Comfort Inn Santa Monica
Palm Motel(Santa Monica)
Pavilions Motel(Santa Monica)
American Motel(Santa Monica)
View Hotel
The Brentwood Inn(Los Angeles)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbreakfast roomfree parkingcarl's jrmake your own wafflesyogurtdecent breakfastthe big blue busfree breakfastwould stay here againbeverly hillshard boiled eggsminute drivequeen bedthe ground floorconvenient locationbudget hotelan older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 April 2014

If you’ve just finished the part of your vacation that includes Universal Studios or Disneyland and you were lucky enough to stay at one of the on-site yet relatively reasonably priced higher end hotels (Hilton, Sheraton), be prepared to hear your kids complain. Having said that, be assured that the high end hotels right on the Pacific Coast Highway are unreasonably overpriced and not very nice (at least in Santa Monica). Fortunately, the 3 to 3 ½ star budget options allow you to still remain comfortable but keep more money for the kids (or a nice dinner in my case since we have no kids)

The Comfort Inn of Santa Monica calls itself “near Santa Monica” and this is very true. Located on Santa Monica Blvd, the main thoroughfare in and out of town, the hotel is only five minutes from the 405 Freeway but about 2.4 miles from the pier, beach and main attractions. However, this should not be a problem. If walking is an issue there are several busses that run with decent frequency and will get you downtown within 15 minutes. If you are fit or enjoy walking, it tales about 20 minutes (we did it 3 times).

Typical of most urban budget hotels, the building is an unassuming three story building with a very narrow entrance way. Blink and you’ll miss the sign. There is a bungalow building with individual units which is a bit quieter then the main building (with the exception of the neighbors; mostly low class looking smokers constantly slamming the door going in and out to satisfy their cancer addiction). For some reason, when we reserved, the handicapped accessible room is quoted almost $40 a night cheaper than all the other options although it is identical except for the higher toilet, larger bathroom and small wheelchair bar in the shower. We recommend asking for this (we had bungalow room #711).

The lobby is tiny and nothing more than a small desk and a place to check in. Check in was efficient and they had the room ready an hour before the 4 PM check in time. Hint: There is a safe in the room that they want to charge a few bucks a day for. At check out, they asked if you used it; simply say no and they will reverse that charge. This is nice because charging for a rooms safe is unacceptable in a place like Los Angeles where every 3 average hotel should have one, especially a member of the Choice Hotel chain.

The room:
Comfortably equipped but expectedly small, the room is nothing special and only a place to sleep. However, the mattress and pillow was unusually soft and comfortable, even more so than the Hilton we had just come from. Since sleep is the main function, this is a big plus. There is a surprisingly decent sized fridge and even a microwave. The flat screen TV is a 32 inch Panasonic which had very good digital quality and a large choice of channels to choose from. There is adequate drawer space and a night table with an inexpensive alarm clock radio. The room has two chairs and one desk for writing but little room for much else.

The bathroom:
The handicapped room is larger thus looks out of place relative to the room size. Ample counter space and a granite countertop. Water quality decent. Amenities: Bare minimum; perhaps less than Beast Western but a tad higher than Motel 6. Typically average for an inner city Choice Hotel but by no means uncomfortable or lacking anything you need. The shower is very small;; I’m unsure how the bulk of the throngs of extremely obese Americans make use of it but the water pressure was fine. California remains in drought so even the fine hotels can’t provide the waterfall of a shower you get in countries that could care less about the environment (like my stay in Ecuador). Towels, although simple, and white, are also unusually soft and plush like a higher standard of hotel. Nice surprise; we love nice towels.

The continental breakfast:
My wife and I do not partake in the unhealthy slop that passes for continental breakfast in America so I can’t comment on the food itself; But I did go there for coffee and a hard boiled egg (the only protein available not packed with sugar). It’s in a small room with capacity of about 10 guests but is actually one of the rooms on the first floor of the main courtyard so again, I’d ask for the bungalow building as the sound travels right up the corridor. Although it’s supposed to be served from 6:30 until 10, the morning I arrived found no bread, no hot food and no hot coffee. While other guests complained, someone who must have the crappy job of manager walked in and told everyone that the person who handles the breakfast “is not here so I don’t really know where anything is”. To me, totally unacceptable and unprofessional but totally not unusual in a nation of unskilled migrant workers from virtually every third world country. Management in the hospitality industry appears to also have been delegated to non-skilled immigrant labor that cares little about customer service so the situation didn’t really bother me; you get what you pay for and the hotel rates are good for LA.

The next day I came back and everything was fully staffed. Runny looking scrambled eggs with very greasy sausage that I did not eat. A wide selection of the worst unhealthy sugary powdered donuts, croissants and fattening pastries. A few slices of white bread. A waffle maker which is horribly unappetizing to me but fine for kids or most Americans. Some runny looking oatmeal and that’s about it. Fine for most; gross to me

Overall:
A decent low cost option; there is a small pool but no hot tub. Expect basic 3 star service and amenities and be pleasantly surprised by the comfortable bed and good night’s sleep, assuming you sleep later than the noisy chain smoking neighbors.

Room Tip: Ask for the handicapped room; the rates are cheaper and the only difference is a high toilet, bigger bathroom space and a bar in the shower. The bungalow building is significantly quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank rodi2008
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your recent stay with us. It is great to hear you found our towels to be plush and soft because housekeeping constantly swaps out older towels to make sure only the best are being put inside guest rooms.

I would like to apologize for not having met your needs in regards to the complimentary hot breakfast buffet. We try to have a wide variety of items to satisfy almost everyone, so I am glad you were at least able to find some coffee and a hard-boiled egg. I am also very embarrassed about your experience with the missing breakfast attendant. This is not acceptable, and please be assured it has been addressed with the appropriate staff members to ensure it does not happen again.

I hope you will choose Comfort Inn Santa Monica for your accommodation needs if you are ever in the area again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Loved having 3 bed for the 4 of us (King, Queen, Queen). When you have a girl and a boy, it's nice to go on vacation and be able to sleep with your husband instead of a teenager that rolls every which way. Everyone was able to sprawl out. The beds were very comfortable and we slept great. It was also nice to have two separate rooms, one for us and the other for the kids so we didn't disturb each other. The hot breakfast was delicious every day and we were pleasantly surprized to have a microwave and fridge in the room too.

It was close to a lot of attractions: 2 miles from Santa Monica pier and Venice Beach (easy to get to), everything else within 15-30 minutes: Hollywood, Studio tours, Griffith park/Hollywood sign, Malibu beaches and hiking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LounBee
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear guest,

We really appreciate your five star review of your recent stay with us! It was our pleasure to provide you with excellent accommodations.

Thank you for your decision to stay with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime very soon!

King regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you want a hotel, easy to move around and at a convenient location, this is the choice. Its very close to the freeways, beach , street 3 - Santa Monica, and also close to bus tours. The best thing about the hotel is - it has ample of parking too. You can contact a LA bus tour operator and they will pick you up from the hotel too. The front desk staff are really helpful and the reason I am saying so is because they guided me to places since I was there for the first time. It is surely not a luxurious motel but a good bet if you don't wanna spend too much on your accommodation. BTW I would their Morning Breakfast :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are good but get a room on the ground level closer to the pool...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashlesh

Dear Ashlesh,

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review. I am glad you were able to utilize our maps and directions provided to you by the front desk, as well as the free guest parking.
We welcome you back if you ever have the chance to visit Santa Monica again!

Best,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was my First experience staying at a Comfort Inn, and I have to say I was very Pleased!! I Sooooo wish we could have stayed longer in Cali vs. coming back to the 'Frigid' cold temps. and snow in PA Ugh..... My husband's parents were soooo generous to pay for a "Family Vacation" for an after Christmas trip for all of us to "Enjoy" Quality Time...
The Staff at the Comfort Inn Near Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica were so Nice and Friendly from the time we checked In until the time we checked Out. My Hubby and I Highly Recommend this Location, and upon a return trip to Cali we plan to stay here again!!!

Thank Ya Everyone.... :-)

Highly Recommend!! 5 STARS ☆✯★✰☆

Room Tip: We were just Soooo Happy to be out of the {{Brrr}} freezing temps all rooms seemed to be structured well with Plenty of Welcomed SUNSHINE!! During January it was a pleasant 60 degrees each day and we enjoyed EVERY day.. in Philadelphia it was in the 20's & 30's.... We were on the 3rd floor and were extremely pleased....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Becky,

Thank you very much for your five star review! We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay so much. Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent customer service and we are glad you recognized this.
We look forward to having you stay again next time you are back in Cali!!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Advertised as "At the Beach" Only 28 blocks away. I knew this as I grew up in the area. Your basic Comfort Inn. No frills. Clean, quiet room. Close to several fast food chains. Was there for a birthday party and there was not enough room for everyone.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 2Stinkyboys66
GMCA430, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. We value our guests input and use all comments to better our hotel for all future guests. I'm glad you found the room to be clean and quiet, as housekeeping works very hard in keeping all rooms very tidy. I would like to apologize about any misunderstandings regarding our name of "Near the Pier", as we try our best to be clear that it is still 2.5 miles away.

Again, thank you and we hope to have you back as a guest the next time your in need of a place to stay.

Regards,