the beach and local cafes. I often nipped out in the morning for a quick breakfast and coffee and be back to be picked up for work. I ate in the Penthouse Restaurant for breakfast two mornings. The food was delicious and the views stunning, but it was a little pricey ($35 for eggs benedict, smoothie and a coffee). Still worth doing though at least once during the stay. I also visited the Penthouse one evening for cocktails - it looked like a lot of non-guests go there too, which I think says a lot about the quality of the place.

I would stay at The Huntley again any day. Very impressive for the price, welcoming and with a touch of luxury.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I am staying at the Huntley right now. While it is a nice hotel in an excellent location near the Santa Monica Beach, 3rd Street Promenade, Pier, and all the lively restaurants and bars along Ocean Ave and its side streets, I think this hotel is more suited to vacationers (partygoers?) than business travelers.

The room itself is rather nice and fairly comfortable and the bathroom has a great rain shower. The view overlooking the ocean and mountains is incredible. I love the view.

However, noise carries through the hotel's paper thin walls pretty loudly. Right now (a Friday), I can hear the music and people stomping/dancing at the 18th floor restaurant and bar, The Penthouse (which is actually a wonderful restaurant, but apparently also a club/bar on Friday and Saturday nights)... I'm on the 14th floor! I can also hear the person in the room next door coughing from a cold and the person in the room on the other side talking.

Also: the hotel doesn't have enough bandwidth to accommodate everyone seeking to log into their Internet system. I got a message saying as much and the hotel staff said there was nothing they could do but advise me to wait - not what you want to hear if you are hoping to do work, emails, etc. This is a first - I have never before been to a hotel that literally ran out of Internet access, especially since the hotel charges $9.95 per day. Very disappointing.

While I might visit the Huntley again to have a meal at the Penthouse, I would not stay here again.

2  Thank ammts28
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I was in the Huntley for 5 days in February and on the whole enjoyed the experience.

The Hotel is quite beautiful. Even if you are not staying there you should pop in to check out the beautiful foyer and then go up to the restaurant to enjoy the view.

The staff are brilliant. Typical Californian hospitality - understated charm and genuine conversation. All the staff were helpful and friendly from check in to check out. 10/10!

However, the rooms are small and whilst they are tidy and reasonably well appointed the main disappointment was the bed that was soft and not supportive.

My poor back suffered a little after a few nights of the squidgy mattress. I really should have asked to be moved to another room. However, I stuck it out as it was only a few nights.

Had dinner in the restaurant one evening. The food was was 7/10 and rather expensive given what I ate elsewhere in Santa Monica.

So in summary a lovely hotel. Friendly and warm. Definitely try the breakfasts - wake up to sunshine and a panoramic view of the sea and the beach.

However, if you have back problems or don't function well on a soft mattress then this may not be the best place for you.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the top 4 floors. These are apparently affected by noise from the restaurant...
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My relationship with the Huntley goes back to when it was owned by the Radisson group. I loved this hotel, its a great find, down a quiet street, with nice views, fantastic location and good prices.
This was my first visit back in years...and when asked if I would stay again the answer would be yes. The hotel has been remodeled since my last stay...and reviews about the hotel being dark are very accurate. You may not think this is a big deal, particularily in a City with such great weather...but the hotel halls are painted a dark coppery brown, the carpets are dark brown and the lighting is minimal. It is defininetly dark. I honestly had no idea I would be so affected by a hotels choice of color scheme or lighting!
The rooms are a toss up. The first room we were put in was small, and darkish, there is no fixed lighting in the rooms other than an enterance pot light. All other lighting comes from lamps thoughout. The first room we were given seemed dark and was showing signs of wear....mascara on the pillow, crackign paint etc.
I asked the front desk if they had something else available and they were more than happy to oblige. This I cannot fault. The front desk people REALLY try! Particularily Rahmin who was a great help. He not only TRIED but followed through! The room we were given in its place was bigger, brighter, and definetly less tired looking...but how is one to ensure this on thier next stay?
When I say the front desk tries...my issue is this, in some cases there is no follow through. After we settled in our new room I let them know the only fixed light in the room (potlight at the enterance) was burned out. They offered to replace it that very night. I said not to worry it could be done the next day. I didnt mention it again but the light was NEVER fixed. They arranged our car rental and were most helpful. But, when it came to returning the car, I did so the night before, and despite assurances from the front desk that they would make sure it got returned on time I received a call from the rental company asking if I was returning the car. When I followed up with them they glady checked into things. There was also the issue of teh a/c streaming in some very horrid fragrances...at one point the room was smelling like skunk. The internet access is free which is a GREAT benefit as so many hotels now charge and arm and a leg for wireless. Again I had to call several times to get wireless set up b/c someone forgot. Follow through.

We had lunch at the restuarant which seems to be a major draw for locals and tourists throughout the week and particularily on the weekends. The views were very nice and our food lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable...one of the best I have slept in. but there is residual noise from the hallway, elevator, and bar that counteract attempts at a good night sleep! The rooms were immaculately cleaned every day. Location is GREAT.

I will say this...we stayed at the Fairmont Miramar the last time we were in Santa Monica (across the street)....and I would stay at the Huntley over and over again if I had to choose between the two. We had some of the same problems (and some much more serious) but at least I wasnt paying twice the price!

I will give the Huntley a second chance....fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the elevator, higher up but not directly under the restaurant. I wouldnt g...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank kiki7
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We visited Santa Monica over New Year's Weekend to attend the Rose Parade with Diamond Tours. This hotel is very nice. Only thing was it cost $30 a night for parking (we drove from Tennessee) and they charge for Internet, but I guess many hotels do. The service was great, room was gorgeous, bed very comfortable. It is a block from a beautiful ocean front park up on the bluff. Easy walk to the beach, Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade and several restaurants. You MUST eat at the restaurant on the top floor. Spectacular views and the food is to die for. Enjoyed our stay immensely.

Room Tip: Try for ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen V
Reviewed 23 January 2012

A very good location, just off the main drag so noise from the street is not bad but you are still close enough to all the shops and the beach. They kindly organised an early checkin for us when I booked online and said we'd arrive around 7am, which was a nice touch. Also helped with transport too.
2 adults and 2 kids in the one room, got two huge beds. But couldn't really open the closet door to put our suitcases in so for the week, they were spread around the room. For 2 people, room would be fine but for 4, rather cramped. Hallways were dark and carpet rumpled. Foyer was nice, Penthouse restaurant nice but pricey. Overall, good location but getting somewhat tired. Staff were nice and helpful ($30 per day for parking a bit much)

Room Tip: Others advise to get a room on a higher floor to avoid street noise - would certainly recommend for...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family