“Favorite Spot in L.A.”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Lawrence, Kansas
“Favorite Spot in L.A.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Staying at this hotel always makes me feel happy to be in Southern California. It's nice, but not pretentious. The location and service are superb. It's a beautiful property near the heart of L.A. beach culture, but maintains a secluded feeling. And, it works surprisingly well as a base to work from if you're doing business around the city. Ask for a high floor or a bungalow, and make some time to enjoy the pool. It's special.
The only warning I might give is that the hotel sometimes books big parties with loud music on the grounds, which is a problem mostly because I like to sleep with my door open to the veranda. Ah, well.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor or a bungalow.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear LonnieBox3 –

What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time to leave it! I love when you refer to our property as “special”, because it certainly is. We pride ourselves on appealing to a wide variety of guests – whether you are here for business or pleasure, we have accommodations to suit your needs.

As for the events on the Front Drive, the majority of the building is facing the interior grounds, so when making your next reservation, please be sure to put in that request so we can do our best to keep you away from any disturbance!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our family stayed here for five nights for our first visit to LA. The hotel is beautifully presented with friendly staff. We loved the feel of the hotel which was luxurious but not pretentious. The location of the hotel is within walking distance of the shopping mall (which is so much fun) and theSanta Monica Pier. My only negative would be to the hotel would be to be more clear that the Fig Resturant offers juice at breakfa is not complimentary. The waiting staff will offer you juicalong with water and they will continually top your glass up which is charged per glass, this is not made clear to patrons. I was a bit slow on picking up on this and within two breakfast sittings out family of four consumed over $60 in juice. Otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel and Santa Monica as a holiday destination within LA.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Stuart J –

If the worst thing that happened is that we “overjuiced” you, then that sounds like a pretty successful stay to me! However, I will certainly address with our Fig team they need to be clearer about the way they offer their breakfast beverages so an inconvenience like this does not happen again. Thank you for the valuable feedback, and I’m so pleased you and your family had such a fantastic introduction to LA! See you next time!

Redlands, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was truly first class. The room was terrific with an ocean view, cushy bed with lots of clean, non tobacco smelling pillows (which many hotels have even though they are smoke free - can't take the tobacco outa the patrons even though you can take it outa the hotel). The service was courteous, classy, and immediate. The setting is great - you can walk to restaurants and the "hip" promenade easily. This is a great place for a special occasion. Pool area is nice, sheltered, and relaxing.

Room Tip: Say you want a "quiet room" as there is lots of activity in parts of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear chumbud –

What a “first class” review, thank you so much! I especially love your comments about our service, because that is what hospitality is all about, isn’t it? You’re not far away, so hope to see you again soon than later!

Ann Arbor
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I will recommend this hotel to friends and family. The hotel was always clean and the service was outstanding. Next time I go back to Santa Monica I will stay at this hotel. Been able to walk to the beach and the restaurants was priceless.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Andres C –

Thank you for your short and sweet review! Five stars and flawless stay – that’s what we love to see. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Torrance, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful property. We were greeted warmly by the valet, and the front desk staff.

Our ocean view suite was very well appointed with comfortable furnishings. The room and bathroom were both well laid out and spacious.

The bed was beyond comfortable, we had a great night's sleep.

The fitness center and fitness offerings were beyond compare.

Check out was a breeze and once again, front desk staff, bellman and valet were all quick, courteous and friendly.

My only regret is that I am limited to 5 stars for this property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joe G –

I’m so pleased you had such a great “staycation” with us! Even if you are from LA, a weekend in Santa Monica can feel like beachside getaway, and we are the perfect spot to make your home away from home. We wish you could give us more than five stars too :) Please let me know when you plan on returning, or even if you just want to stop by for a bite at Fig!

Bursa, Turkey
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is our second stay in this hotel and we had fantastic time again. We stayed last year before the renovation of the rooms and all family was very much satisfied. This year I wanted to try another hotel since it was right on the beach and I thought it would be more convenient for my kids but they all wanted to move to Fairmont after first night and we moved Fairmont again after first night. The only thing I can say about this hotel is fantastic; rooms are very comfortable, clean. We stayed one of the renovated signature suites and it was really great. View of the room was very nice, comfortable sofa and beds. I think it is really very convenient for families.
Additionally, the location of the hotel is great since it is just next to 3rd street, Promonade and right next to beach after ocean avenue. Fig restaurant in the hotel is must to try when you are in Santa Monica.
Finally, all the staff was fantastic. I would like to thanks all of them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear MEHMET A –

On behalf of our fantastic staff here, you’re welcome! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! I’m beyond thrilled you and your family love us so much you actually checked out of another hotel to come back! And it seems that you love us for all the right reasons. Hope to see you next year so we can make this vacation a tradition!

london
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms, both the bathroom and the bedroom could badly do with a makeover. they are however quite spacious, good lobby area and restaurant, good location. Would stay again but in the newer refurbished rooms.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rahul A
Dear Rahul A –

Though I cannot tell which room you stayed in, it is quite clear you were in one of the small handful of rooms we haven’t gotten to yet in our renovations project. I’m so pleased to see you would give us another chance however….please reach out to me directly at carly.skinner@fairmont.com before your next visit so I can ensure you are placed in one of our newly renovated rooms. I look forward to personally welcoming you back!