“Don't stay anywhere else”

Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
New York City, New York
“Don't stay anywhere else”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

There are other, dare I say better known, hotels in Santa Monica. But the Miramar has three things the others don't. First, its location is literally perfect, right on the bluffs at the bottom of Wilshire by the California Incline, and by the Promenade. Second, while it's true that some of the rooms are on the small side, each of those smaller rooms still has an ocean view, and is well-equipped. (By say New York standards the rooms are by no means miniscule.) Wifi is free if you take the time to join the hotel club. The bungalows are a signature offering - again, not unique to LA, but with the location as well really rather special. Lastly, the service is excellent, from reception to valet to the restaurants, and Fig, the in-house restaurant, is worth going to in its own right. Nothing is perfect, but my experience is that when it isn't, the Miramar staff bend over backwards to put it right. Very highly recommended.

1 Thank Alex J
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear alexgjohnson –

Here’s hoping everyone reading through these reviews on Trip Advisor listens to you! Thank you so much! And thank you even more so for recognizing that mistakes may happen, but it is truly the efforts and care the team puts in to making things right which make the difference.

I’m thrilled you left with such high opinions of us, and please let me know when your travels bring you back to the West Coast!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellent hotel in perfect location. The room was quiet, clean, spacious and comfortable. We were upgraded to a bungalow suite which we appreciated and they allowed us late checkout at 2.00 which we appreciated as we were flying back to Sydney that evening.The hotel has an iconic Californian style which gives it a great feel for the location.We loved our stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Maria M –

Thank you for your review! I’m so happy to hear we were able to make your visit with us that much more comfortable. And I love hearing our guests think of us as “iconic”! What a great compliment! We loved having you as much as you loved your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Was at the Fairmont for Memorial day W/E for 3 nights. Check in was the fastest I have ever encountered as soon as I got out of my car they asked me for my name and had my key all ready did not have to give a credit card, was in my room in 2 mins. The only negative is that I was on the 10th floor great room but could hear the parties being held downstairs by the bungalows.
I would definitely return great hotel and great staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The bungalows at the Fairmont Miramar and a great size. It didn't have the hotel room feeling. All of the amenities are first class and I thought the idea of having workout clothes already in the room was a great encouragement to use the facilities on site. The beach just across the street with wonderful walking paths was a plus.

Loved the beds and room service was way above par. Fantastic food, compliments to the chef and staff.

Room Tip: bungalows are gorgeous
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really wanted to like this place...had been looking forward to my stay for a while....and just was seriously underwhelmed.

You pay top dollar to stay here - the location is great and there is definite name brand recognition, but the hotel is old. Although quite clean and well equipped, the room was small and the bathroom tiny. 3 small towels. For some unknown reason the radio in the room was left on and tuned to some funky rock station when we walked in. The pool is small. Drinks out at the pool cost $14 each,,,I can understand that pricing in Hawaii but when sitting around a small pool with no view of anything but concrete, it seems extreme.

The lobby is elegant but also feels a bit pretentious. We were quite annoyed that some large private event bounced us from a previously arranged group dinner spot to a much lesser space...and even more annoyed that such deference was given to this big group that we were not even allowed usual access to drive up to the front door and check in (or exit that way) - we were all 'detoured' out a side door so as not to disturb the group.

The best time we had while staying here is when we left the property entirely...walked down to the Santa Monica pier, rode the ferris wheel and had a fun (and reasonably priced) meal and drinks there.

I don't think I will be back - high prices and just not enough to offer in return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I brought my daughter and stayed at the Fairmont Santa Monica over Memorial Weekend. We were upgraded to a larger ocean view room which my daughter loved. The Fairmont is also close to 3rd Street which was convenient. I would definitely recommend Fairmont SM for families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Robert S –

Thank you for your review! We’re so happy we were the perfect spot for your holiday weekend getaway. Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip up the coast!

Washington
Reviewed 29 May 2014

very good.
All personnels are smile and warm impressions.Rooms are pleasant and ocean view was breathtaking.Food was so delicious that I didn't have to chew.My compliment to the chef.And I always remember how polite young lady receptionist named Jennevive.She was really delight to talk with.I am anxious to go back to Santa Monica to stay in such a homely place like Mirama hotel.

Dear Jimmy C –

“Food was so delicious that I didn’t have to chew.” I think I speak for our entire F&B team when I say that is one of the best compliments we have ever received!! I will certainly pass your kind words along to Genevieve as well – she will be thrilled with the recognition. Thank you so much and hope to see you again soon for more yummy eats!