“Exellent!”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Moscow, Russia
“Exellent!”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

First, I would like to say that I was very satisfied with this hotel. It offers comfortable, nice rooms( not "crazy but very cool design in which you will not relax" at all). Rooms have classic design and are really cosy. Cleaning was perfect during all the days.
During this stay I have experienced some problems with a bath, but they were resolved in 15 min( including visit of specialist, taking necessary- absolutely new detail and fixing). So, if you have some problems, don't hesitate to call the staff, they will do everything necessary with a smile.
Service was at an excellent level, we also liked our concierge.
Hotel also offers very tasty breakfast menu, my favorites are lemon ricotta pancakes, you should try them!

Room Tip: choose Ocean Tower, it is new.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lower Hutt
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We loved our stay at the Fairmont Miramar Santa Monica. We pulled up in the car to have the doors opened on either side by the polite, efficient and friendly valet service.

Check in was swift and easy and we were able to get into our room before check in time. They also wished my mother a happy birthday, the reason for our stay. Then when we got to our amazing room with our amazing view overlooking the beach and the Santa Monica pier and there was cake, card and wine for mum! So she was over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!! The cake was DEVINE.

Our room was comfortable and clean with an amazing view!

We found the staff to be friendly, efficient and professional. When i needed an extra bath towel or a jug for the room, or scales to weigh out bags they delivered them immediately. When i asked for directions to a certain shop they printed out the details for me.

We used the gym everyday, which was well equipped, clean and quiet, went running down the promenade/walkway every morning to be greeted with a towel and water bottle as we came in, had lunch and dinner everyday on 3rd street which was a quick stroll from the hotel, got sunburnt by the pool, managed a spot of shopping in all the streets near by (great)went to the farmers market and generally just had an amazing time.
What an amazing central location!
It was the best way to end our trip of the States before heading back to New Zealand.
So THANK YOU so much for that. We absolutley loved it

• Stayed May 2011
vancouver
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Have stayed at this well located hotel in Santa Monica dozens of times over the years and have watched it slowly deteriorate. No extensive renovations of the rooms have ever been completed in the decade or so that I've visited and it was only recently that flat screen televisions were added. This place lives off of its superb location but the service and attitude of the staff is abysmal. There are frequent "events" and conventions that will ruin the stay of a casual or vacation traveller. The front entrance of the hotel is regularly closed to accommodate weddings and other corporate functions causing parking hassles. This property is also a "resort" property which means that many so-called Fairmont Presidents Club benefits don't apply. Guaranteed room? Forget it at the Miramar. They have a ridiculous number of room categories so your upgrade coupons are almost worthless. On a recent trip I came out to get my car with my hands full of business materials. I had my valet ticket in my pocket and told him my last name. He said that my name didn't match the ticket. I repeated it several more times and he still claimed that it didn't match. I finally retrieved my ticket and he let me have my car. The problem was his lack of proficiency in English. The latest Fairmont insult is tiered internet access. One of the few tangible benefits to FCP was free internet access. Well now you get sporatic and slow for "free" and have to pay for "premium" access. I think they've actually lowered the parking from $35 per night to $33. Fairmont is not a luxury hotel chain although they market themselves as such. I've had housekeeping issues that would embarrass Motel Six. I've probably spent fifty thousand dollars in the hotel over the years and never once received anything extra. On many occasions I've received less than what was reserved. Why do I keep staying here? With the exception of The Huntley across the street, it's the best location in Santa Monica. Shutters is a better hotel is every way but if you're doing business it's a little out of the way.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ntscdan
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Arrived at 3.30pm after long hot day travelling. Room not ready until 3.45. We were asked to wait in the bar but had to ask if drinks would be complementary. Room 308 was definately not worth the wait. Grotty camping style fridge greeted us in the corner of the room balanced precariously on tiny occasional table. Beds were small with only 2 pillows and a hard headboard only one spare supplied in cupboard. Only one dressing gown. Bath enamel chipped needs updating. No I pod docking station as in our previous 4 star hotels. Carpet on enterance just butted up to tiles and was not fitted so frayed and rough edge. However worse was to come after turning fridge off to reduce noise were kept awake until 5am by hotel nightclub opposite and car park enterance. This was sold as a family room and on complaining to front desk was advised negotiates were being had to try to reduce noise. I asked to be moved and for fridge to be taken out. They ignored us completely and no one bothered to do anything certainly not 5star service. We only had 3days in la and spent 2of those absolutely shattered by a poor nights sleep. We have two children ho were really upset by all the commotion and I feel very angry that this hotel knowingly book families into this room and feel it except able to charge 5 star prices for this experience. The pool area also left a lot to be desired and had woefully inadequate space for guest ratio. Valet service although 33 dollars was excellent and reception looked amazing but wished we had not checked in.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Bicyclism
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Visited with our two little ones (6 & 7) for Easter weekend. First night we were in a room that was quite small and had a lot of road noise. My husband asked the front desk if there were any other rooms. We knew it was quite full, but they said they would check and get back to us. They never did, so we asked again the next day and this time they moved us to a bigger room, but it was also a bit noisy. However, it's an older hotel so I realize they don't have a lot they can do about it.
Then, we just had a series of minor but annoying housekeeping issues. The sofa bed wasn't made up so we had to call for sheets, no turn down one night, but turn down the next, although they took our towels and didn't replace them. The next day they replaced the towels, but only gave us three back when there were four of us staying in the suite. Stuff that was obviously garbage wasn't thrown out. I know that they are reluctant to throw stuff out that isn't in the garbage, but come on, a half-eaten piece of fruit laying on the coffee table for four days? I was just curious to see what level of purification we had to hit before they threw it out. Sadly never found out.
Will say this, we went on the breakfast plan and that is a deal and a half. The food at Fig, the restaurant there, is vey good, although again, the service has declined a bit. But that's a separate review. I realize that these are all small, somewhat petty, complaints, but the fact is that we spend an enormous amount of money staying at Fairmont hotels and resorts every year. The President's club is an excellent service, but if they want us to remain loyal then they have to do more than just a free breakfast occasionally and a free travel diary. We pay big dollars and expect great things, or we will simply stay somewhere else.

1 Thank jacknmacksmom
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Great position. Very Clean. Excellent service. Friendly. Safe. Home away from home. One bedroom suite ideal for families. Hotel provided complimentary late check out for our late flight home. Highly recommend.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We recently traveled from San Diego to Los Angeles and back and stayed in 4 different hotels. By all reviews, this hotel should have been the nicest, most luxurious of our trip. Unfortunately, it was the worst experience. Despite the fact that I confirmed the specifics of our reservation (two double beds in ocean tower with balcony) twice, here is what happened: We arrived at 3pm (the hotel's stated check-in time) in the afternoon to check in and were told there were no rooms ready, so they took my phone number and said they would call in about 30 minutes. An hour and a half later they called - we checked in, only to find that we had been given a small room with a king bed rather than two doubles. Futhermore, a few personal items that did not belong to us were placed with our luggage in the room. I went to speak with the front desk and they said there were no other rooms available, except possibly one in another building with no balcony and no ocean view (only a parking lot view). After much discussion with the manager and our travel agent, the hotel agreed to reduce the nightly rate of the room and cover our breakfast for two mornings. While I appreciate the consideration, I didn't appreciate the attitude - they didn't seem to really care that they had screwed up and delivered something totally different than what we expected (and had reserved in writing). A couple of other notes...the beds in the room were the poorest quality of any on our trip, and everything in the hotel (food, drinks, sundries) is priced about 3 or 4 times higher than what everyone else in the world charges. We won't be staying here again.

2 Thank RobertM2211