“On the beach.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Vancouver, Canada
“On the beach.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

You can't get closer than this. Across the street from the beach. Get an ocean view, the sunsets are amazing! The rooms are very nice & roomy. Very friendly staff.
The grounds are beautiful. Pricey but worth the treat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tripping123_11
CarlySkinner, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Tripping123_11 –

Thank you for your review! One of the highlights of our property is most definitely the proximity to the beach…and we make it even closer by offering our Beach Club services where our team will pick you up, drop you off, and wait on you hand and foot while you lounge by the ocean. Hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Booked this hotel with a friend for 2 nights and used the AMX Platinum Fine Hotels program. We received an upgrade to an ocean/pool double room. The room was decent with a small balcony, but overall, quite small. Maybe with only a king bed the room would feel bigger, but in the future, I would recommend booking a larger sized room for more than one person. The view of the ocean and pool were nice. We were allowed to check-in early at 1pm which was helpful. the location of the hotel is ideal and there's a great pizza place called 800 Degrees right across the street. If you are a light sleeper, take note, the rooms are not very sound proof. We heard the ladies next to us chatting late into the night both nights, as well as a newborn crying every few hours on the other side.

Now onto some other things....the prices are a bit much ESPECIALLY for food. I have no problem paying high prices for great quality food, but this was just a rip-off. We had a basic room service breakfast the first day (I mean basic...like eggs, juice, coffee, toast...no Mimosas, nothing fancy) and the total was $121.00 for 2 people (without a gratuity). The next evening, I got in from late work and had no time to grab food, I ordered a small cheese plate, a diet coke, and a bowl of french onion soup for the a grand total (drum roll please)....of $54.00. I'm sorry, but the food here just does NOT justify these prices. Not to mention, I requested no goat cheese on my cheese plate (to which the employee on the phone said "no problem")...and there was a good deal of goat cheese brought to my room and they forgot butter for my bread.

The pool is nice, but small with limited seating. On a Sunday afternoon, it was crowded with lots of unsupervised, screaming children. I realize the hotel can't stop all of this (or the 5-6 times a few children canon-balled into the pool splashing all over my iPad), but I was concerned by the number of people (and their bratty children) who were locals, claiming they were "visiting friends" staying at the hotel. It started to sound like essentially anyone in the area could come by on a hot day for a swim and no one was enforcing a guest only policy. That's a bit annoying and would easily explain the lack of chairs and loud, crowded pool.

Additionally, the internet service (even the "premium" one") was horrible. In the early evening, it worked ok, but by 9pm, I could barely even return emails and connecting to my work server was impossible. I called downstairs, and although they waived the price, the problem was never resolved.

The service was good and the staff was for the most part friendly (minus one bartender on Sunday afternoon in the hotel lobby bar...grumpy dude...sorry, you have not made it big in Hollywood yet, but don't take it out on me and my $15 cocktail!). A little annoying note...we had mini-bar services added to our bill that we did not use (yes, they were taken off, but a little annoying at a 5 star hotel), as well as the front desk staff needed to be reminded to take off our $100 hotel credit (included in our package) taken off.

Personally, I would not go back here if I needed a place for friends or family in Santa Monica. There are other 5 star choices in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Teresa567
Dear Teresa567 –

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, but I apologize we did not live up to your expectations. While our prices are competitive with the five-star hotels in the area, our service should be equally competitive and I’m sorry to hear we fell short there. I will be bringing your experiences to the attention of our In-Room-Dining and Front Desk teams to use as a valuable learning tool. And I will definitely see to that grumpy bartender turning his frown upside-down.

I am confident if you were to give us another chance we would be able to turn your opinions of us around. Please reach out to me directly at carly.skinner@fairmont.com so I may see to all your arrangements personally. I look forward to your five-star review after your next stay!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The front desk really went above and beyond, and that is saying a lot for a Fairmont, which are already excellent as a rule. My room had a beautiful ocean view and view west to the mountains. FIG is unbelievably good as well, had an incredible meal. This hotel has the best location in town as well. Can't beat it.

1 Thank oceanrenter
Dear oceanrenter –

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor! Our Front Desk loves to be singled out for their exceptional service, and Fig as well will be thrilled with the mention! Hope to see you again during your next trip down the Golden Coast!

Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Staying at this hotel always makes me feel happy to be in Southern California. It's nice, but not pretentious. The location and service are superb. It's a beautiful property near the heart of L.A. beach culture, but maintains a secluded feeling. And, it works surprisingly well as a base to work from if you're doing business around the city. Ask for a high floor or a bungalow, and make some time to enjoy the pool. It's special.
The only warning I might give is that the hotel sometimes books big parties with loud music on the grounds, which is a problem mostly because I like to sleep with my door open to the veranda. Ah, well.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor or a bungalow.
Dear LonnieBox3 –

What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time to leave it! I love when you refer to our property as “special”, because it certainly is. We pride ourselves on appealing to a wide variety of guests – whether you are here for business or pleasure, we have accommodations to suit your needs.

As for the events on the Front Drive, the majority of the building is facing the interior grounds, so when making your next reservation, please be sure to put in that request so we can do our best to keep you away from any disturbance!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our family stayed here for five nights for our first visit to LA. The hotel is beautifully presented with friendly staff. We loved the feel of the hotel which was luxurious but not pretentious. The location of the hotel is within walking distance of the shopping mall (which is so much fun) and theSanta Monica Pier. My only negative would be to the hotel would be to be more clear that the Fig Resturant offers juice at breakfa is not complimentary. The waiting staff will offer you juicalong with water and they will continually top your glass up which is charged per glass, this is not made clear to patrons. I was a bit slow on picking up on this and within two breakfast sittings out family of four consumed over $60 in juice. Otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel and Santa Monica as a holiday destination within LA.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Stuart J –

If the worst thing that happened is that we “overjuiced” you, then that sounds like a pretty successful stay to me! However, I will certainly address with our Fig team they need to be clearer about the way they offer their breakfast beverages so an inconvenience like this does not happen again. Thank you for the valuable feedback, and I’m so pleased you and your family had such a fantastic introduction to LA! See you next time!

Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was truly first class. The room was terrific with an ocean view, cushy bed with lots of clean, non tobacco smelling pillows (which many hotels have even though they are smoke free - can't take the tobacco outa the patrons even though you can take it outa the hotel). The service was courteous, classy, and immediate. The setting is great - you can walk to restaurants and the "hip" promenade easily. This is a great place for a special occasion. Pool area is nice, sheltered, and relaxing.

Room Tip: Say you want a "quiet room" as there is lots of activity in parts of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear chumbud –

What a “first class” review, thank you so much! I especially love your comments about our service, because that is what hospitality is all about, isn’t it? You’re not far away, so hope to see you again soon than later!

Ann Arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I will recommend this hotel to friends and family. The hotel was always clean and the service was outstanding. Next time I go back to Santa Monica I will stay at this hotel. Been able to walk to the beach and the restaurants was priceless.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Andres C –

Thank you for your short and sweet review! Five stars and flawless stay – that’s what we love to see. Looking forward to welcoming you back!