“Santa Monica at its Best” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Hammonton, New Jersey, USA
“Santa Monica at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Tremendous hotel and great staff. My wife loves this hotel particularly when staying in the Bungalows. We now make a habit of staying a night when flying out of LAX (just 20 minutes away in AM drive). Get to revisit Santa Monica, take in sights go to a great restaurant and have the best accommodations around.

Room Tip: You can't beat the bungalows large rooms, quiet with privacy, and outdoor terrace for afternoon...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Boris P –

Thank you for the review! I’m from the East Coast as well, and to me, the Miramar always represented the epitome of the Santa Monica experience. Please let me know the next time you stop by – I would love to meet you and your wife to thank you in person!

Carly Skinner
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed at the Fairmont Miramar for the weekend and couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable stay. We had a great room on the top floor looking south down the beach so we could see the pier lit up at night. Room was very comfortable (with a Nespresso machine in the room). When we arrived the maids we in the hallway and asked if we needed extra towels, Nespresso capsules etc.

Had breakfast at Fig which was very different (in a good way) tasty and definitely a step up from even a JW or Ritz Carlton breakfast. We were eating at a local restaurant on Saturday evening (Melisse - which is outstanding) on the Saturday night, so the concierge arranged for us to have use of the hotel's chauffeur driven car (a BMW 750 hybrid) to drop us off and pick us up after dinner The driver, Robert, is very friendly and vey accommodating like all of the hotel staff we met over the weekend

My girlfriend used the spa while I went to the gym, which has everything; free weights, treadmill, several Life Fitness/Nautilus machines and a stationary bike on the balcony overlooking the pool.

The hotel is in a great setting and is convenient for the beach, and all of Santa Monica. It's right next to PCH so its convenient for driving up the coast to the Getty Villa, Malibu etc.

I've been to 7 or 8 hotels/resorts this year and this is the first time i've jumped onto trip advisor to post a recommendation. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone from the maids, to the restaurant and bar staff, concierge, front desk and Robert the driver are all very helpful and customer focused.

I would highly recommend the Fairmont Miramar Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

The classic Eagles song was never far from my head on a visit here. Yes, the hotel if fine, and the fig tree in the courtyard is memorable, but my best suggestion is the following:

Go out in the morning, across Ocean Drive, and walk North along the nicely-landscaped parkway. Then wait for the sun to get just high enough in the sky, and look back through the tall palm grove when it is silhouetted against the sun, with a building in the background. Yes, it almost looks like the iconic cover photo from the album Hotel California!

Now, before someone jumps up and down, (and before I have to explain to someone what an "album" is), let me acknowledge that this is not, actually, the supposed subject of the Eagles album cover, not to mention the fact that you can, in fact, both check out and leave this place. However, for someone traveling from another part of the country, looking up a the sun peaking through the palm trees really let's you know that you are in California now!

I added an iphone photo that captures the shot. I am sure some other travelers can do better.

So, load up the track on your music player (including the guitar solo at the end) and head out for a nice walk.

Room Tip: Some have ocean views; some don't. If it matters to you, ask; if it doesn't, you should pay...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were given a darling bungalow by the pool with champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. Eight of our closest friends joined us to watch an amazing sunset, we settled in between the bungalows in a charming outdoor area with a beautiful view where we sipped champagne. The dinner at Fig was perfection, the waitress was so knowledgable about every dish, between the eight of us that ordered, everyone raved about their meal with tastes of each going around the table! Fig surprised us with dessert - service was great - can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

You simply can't beat the location, period! Service is classic Fairmount, amongst the best the industry can offer. BUT -- the infrastructure, while updated frequently and kept in excellent condition, is dated and rooms are amongst the smallest you will ever encounter. For sure, each room has sliding glass doors to a patio with ocean view -- obviously the higher and further west the better. I've been coming here for 30 years and although I have tried several other hotels in the area I keep returning the Miramar. One MUST is brunch on the patio, watching the turtles sunning themselves near your table.

Room Tip: High floors towards the west are the best and most difficult to get. Don't forget brunch on the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I just stayed there last night, and when I got home I realized I had left my very special stuffed animal there. I called right away and they had it waiting there for me and shipped it to my house. It was great!! An amazing trip too!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

A terrible welcome. We had two rooms booked and the bell boys asked if it was "ok to send them to one room and we could sort out" when checking in we were asked to wait, four staff stood there doing stuff. One room ready the other was not. No estimate given or facilities provided. 45 minutes after checkin bags still not in room. Chased 2 times.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nickbelluk
Dear nickbelluk –

My sincerest apologies for the welcome you received upon arrival (or lack thereof). We saw your review come in while you were still here, and attempted to reach out to you but were unsuccessful.

I encourage you to reach out to me directly at carly.skinner@fairmont.com so you can let me know how the rest of your stay went. “Rude and unhelpful” are not the adjectives usually used to describe our staff, so I would love the opportunity to speak further.

Carly Skinner