“Ok. ”
Review of Sea Blue Hotel

Sea Blue Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

No air conditioning left our room very hot during our stay in July. Most times it was cooler outside than in. Service was helpful. Our plane wasn't leaving until late on the day of checkout and they gladly held our luggage for us for the day. Rooms are getting a little worn and could use a renovation. Limited parking at a cost.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brock A

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here on the recommendation of a close friend. I live in the area, but needed somewhere to stay so that I didn't have to drive home after a work dinner. The Hotel California was the best priced place on a street where most of the hotels are $400 and up per night. I believe that I paid about $299. That included free breakfast and internet, which normally you are nickel and dimed for that the bigger hotels. Everything was great at this beached-themed property, although I had a little trouble checking in. When I arrived, the man at reception (PJ or JP) seemed somewhat disinterested when I inquired where to park my car. The hotel only has 10 spots, but they were all full. I was a little aggravated with this, which was met with a kind of "not my problem" attitude. I ended up parking next door at the Lowes hotel for like $40, which seems to be the going rate around Santa Monica.

The next morning I encountered James and Aaron in the lobby, and let me tell you that those guys were great! They more than made up for the night before just by being easy going and nice. A little hospitality goes a long way. I explained the parking issue and we all ended up talking for about 15 minutes. I had totally forgotten about the mishap the night before, which really made a big difference. If you go stay here I sure hope that you get to deal with these two guys!

Anyway, The Hotel California was a great place to stay, but I wish I would have had my family with me. Next time I'll bring them along and we can hit the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank McCordian
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for the kind review! I'm glad we helped you have an enjoyable experience! Please come see us again and contact me directly for a return rate - either through hotelca.com or directly at 310-393-2363. Congrats on picking the hotel that doesn't pick your pocket! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms are dated and could use a freshen up but they were clean and spacious. Very close to the pier and a short walk to other attractions. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Breakfast was good - bagels, muffins, juice, coffee and fruit. The only issue is parking - the car park is very small and you can't guarantee a spot. We parked at the 3rd St shopping centre for $14/night. Overall we would stay there again!!!!

Stayed: July 2014
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Greetings, Amanda! I'm pumped you enjoyed your stay with us. You picked the hotel that didn't pick your pocket! Our rooms are currently undergoing an artwork makeover - so thanks for the note. Please let me know when you plan to visit us again at hotelca.com or 310-393-2363 and I'll take good care of you! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The staff here was so NICE!!! I would rather stay in a just OK hotel with amazingly nice staff than stay in a five star with rude employees. So as far as staff goes, this place is a five star. Katie could not have been more cheerful and welcoming. But our room wasn't ready until 4-4:30 and we were pretty beat from the day so that was kind of a bummer. Then our remote had no batteries so we took it to the front and they were nice and brought us a new one but our TV didn't work period. It turned on but the channels would not change, even when we tried doing it on the side of the TV. Then my daughter wanted to take a bath, no plug and when we asked they didn't have one. I mean it's an older hotel so we get it. Also, they give you a free wifi code but it didn't work for us. :( It didn't ruin our trip. It had character and charm. We were in room 38 and the noise at night from the street was pretty rough; again not the hotels fault, just want to give you a heads up when you book. The steps down to the beach are pretty steep and might not be great for someone with disabilities or really small children that have lots of stuff to haul down. But it's close to the pier if you want to spend your time there. Parking is $38 a night which I find insane especially because we have stayed at a lot of places along the coast and never paid that much. If you're lucky though there is a lot across the street that only charges $14 and they may have some empty spots. Hotel California only has roughly 6-8 spots and it's tight. But again, in their defense they don't try to hide the fact that there are other parking options and very good about telling you where they are. So I'm just kind of eh ya know (insert shoulder shrug) about the place. Oh but yes the beds and sheets were great! I felt I should throw that in since others were commenting on it.

Room Tip: Take a room that is not on the street side. To loud!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Greetings, Christy! I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your standards...folks usually love our beachy hotel vibe! I'd love for you to give us a second try. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel 310.393.2363 and I'll take good care of you! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived as a family of four (two adults, two kids (17&14) ) from the UK. We had 8 fab nights in this iconic abode. It's a value for money hotel, it ain't a $500 night place to sleep as the hotel next door is, but you get a top drawer mattress and decent nights sleep, we had a suite No9 which was a great room for the four of us. Breakfast was great value. A lot of thanks too: James, Aaron and Katie who smiled and were very helpful with everything the whole time we were there. Cheers for the memories!

Room Tip: Great for families
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Hi Gates Family!

We were so happy to have you all to ourselves for a whole week! It's so great to hear that you guys had such a great trip and stay at The Hotel California! As you mentioned, our beds are super popular - that;s because we have all new BeautyRest mattresses in each room. Katie, Aaron and I were so happy to see that we did a great job as hosts! After all, our job is to keep it cool here at The Hotel California!

I hope that everything is going smoothly now that you're back home, but don't get too comfortable! The beach and all of us are here ready for you to come back and do it again! Whenever you decide to take a leap across the big pond please give me a call directly at 9310) 393-2363. I'll be sure to offer you a nice return-guest discount and get you an awesome room! Hope to see or hear from you soon!

- James Broome
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We originally had booked a suite at a Hotel on the other side of the pier and has been their since the 30's. We have stayed their before. We were bumming around the net came across the Hotel California.

It looked kind of beach funky and we love the song it's named after even though its not the ore the same is named after. No big deal, the Eagles would approve. This hotel is so Californian beach hip that you can't help but love it. The moment we saw the place we knew we made the right decision. Upon entering the small lobby we were greeted by Erin and Butler. Our name was on the blackboard behind the check in counter welcoming us. Very nice touch! Erin was working the desk while Butler sat in the corner holding court and being very gracious. We had a short conversation that was very cool, just don't ask him any questions! He has even written a book that is for sale at the front desk. My wife read some excerpts and really loved it. We will probably order it when we get back home. Check in was a breeze and these are some very hip cats working here so they make it fun while still taking care of business we were given an upgrade while checking in.

Our room would be considered a suite for it had a living area, separate bedroom, long hallway adjoining both with a really nice bathroom. This one had a mini fridge, two cooktops, microwave, sink, and dishes, glasses, coffee mugs, cookware, silverware, and everything you need tobring it back to the room and cook. We had a nice couch, table and chairs, great artwork, and a bay window to let fresh air in. No act here, but with a ceiling fan in the living area and one in the end room you really don't miss it.

The bathroom was a very comfortable size with sink, toilet, and tub/shower combination. Let me tell you that The Hotel California has the best water pressure of any Hotel I have ever stayed and the hot water was always there from the moment you needed it. This is a big deal for travelers! A rain shower head made it even more enjoyable.

Our bedroom was adequate size. It had three closets, safe, large window with ledge for placing items on, ceiling fan, and the top of the line Beautyrest mattress and it was great sleeping. The mattress is advertised all over the place with these little plaques everywhere. It was a wonderful bed and really nice sleeping, but the plaques were kind of funny.

There are a number of buildings on both side of the courtyard that comprise the Hotel California. A long walkway goes between them to stairs leading down to a private gate to access the beach or Santa Monica Pier. Benches, chairs, and a few tables give plenty of room for morning coffee, a bottle of wine, a smoke, and even a nice place to bring dinner back to. We enjoyed the space a lot!

The only coffee in the room is decaf, the lobby has regular coffee 24/7 with apples and bananas all the time. Morning continental breakfast was pop tarts, muffins, bagels, and juice. Just enough to get you going, unless you go out for breakfast. T shirts, sunglasses and Butlers book are all for sale in the lobby.

They will hold your bags for you if your plane is after check out as ours was way past noon. We took the Big Blue Bus from LAX for $1.00 each. It let us off on 4th and Colorado I believe. A short walk to the hotel, about 4 blocks or so. No big deal. We took the new LAX shuttle from the Civic Auditorium for $8.00 each. This is up Olympic off Ocean Ave, and then left on Main St. And about a block or two up on the left. Really convenient.

The Hotel California is convenient to all the good restaurants, beach, 1 mile walk to Venice Beach, the 3rd a Street Promenade and so much more. Why spend at least twice as much and have less than half the fun you will staying at the Hotel California. It's our new place in Santa Monica! Cool people, great area, funky beach chic, top of the line Beautyrest mattresses, and a awesome staff make the Hotel California a hit.

And to top it off when we left California and got to Moorea French Polynesia, the French Couple who we rent one of their Villas from said before they fly home to France next month, they are spending a while in California and are staying at the Hotel California too. Small world, but the word is out. Cool travelers looking for a great stay at a great rate are heading to the hotel California and you should too! Just don't ask Butler any questions!

Room Tip: A two room suite is great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mccrazyone
Hotel Californi... S, Front Office Manager at Sea Blue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for such a wonderful and in-depth review! Congrats - you picked the hotel that didn't pick your pocket! Butler sends his best your way. On you return trip with us, please book direct with us at hotelca.com or 310.393.2363 for a fantastic return rate! James Broome, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed at The Hotel California for a couple of days in June. We are from Sydney, Australia and after traveling for 13hours we were very tired and got to the Hotel well before check in time. We met Katie at the front desk and she made sure that our room was ready within about 10minutes. We were extremely grateful to her for that. Katie looked after us so well and made us feel so welcome. Nothing was too much trouble to the staff. I recommend this Hotel to anyone, it has such character and is so close to the Santa Monica pier. We will definately stay their again.
Cathie Leggett.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Cathie - I'm so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and that Katie made the check-in process as smooth and fast as possible. When planning your return with us, please book direct at hotelca.com or 310.393.2363 and I'll be sure to get you a fantastic return rate! James Broome, Front Office Manager