“Most definite place to stay”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Beaconsfield
“Most definite place to stay”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A place for everyone to relax, rest and revive. Has every facility that you would keep You busy 24/7! I can't wait to get back there, for another zstsyy
Having a personal driver was one added firaghe
Of which
To enter

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Allan M –

Thank you so much for your review!!! It is true we have a lot going on here…so much that you don’t even need to leave!

Hope to see you during your next visit to Santa Monica!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Malibu, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed at the Fairmont Miramar many times. In every case, I have ALWAYS had a fantastic experience. On my most recent visit, my college-age daughter was staying with me and we were in a bi-level bungalow with a patio (my favorite of the Fairmont's accommodations).

Part of what sets the Fairmont apart from the competition in Santa Monica is the service - the staff is amazing. On our last visit, Candace and Jennifer at the front desk went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was amazing. I lost an earring the first night, called the front desk in a panic to ask for a flashlight to search the area in the closet, and a bellman arrived with the flashlight - and then spent thirty minutes helping me find it! The room service waiters worked hard to present every room service order beautifully. Our housekeepers lovingly cared for our room. The valet staff were friendly and helpful each time we needed our car. The pool attendants and pool wait staff created a fun and welcoming atmosphere that made us want to hang out there. Literally every staff member treated us as valued guests.

I love the location of the Fairmont Miramar and ability to hop out of the hotel and walk the Third Street Promenade, up Montana Avenue, or down Ocean Avenue by the beach . The fitness facility is well-outfitted, (not in a dreary basement as is so often the case), and the Exhale Spa is excellent. The food and cocktails are wonderful both the Lobby Bar and Fig. I have stayed at most of the other five-star properties in the area, but will keep returning to the Fairmont.

Room Tip: Bungalows make you feel like you are staying at a beautiful beach home. Ocean-view tower rooms on t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear TerrellMarshall –

I am printing this review and posting it everywhere so our staff can see these amazing comments in print…thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review! Remembering and singling out so many members of our team means so much to us…and it means we did our job right.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly to assist with any of your future bookings!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Everything from our arrival under the fig tree through to departure was completely enjoyable. The staff was warm and helpful, the room was appointed nicely and most of all our 6 year old girl was treated like a superstar! Thank you to everyone at the Fairmont Miramar for making our last few days in California some of the best (we wish we could have stayed longer). Cheers!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Justin L –

What a flawlessly fantastic review!! Thank you!! We wish you could have stayed longer too…so now next time you’ll have to!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family and I stayed here for a long weekend getaway at the end of April 2014. We had adjoining rooms and a suite on the 10th floor and why the rooms themselves were good (but not great), I cannot say enough great things about the staff at this hotel. We interacted with three members of the concierge staff (Amber, Ryan & Kyle) and they were all AMAZING. Each night they recommended different local restaurants and each night we were wowed by their selections. They made reservations for us at each place and clearly have great relationships with these restaurants because we were treated like VIPs given free dessert and excellent tables. I was also impressed by the fact that they remembered me and the reservations they made for us and asked how it went when I'd see them in the lobby the next morning. One night we were running about 10 minutes behind and despite having another call on the line and 2 other people at her desk, Amber was able to call Blue Point Oysterette to make sure they would save our table. Her professionalism and courtesy was wonderful.
We were also impressed with the staff elsewhere in hotel. My sister and I had called ahead and asked for a bottle of champagne be sent to one of the rooms in honor of my parents' anniversary. Within a half hour of arriving, the champagne arrived, along with chocolate covered strawberries and a personalized message from us. One morning of our stay was also very windy. We had the patio door open some and when my father came into the room, the door slammed causing a bottle from the bar to fall down and break. There was a housekeeper working in the adjoining room so we alerted her to what happened and she called to make sure we would not be charged for this bottle. When we arrived back at the room later that day, a bottle of wine and a gorgeous fruit and cheese plate was waiting for us with a note from the manager apologizing for that morning's accident and expressing her gratefulness no one had been injured.
Again, I cannot say enough good things about the staff at this hotel. Thanks for everything!

Dear lsumsum –

Thank you so very much for these kind words. Our team wows and impresses me every day, and it is beyond rewarding to read comments such as yours from our guests.

Amber, Ryan, & Kyle will be thrilled with the shout-out, as will the Room Attendant that alerted management to the broken shelf (which, by the way, has been replaced and secured to the wall many, many times over!)

The Miramar team and I hope to welcome you and your family back during your next visit to the States!

CT
Reviewed 27 April 2014

After a horrendous winter in CT, my 16 year son, 13 year daughter and I decided that we would head to sunny CA for our Spring Break. Our plan was to arrive in LA, stay for a few days and hit the PCH to SF. I decided to splurge and booked the Deluxe Ocean View Room for 3 nights at $599 per night. We arrived at our hotel around 9 pm on Saturday night. Our plan was to drop our bags and have a bite to eat at the hotel bar. We went up to our room to find that it was dated, not at all large and I could see nothing deluxe about it. We had dinner and the 3 of us collapsed into beds. I told the kids to sleep as long as they wanted since it was the first day of break and we had no where to be. Our room was on the 3rd floor and when we went to bed we heard a large party going on. Outside in the parking lot of the hotel is a club. There was a large line to get in, the place was packed and the music was loud. Much to my surprise we fell asleep even with all the noise. Despite the 3 hour time difference we slept until at least 11, but we were woken by hammering and tapping and scratching in the room above us. At first I thought we had noisy neighbors, then I realized it was construction. What surprised me the most was that it was a Sunday. Shouldn't work be put on hold on Sunday? Especially in a hotel? Well no and it was noisy. I bit my tongue thinking that we were leaving for the day anyway and it would not matter. I wanted to see our view as we had paid for a deluxe ocean view and low and behold a huge tree was right in our path. It would have been nice to have been higher up. We went out sight seeing and did not return until late. Monday morning I was woken up by the sound of scratching above me. It sounded like a mouse scurrying around. I realized that someone was prepping to start work and I figured that because it was not yet 9 am they were not allowed to get noisy. Well low and behold 9 am hit and the hammering started. My kids and I left the hotel and returned later to change for a swim. The hammering and noise was still continuing. We returned later and I had to say something. I called downstairs and asked to speak to a manager and was told I would get a return call. An hour later I called again and when i told the operator that an hour had gone by and I had,not had a response, she tracked down the manager, Stephanie. I explained my issue with the noise. Stephanie apologized profusely giving me the impression that I am not the only one, this is ongoing and that it was not ending anytime soon. I said they will be done by 5 and she informed me that no, they would not be be done until 830pm. Incredible. She offered to take 15% off my room for one night and give us breakfast the next morning. We were leaving at 6 am so breakfast was not an option. I also thought she had said 50% off one night which I was ok with, but still not happy. The next morning when we checked out and realized it was 15% I told the lady at the desk it was not acceptable and she said that she would let the manager know that I was not happy. I did not hear from anyone. I also want to mention that the shower was not great. I did not mention to manager as I was so ticked off it slipped my mind. When switching from tub faucet to shower only half the water came out of the lower faucet and rest came out of the shower head making for a very low pressure shower. My husband is a lifetime platinum member at Marriot so we could have stayed at the Ritz or a nearby Marriot, but we chose the Fairmont. Our next two hotels in California, a Best Western on the PCH and the Argonaut in San Francisco were fabulous and worth every penny. I don't how a luxury hotel can charge this kind of money for this type of accommodations and service. I feel that no one cared and more could have been done to compensate me for the noise. Customers should be informed when they check-in that construction is on going. Yes I get it that it was spring break and rooms were probably limited, but then perhaps those rooms in the construction zone should not be sold or should be discounted. The whole experience made me swear to myself that I will never stay at a Fairmont again.

5 Thank BrissleGirl66
Dear BrissleGirl66 –

There is much in your review to address…would it be possible to speak over the phone or via email? Please reach out to me at carly.skinner@fairmont.com and let me know if you are open to discussing further.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for our efforts to improve our property disturbing your Spring Break getaway. I assure you that is certainly not the intention, and I am confident we can make it up to you.

ma
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My daughter and I checked into this hotel on May 25, 2014 and we're first given the key to a room in the older, shabbier tower. The rugs in the hallway were buckled and dangerous, the room had a musty smell, and the furnishings looked like something from a few decades ago. All this for $300 a night. When I asked if there were nicer rooms, the woman at the front desk said yes, there were recently renovated ones. Why wouldn't they say when making reservations that the rooms were old and about to be renovated an offer a discount?

We got a renovated room in another tower, where it was more modern, but small, nothing special, certainly not worth the extra money they charged. It is now Saturday at 5:30 p.m., we've been gone since 9 a.m, and our room is not made up. I called housekeeping and got a tepid apology.

Last night there was a huge function here and we had to ask for a fan to help drown out the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
2 Thank tripsahoy13
Dear tripsahoy13 –

We have 20 room categories here at The Miramar, ranging from our standard Fairmont category rooms to our Premium offerings such as our Bi-Level Bungalows and Tower Suites. Some of these have recently undergone complete renovations and some haven’t, but I can assure you that all are well cared for and continuously updated. I apologize your initial room was not to your liking.

If you would like to reach out to me and discuss your stay further, I will make myself available at your convenience. My email address is carly.skinner@fairmont.com. I hope to hear from you.

Laguna Beach
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Wonderful stay during our Spring Break vacation. The view from our Deluxe Oceanview room was lovely. Staff very friendly and helpful! Steps to shopping, restaurants and the pier. Will come again soon!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Susan A
Dear Susan A –

Short, sweet, and to the point! Thank you for the fantastic review! Since you are just down the coast, I hope to welcome you back soon for another wonderful stay!