“What a surprise! ”
Review of Sea Blue Hotel

Sea Blue Hotel
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stumbled upon this hotel while looking for last minute deals. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint! We were at the beach all day and had a blast but didn't want to go home so we stayed here. Best idea ever! From the staff to the breakfast to the location, you cannot get a better deal by the beach. Special shout out to James and Aaron at reception for being so awesome!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AngelsLegend
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Nothing like a great STAY-cation at The Hotel California on the beach!! Thank you for the kind words and feedback. Please call me directly at the hotel when you plan your next trip. I'll take good care! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

What do four crazy Canadian pilots do when they dont want to stay by LAX?? They come to The Hotel California!!! Katie, Aaron and James were all awesome. Excellent tips on bars, beaches, shops, etc. We had suite #1 - it fit the four of us just fine. Got sent back to LAX in an awesome towne car with a bottle of chardonnay and pizza! You guys rock! If we end up coming back that way we will definitely be back. Thanks for the awesome hospitality guys! The worst part was that we had to leave!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

The Hotel California owner, The Dude, was born in Toronto. He's thrilled with your review and says Pilots are welcome anytime! The Dude knows the weather can get cold and tough up there, so please know you folks always have a room full of sunshine with us! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights with a young family - 8, 5 and 16 months.

We had a junior suite. It had two double beds in different sides of the room, but not completely separated (more like a staggered figure of eight shape). The bathroom was massive and we could have easily put a travel cot in there and used it as an extra room.

Lots of shelving and quirky touches in the room.

Katie on Reception was fantastic and made our trip. She loved our little toddler and was always so welcoming whenever we stepped into reception. Nothing was a problem for Katie to sort out.

There is tea and coffee served in flasks in reception 24/7 which was brilliant for us. They also do a continental breakfast in the reception area each day which was great.

The hotel is just 1 min from the beach and 2 min walk to the pier, so location couldn't be better. The only disappointment for us was that our room was by the car park and the rooms at the back are down a beautiful leafy tranquil pathway with chairs and seating. We only saw that once we'd completely unpacked and our children had made a real mess of the room, so we couldn't / didn't want to ask to move, but had I known that, I would have requested to be down there.

Beds were the comfiest of all 7 hotels on our California trip.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the car park, further along the path to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Near the beach, clean and friendly - but not cheap!
Aaron and Katie were very supportive!
Rooms very clean - and I was able to sleep off my jet lag.
But: please improve your internet - it's very slow!
For some days in LA ist a nice place to stay!
The location is very near to the beaches but also to the Getty Villa and
Getty Museum - a must see!!!

Room Tip: Breakfast is not good - so look for another place to start your day....
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Greeting Hans! So great to hear your stay with us was "clean" and "friendly." As for the WiFi, based on your review, we called our technicians and all is running smooth! We just did a massive WiFi upgrade last month so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Though we do not offer a full service omelet bar, we do offer a FREE continental breakfast which has been a hit with our guests...oversize blueberry and coffee cake muffins, assorted bagels with cream cheese, fresh fruit, assorted yogurts, rich coffee and juices.

Please, next time you plan your return visit The Hotel California, call me directly at the hotel so I can take great care of you! Sincerely, James Broome, The Hotel California

Reviewed 23 April 2014

this place is awesome. I was with my husband and another couple and we only stayed for 2 nights and I didn't want to leave. #1 directly on the beach. #2 the people who worked there took care of our every step. There was a guy named James I think, he literally was so nice that he gave us free parking for a night, reduced our rate (for no reason!) gave us free cab passes- and here is the kicker: my husband is tall, he is 6'8" and in a boutique and unique place like this it was going to be a problem, so they found one room that had a tell ceiling in the bathroom and no footboard on the bed. It was perfect! There was another guy named Aaron and he helped us find everything locally that we needed. Do yourself a favor, stay at this beautiful place. Stunning flowers everywhere and the rooms were so cool! You will not be disappointed. Plus, for us it was great, because it was two couples and the second bedroom was sort of separate, and the main bedroom had a door so there was privacy compared to hotels where it's just one room with the beds next to each other. Loved it! By the way the beds are fantastic.

Room Tip: Call and talk to them and they will help you get the right room for your needs. That's what we d...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Katie - As a fellow Kentucky native I had a blast hosting your group! The Kentucky-Louisville NCAA showdown was a ton of fun and you made my day with your lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed the BEAUTY REST mattress :) Upon your return, please call me directly here at the hotel and I'll take great care of you guys! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family and I stayed here last month. The beds in our two rooms were amazing, we were able to sleep off our jet lag pretty well! I sincerely appreciated the cleanliness, especially after staying at some questionable hotels on our trips. The service was exceptional as well, really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Sydney - thanks for the lovely note from Canada! The Hotel California owner, The Dude, sends his regards to you - he hails from Nova Scotia and takes pride knowing fellow Canadians enjoyed our hotel in the California sunshine! When planning your return, please call me directly so I can take great care of you! Cheers, James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a little older, but the staff and service were stellar. I had a few requests that were a little out of the ordinary, but James took care of them without question! I received a pretty solid discount by calling the hotel to make my reservation. I was in Santa Monica for work, but I would really like to bring my wife here sometime.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hi Jazzbball - I'm thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay with us! I look forward to hosting both you and your wife - we'll keep the pizza parties hopping upon your arrival. Please call me directly so I can take great care of you! James Broome - Front Office Manager