“Wonderful”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
england
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a wonderful stay here and the service and staff were very polite and helpful. The hotel is in a prime location, and the view looking out to the beach was wonderful. As per a previous review 'Wifi is free if you take the time to join the hotel club.' we would have liked to be made aware of this and taken advantage of this rather than having to pay! All in all we would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Bluebelle20
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Bluebelle20 –

Thank you for your “wonderful” review! My apologies for not informing you about the Fairmont President’s Club ahead of time…please reach out to me at carly.skinner@fairmont.com and I will sign you up for your membership personally so you do not run into that problem again!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Up there with one of the best hotels we have stayed in. We got upgraded to a beautiful suite with ocean views upon arrival. The service here was up there with the best we have had anywhere in the world - especially the concierge staff (all of them). Nothing was a problem whenever asked. Driver service was useful in their hybrid BMW 3 series (nice). Hotel suite was a good size, with lounge room compact but cosy. Comfy couches, great artwork and coffee table books. The staff even delivered us a microwave when we asked about one for our baby's food. Nespresso machine a bonus and bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Aircon seemed to struggle and they could not fix it, but it wasn't too hot outside so it wasn't an issue. We had dinner in the main restaurant/bar adjacent to the foyer (can't remember name) and it was lovely. Pool looked nice, but was a tad cold for swimming.
All in all a fantastic stay and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nZed808
Dear Nathan Z –

What a fantastic review, thank you! I’m so glad you and your family had such an amazing stay with us and enjoyed the suite upgrade! We know what its like traveling with small children, so we try to make the experience as seamless and hassle-free as possible. Thank you for the shout-outs to the Concierge and restaurant teams (for next time – the name of the restaurant is Fig)…we can’t wait to welcome you back!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Pros:

The location is excellent -- an easy 10 minute stroll to the pier.

Cons:

There was some sort of event going on in the courtyard that day, and all the cars were redirected to a side exit. When we drove up, there were half a dozen valets standing around idly. None of them seemed to be in any hurry to get the simplest tasks done, even though there was a queue of customers. I wondered if the valets were perhaps waiting for someone specific to arrive but this impression remained consistent throughout our stay so in hindsight I doubt this were the case.

Our room was on the first floor, but the carpet was worn out, the bathroom had a stale odor and the bed was lumpy, giving it an overall tired feel. The common areas could use some updating, but our room seriously needed a revamp in order to even qualify as a four star hotel.

I really got the feeling that management is not on top of things. It showed in the overall lack of maintenance as well as the generally unmotivated staff demeanor. It is a shame since there is so much promise in this location. I have always been fond of Fairmont Hotel but this particular property does not live up to the standard of others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Aquavanguard –

Sorry to see there are so many more cons than pros in this review. My apologies if your stay did not meet expectations. I can assure you that myself and the rest of our management team are certainly on top of things, and I am curious as to who the staff with the unmotivated demeanor are, as that statement does not seem to represent any of the colleagues I interact with daily!

Regardless, I apologize we haven’t gotten to refreshing your room yet. We are steadily getting through all 126 rooms in the Palisades Building replacing carpet in each and every room as we know how important it is to keep things updated regardless of how many stars we have! Since you’re not that far away, perhaps your travels will take you back down to LA in the near future…when they do, please reach out to me directly (carly.skinner@fairmont.com) and I will ensure you have a much different stay the next time around.

Arrowtown, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Fairmont is always a great product and Santa Monica is no different. Overall Great Hotel/Staff/Location/Services. Very difficult to find anything to fault, it made our stop on the way home very enjoyable.

Will be back again!!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Nicole M –

Short, sweet, and five stars! Thank you so much! If you couldn’t find anything to fault, that means we did our job. See you next time!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I've stayed here quite a few times, and it has turned into the go to place for mostly all of my co-workers when we travel to Santa Monica. The service is great, the people are attentive, and the ambiance is perfect. The beach view rooms are a go to choice

Room Tip: Go with the Beach View room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear J P –

Thank you for the five stars! We love being the “go-to place”, and it sounds like we are yours for all the right reasons. Looking forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back soon!

Crescent Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very friendly employees that took the time to explain all the amenities offered. My favorite was the complimentary car service up to 3 miles away, in what I believe was a 7-series BMW. There was a large wedding party that took over the normal entrance and there was a long wait for valet but most times a driver was available and quicker than waiting for valet. Great location with an easy walk to the Third Street Promenade and the beach is across the street.

I had a suite on the second floor in the back of the hotel facing 2nd Street. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that I could actually open the windows which was nice, but the windows could use an upgrade or some type of noise proofing. With the windows closed I could still hear the conversation of people talking on the sidewalk across the street in front of the Huntley Hotel. I could also hear the people in the next room talking and watching television through the adjoining door.

Room Tip: ask for a non-adjoining room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank druiddation
Dear druiddation –

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, but I’m sorry you only found us worthy of three stars! I can understand how hearing the conversations of neighbors may be disturbing. If you send me your contact information, I will ensure your profile is updated immediately so all your preferences are noted properly and you receive a room more to your liking during your next stay. My email address is carly.skinner@fairmont.com.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I barely asked if it was okay to bring my dog Frank with me, and when we arrived his name was spelled out in dog toys with a welcome package! Restaurant was fantastic, Bungalow was nutso but super interesting, and obviously popular. The location is perfect - we walked to the mall, through 3rd Street Promenade, up to a hair appointment, and just really enjoyed this 1 day 'stay'ation. I believe their doing renovations soon as well, but the service is what really made this stay stand out.

Dear Jacethebace –

Such a great review!!!! Thank you for recognizing that no matter how many improvements we make to the property, it is the efforts and passion of our team that really make us stand out. Since you live nearby, I hope you and Frank will be making a return visit soon!