“First class and super comfy”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
rhode island
“First class and super comfy”
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

If you are comparing reviews and prices on nice places in santa Monica, don't look any further! I spent one night at a nearby hotel, (marriott) and had a terrible experience, then walked into the Fairmont after also checking out the Loews and the Shutters, but this was truly a oasis!

Believe me, I compared them all, and the fairmont is hands down nicest.
Great service, clean,comfortable and welcoming.

I arrived, completely exhausted, at about 8 am, the Friday after thanksgiving, after a sleepless night at a competing hotel. The front desk staff was wonderful and found me a very comfortable bungalow room, and I was able to check in right away, and go right to sleep. (Sad that I lost half a day of my 3 day trip, but it was a great place to rest!)
It was a peaceful and perfectly lovely place to spend a few nights.

The spa was also very nice, though it is kind of different than many, the front desk of the spa, the dressing rooms and waiting area, and the treatment rooms are all in different places... It kind of breaks up the "mood" to have to walk from place to place, through public spaces, while indulging in spa services, but I guess that's just the only way they can do it, and it was still overall very pleasant.

The hotel has bicycles that guests can use at no charge. This was a fantastic service that I learned of through reading tripadvisor reviews. I had a lovely afternoon ride along the beach path. The location of the hotel is perfect, right by the beach, and the promenade. Don't miss Main Street shopping, a little further down the way...

The pool area was clean and nice, however, the sun only actually shines over a few of the chairs at any given time, and only for a few hours of the day... But that is partly due to the pretty palm trees in the courtyard area.

The restaurant was nice, food was good, but some very strange things on their menu... I guess they wanted to have "something for everyone", there is no true theme to the fare, but meals were good none the less.

It is also a very dog friendly hotel, it was great to see so many happy dogs and their people. I will definitely return to the fairmont Miramar on future visits, the extra cost is well worth it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rhodeygem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new york
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Loved staying here, busting, professional and happy. Only downside; they were unable to let me into my room until about 7 pm, but to make up for it fed me for free and upgraded me to a fabulous suite, so was worth the wait. Restaurant fine, spa services very very good, and hanging around the pool terrific. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We always take the "moms" to the Fairmont before Christmas to experience the Hotel Lobby and sip Champaign. When the eight of us arrived early which was at 4pm (& since we had three 84+years olds with us)...Maurice (the manager) graciously set up 2 tables inside so we were cozy & warm all night...Natalie the waitress served us and went above and beyond..making sure we had everything we needed. The food was spectacular....flatbread, kale salad, jamon serrano, gravalax with krisp bread, chicken tacos, meatballs....along with a steady flow of libations. The lobby gets festive around 6pm so get there early. Maurice & Natalie made it a very special night for us! Many thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 29 November 2013

i just returned from a most lovely time at the Miramar and left thinking about when i can get back! i and four college friends met there to celebrate a "certain" milestone birthday and we enjoyed it in great style at the Miramar.

upon arrival to the beautiful hotel and its well-kept grounds, we were greeted with a delicious cake in one of our rooms to commemorate our birthdays. the following days, concierges amber and azar were like private assistants, helping us fully enjoy both the hotel and the diverse santa monica surroundings. we also took advantage of the complementary car service on a few occasions...great plus!

the front desk staff and carly, the rooms manager, were equally accommodating and lovely...i mentioned to pamela, one of the staff, that i liked a certain perfume that another staff member was wearing, and a bottle of it appeared later that day in my room! the rooms themselves were clean and attractive.

the delicious fig restaurant had a lovely, unpretentious staff and our breakfasts there were divine.

and finally, exhale gym was absolutely amazing...we loved, loved our classes with lauren and the convenience of experiencing top-rate classes without having to leave the grounds.

the only down side to the hotel, as others have mentioned, is the noise from the nightclub on the premises. we were originally in a room facing the club and it was very noisy at night. upon stating our discontent, however, the management promptly moved us to the other side of the hotel (with an upgrated room). we were fortunate that the room was available.

if you are considering staying in santa monica, look no further than the fairmont miriamar.

Room Tip: make sure you book a room far from the nightclub!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

This is our go to staycation hotel in Santa Monica. We just arrive today to spend our Thanksgiving holiday here, as we have done in the past. The hotel is beautiful and well cared for. The location is probably the best you'll ever get being in Santa Monica. I do agree that some parts of the hotel is old, but the management does there best to keep it clean and very well cared for. We always stay at the "palisade suite" side which is the older tower because we are a family and this tower has the larger room/suite. If you book a room on this tower, try and get the odd room number facing in, so you are away from the street.

We love staying here because of the location, the property is gorgeous, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the management is something else. They truly take hospitality to a new level. I assure everyone, that if you have any issue with your stay they will make it right. I suppose this is the main reason that we keep coming back :); for the sense of comfort. You simply cannot put a price on that.

Stayed November 2013
Tempe
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This past weekend experience at the Santa Monica Fairmont Miramar leaves me conflicted. On the one hand, the ocean view from our $439 room was gorgeous, and the grounds and hotel itself as beautiful as ever. However, I can't help but feel the addition of the nightclub/bar on the grounds changes things: is this a luxurious resort where I can escape reality and rest undisturbed, or not?

Pros/Cons:

1. Yes, the nightclub (sorry I don't know what they call it) is loud, and on Saturday night the music was heard even in our 7th floor room. On the other hand, it didn't keep me awake. Music was blaring on Sunday night, as well. I did feel like we could have asked to switch rooms, but we had already unpacked and decided to live with the noise.

2. When we arrived around 2:00pm the room wasn't ready, so they comped us drinks in the lounge. I love their sofas and the lobby area. We decided to eat in the lounge, and were surprised to find the hotel comped our lunch, as well. Impressed. The room was ready soon. Not sure but the royal treatment may be due to last month's attempted stay, when our room was not ready by 4:30pm and we had to be in Los Angeles for a wedding at 6:00pm. We ended up leaving and getting a room at The Georgian, which was nice, but I missed the Miramar so was glad to be back.

3. The bathrooms need real doors if Romance is on anyone's list. Please. They've always been the shutter-style "door" but for some reason as I age privacy becomes more of a thing. There's a reason I did not enlist in the military.

4. Does any hotel in the world have a decent reading light by the bed? Not here. I had to pretty much crawl up into the lamp shade to read my newspaper.

5. Breakfast this morning was a scene from Fawlty Towers: after 20 minutes of waiting (without tea!) the food arrived, bit by bit, some we had ordered, some we hadn't, but ok. However, while we waited we were treated to a view of a male guest waiting at the bar in his pajama bottoms, scratching his butt. Truly, this, I believe, is the identity crisis that seems to have taken hold at the Miramar. I guess I don't have to feel bad about wearing jeans in the lobby lounge anymore.

6. Dinner at FIG was delicious, but the grunge rock music was so loud we could not hold a conversation. We are ages 50-60, as were many of the other patrons, but I feel like their targeted guests must be in their twenties. The music does not fit the setting. On the other hand, the mosh pit was rocking.

7. The bellman told us the flat rate to the airport was $35 but Taxi #225 Independent Taxi of Santa Monica charged us $43 when we got to the airport. Permit #900, fyi.

8. I want to like this hotel more than I do. I used to love the elegance of the lobby, but the image in my mind now is a guy in pajamas, scratching himself. I feel like they have made a marketing error by targeting the drunken bar crowd; don't forget the older drunken luxury travelers! We are your bread and butter, we like to have conversations at dinner, we like privacy when we poop and nice quiet evenings when we retreat to our rooms to read our newspapers.

Keep it classy, Miramar. please.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gkfunnyface
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont for a weekend back in April.

The hotel is nice enough but they have a real problem with noise control. With the Bungalow open next door you hear people screaming through the corridors at all hours of the night and with no one controlling it. We stayed for two nights and both nights were the same. My husband even complained on check out but he simply got a shrug from the desk staff, for over $800 stay I don't think thats good enough.

The pool is ok, as are the grounds. Great location if you want to be near the beach and 3rd Street Promenade. But very expensive for what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple