“Very posh, very loud. Would not recommend for children or middle class:)”

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Ontario Canada
“Very posh, very loud. Would not recommend for children or middle class:)”
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We booked at the Huntley for part of our honeymoon trip, while the website boasts "on the beach" the hotel definetly is not, you can see the beach out of your room window(s) depending on what room you get, but it's at least a three block walk to get there. The hotel was nice, very "posh", we are a middle class couple and felt a little awkward staying there, not that we were treated any differently, but we just felt like we didn't belong! The rooms are nice, very modern, there is a penthouse/restaurant on the 18th floor, we went there for breakfast one morning and found it very expensive, but the hotel stay itself was expensive, so I guess it fits, the food was good though. The penthouse is a nightclub as well, we were three floors down from the penthouse and could hear the pounding music through the ceiling late into the night and early morning. The walls are also very thin, so you can hear doors slamming, people talking or yelling in the hallways (after partying at the penthouse). If you do stay there and aren't planning on partying at the penthouse I would suggest asking for a room on the lower half of the hotel, so that you won't be kept awake by the music pounding through the ceiling. Also, the only parking they have is valet which is $30/day to park at the hotel you've already paid at least $300/night to stay at! They also have a business centre where you can use high speed internet, but the computers weren't working for the majority of our stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Edmonton
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I booked the Huntley with great excitement - online the hotel looked fantastic for the Santa Monica weekend getaway my dad and I had planned. When we arrived the front staff were not overly friendly and, despite 2 calls in advance to ensure our room was the one we wanted, we ended up being offered a standard room with one bed (my dad is disabled thus we required two beds in a handicapped room), then a smoking room, still not handicapped equipped (I'm very allergic to smoke and just plain find the smell gross). In the end, our room was less than stellar and we had to make do in a non-handicapped room, making little tasks, like showering, unnecessarily frustrating for my dad. On the second night we asked the concierge to recommend a restaurant and make us a reservation. He confirmed our reservation so I wheeled my dad in his wheelchair. When we arrived, the restaurant was closed. Finally, I didn't bring my laptop computer as the web site said that it had a business centre equipped with 2 computers. Both were broken until the final day of our stay.

Before checking out, we met with the manager to share our experience. She was extremely apologetic and offered us a complimentary weekend stay in the future. However, given our experience, I doubt we will ever use it.

In short, the hotel is over-rated and not at the level it should be at to position itself as a leading luxury hotel.

Having said that, The Penthouse Restaurant is a very cool place for dinner or a drink.

• Stayed May 2009
California
Reviewed 10 May 2009

When we first got out of the car,we got immediate help with the valet parking and the luggage.We got in and the people at the front desk,looked very nice and were very polite.The room was very clean and had a nice view of the beach.The TV's were actually a bit bad with signal,but it really didn't matter because we were outside most of the time.The shampoos,lotion,etc,smelled really good.When we needed a little extra something,customer service brought it up immediately.When we came back to our room,the bed sheets were pulled back and there were a handful of chocolates on the table.We slept comfortably.My family and I wen't for a coffee at starbucks a couple blocks away in the morning.

Once we came back to pick up our car and luggage,we saw an amazing Audi.My father asked the valet manager who's it was he responded with Iron Man.Ten minutes later we went to the Penthouse.We were aloud to take a look around so we did,there was only about 2 familys and 3 pairs lunching at that time.As we continued to look,we spotted Robert Downey Jr. with his family sitting in the round booth table.He saw us,greeted,smiled and waved,we moved on.We didn't want to make his Mothers Day dinner a living hell so we put aside any picture taking or autographs.But it was amazing seeing him there.Don't believe Robert Downey Jr was there?Call the Huntely Hotel and ask if he was at the penthouse with his family May 10,2009 at about 12 p.m. :] Since none of my own friends seem to believe me,haha.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Northern Calif
Reviewed 7 May 2009

The Huntley never disappoints. The rooms are lovely with great bathrooms and comfy beds with beautiful elegant linens. I love being able to walk to the beach or restaurants. The hotel has an exclusiveness about it that makes it feel private and quiet, although some of the rooms (those that are near the penthouse club) can be very noisy at night. I stay at the Huntley very often and my only criticism is that since opening the penthouse club there seems to be more emphasis on those patrons than the hotel guests, and some of the quiet privacy seems to be compromised. The front desk has always been courteous and accommodating to me, but this might be because I am a frequent guest.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
MELBOURNE
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I have stayed at the Huntley 3 or 4 times now. I stayed at other hotels in Santa Monica also but the Huntley's the best. Great location and great rooms. Too bad about the hotel's ridge policies though. I'm from Australia. When I travel back my flight leaves at about 11:30pm so I have a whole day in LA - that's the great part. The not so great part is that the Huntley does not seem to be too sympathic with this. No way can you get to keep your room until mid afternoon. When I stayed therer last it was pretty obvious that the hotel had lots of vacancies. So it would not have been any trouble for the Huntley to let me stay in my room a lttile longer and keep fresh beofre my 15 hour flight back to Australia. We call it mean spirited. Let's see what happens the next time I book and stay at the Huntley.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank ALS055
london
Reviewed 28 March 2009

The location of this hotel is quite convenient only 1 block from the beach. There are also a few restaurants nearby and shopping isn't too far either.
The rooms are modern and comfortable. What I liked was that the bathrooms have natural daylight and instead of putting in a useless bath they have nice walk in showers.
The room service menu is limited but ok and the quality of the food is good.
I haven't tried the restaurant but went up to have a look at the bar on the top floor. The enterior is nice but for my taste the place was too crowded with wannabees in their early twenties.
The hotel has potential to become classified as " luxury". So far the service is lacking behind though. This might be leftovers from the hotel's days as a Radisson. There is no door man or someone who offers help with your luggage. Check in and check out staff are not very helpful neither the slightest bit cheerful. But this can easily be improved and hopefully soon the Huntley will be a fantastic choice to stay at when in Santa Monica.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank melachocolat
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I stayed at the Huntley Hotel overlooking the wonderful beaches of Santa Monica, California. The stay was very pleasant and relaxing. I spent a wonderful romantic weekend with a special lady and we were both impressed. The lobby reminds me of walking into a place like Buckingham Palace. It is rather pricey, but it is well worth it. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple