“Santa Monica gem”

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Portland, Oregon
“Santa Monica gem”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great hotel to stay if you plan to tour West LA. Close to Santa Monica walking favs, like the Third St Promenade, Main and Ocean Streets. Quiet and clean, we had a large King Size Room #635 which did not face the water, but we think the west views are blocked anyway by a large building in front of the hotel. The staff is polite, valet service is quick, rooms are clean. Our room had a separate bedroom which is nice if one of you wants to sleep in or stay up later than the other. The LAX is about 20-30 minutes south of the hotel, easy to get to.

Room Tip: Rooms off the lobby courtyard will be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for rating us as a “Santa Monica Gem”. I agree. We are fortunate to be in such a great location with easy access to Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the other wonderful sites in LA while also are a quick walk to the beach, 3rd Street Promenade and world famous Santa Monica Pier. And, just like you so eloquently mention, we are a suite property with a separate bedroom and living room with a pullout sofa, allowing plenty of room to stretch out and relax. And when you add the microwave, refrigerator and room service delivery we provide all of the comforts of home.
Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you back again soon.
Brian Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just spent a week at the Doubletree in Santa Monica on business. Hotel was very comfortable. It should be for the price. The staff were always smiling and gave you a "Welcome back" every time you walked in the door. Breakfast buffet (incl. as a Gold Hhonors member) had everything you could think of and eggs could be ordered any way you wanted. Parking only by valet so save money by parking in the city lot right across the street - $5 vs. $28 plus tips and having to wait for your car. You can leave your car up to 72 hours without having to move it. Good equipment in fitness center but low ceiling height prevents lifting weights over your head and nice, but not overly large, outdoor pool. Only one problem with the room...had a very heavy steel pocket door between the bedroom and the bathroom with no latch or lock and only an indentation for a finger or thumb to close.

Room Tip: If you're a baseball fan, some of the rooms are like bleacher seats, looking over the SMHS field...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James D
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our team lives and breathes a service culture that exudes comfort and relaxation and can easily be found in our genuine and uncontrollable smiles as we are all grateful and humble to serve you, our guests. Chef Monty does a great job with our breakfast cooking eggs to order and going out of his way to greet and assure all our guests are enjoying their experience. Thank you for noticing. I do understand your sensitivity to valet costs. With our great location, just a quick walk to the beach, 3rd street promenade and world famous Santa Monica Pier, parking is at a premium and difficult to find which is why we protect parking spots for our guests. There are public lots nearby that do charge less which is a great idea for folks that don’t need the convenience of valet and don’t mind paying for in and out privileges in the public lots as they don’t allow this benefit.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was so excited to arrive in Santa Monica and check-in to our hotel. However, my energy and excitement was quickly zapped away by a moody male receptionist at the counter. I don't know if it was the end of his shift or he's just an unhappy person but he did not crack a smile. When he said I was a Silver status, I let him know that I had recently become Gold and was hoping for an upgrade if they had availability. He looked at me with a look of contempt and insisted that I was Silver. No attempt at trying to clarify the matter. When I arrived at my room, I logged on to my Hilton Honors and sure enough there was my Gold status. The hotel didn't seem very packed so I'm sure an upgrade would have been possible. When I called them to clarify they said it was only possible to move me to another room which was equal to my current one.

On a differente note, hotel was clean and rooms were nice. It is on a very busy street, right next to higway entrance/exit. Parking and wifi are pricey. It does have a pool and sauna. I wouldn't stay here again. For the same price, I could have stayed somewhere where people welcome me to my vacation with big smiles and friendly faces!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I appreciate your feedback as this is a fantastic tool for us to constantly improve our guest’s experience. I have shared your concerns with my front desk team and all have taken this to heart. Please know that this type of experience is extremely rare for us as the hundreds of other reviews speak to but we own this and will be making appropriate changes.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will give us a chance to take care of you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived after a long drive and Haira on reception was extremely kind and welcoming and went out of her way to accommodate our family's needs. This made our hotel experience in Santa Monica much easier than it has been in other places. Very busy but family friendly hotel. Great to have a pool and laundry facilities when on a driving holiday and permanently on the move. While not on the beach the location is v convenient for beach and shopping - both a short walk. All staff, esp Haira and 4th Street Grille staff v friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you get sea view and a suite, otherwise you can overlook freeway, although rooms well insu...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Brian M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
What wonderful comments. I completely agree. Haira is great as is the rest of our team that genuinely cares about every guest’s experience. We are the perfect hotel for families traveling to Santa Monica as our two room suites offer plenty of room to stretch out and relax and the microwave and refrigerator are an added bonus. I am glad you were able to enjoy to our pool before venturing off to all the wonderful sites to see in Santa Monica.
Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you back again soon.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Very good service. Great breakfast with everything you can wish for. Very good deal to include breakfast in your booking. Expensive parking, park across the street instead. Great fitnessroom and a good spa with a small pool that fills it´s purposes. You need to walk 5-10 min. to the beach. Also a 5-10 min walk to third street promenade. Quiet rooms with good ventilation/AC.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are in a great location, have a fantastic breakfast and our pool and fitness center are perfect for folks that want to keep in shape or keep up their tan while visiting all the wonderful sites to see in Santa Monica. I do understand your sensitivity to valet costs. With our great location, just a quick walk to the beach, 3rd street promenade and world famous Santa Monica Pier, parking is at a premium and difficult to find which is why we protect parking spots for our guests.
There is public parking nearby but you don’t have in and out privileges or the convenience of valet service.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again soon.

Middletown, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our stay at the Doubletree in Santa Monica was absolutely wonderful. Everyone was helpful, and genuine. We felt relaxed and well taken care of . The facilities were excellent and well maintained. We would definitely stay again!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

What great comments. As you mentioned the team genuinely cares about every guest’s experience which you so graciously mention. I am glad you had a wonderful time here at the DoubleTree Santa Monica and we hope to see you back again soon.
Warm regards,

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a great 3 days on a family road trip thru' CA. Great for the beach and shops with plenty on in the evening. Room was a bit on the small side but good enough and spotless. Pool area was good - clean and warm. Breakfast was expensive but there is a decent coffee shop for pastries/muffins etc. Nice touch was the family Italian dinner option which we used when we turned up. Staff were friendly and helpful. Only other complaint is the $28 per night parking - but for the LA area I guess that is par for the course. I'd certainly recommend

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brian M, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Santa Monica, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. You are correct. We are in a fantastic location near the beach, 3rd street promenade and world famous Santa Monica Pier. Our rooms are spacious and comfortable, perfect for families. I am so glad you had the chance to experience our wonderful outdoor pool with lounge chairs and cocktail service as well as venture out to all the wonderful sites and activities that Santa Monica has become famous for. Also, our past special is a great family deal. Thanks for noticing.
Thanks you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again soon.