“Very good value with professional and helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Santa Monica
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Phoenix
“Very good value with professional and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Definitely the best Travelodge we have stayed in. Very good value for Santa Monica in a great location, restaurants and shops nearby, easy to get to the beach and pier via #7 bus if not driving. The atmosphere created by the staff is professional and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable with all necessary amenities, especially the courtyard rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rupert B
BobbySmtl90405, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Santa Monica, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. At Travelodge Santa Monica Hotel, we take pride in ensuring that our team is providing the best customer service and top of the line amenities. We would like to invite you to come back and visit our property again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Last minute solo trip over the holiday season. The staff where brilliant and always helpful. Though under construction this did not effect my stay. Night time was quiet and the rooms always clean. Not far from LAX $30/40 cab ride. There is a trader joes and ATMs all within 2mins walking distance. Busses to Santa Monica run 30s walk away from the lodge.

My reason for 5stars would have to cost, the staff and location. Would highly recommend this place. I've travelled a lot and this kind of hotel is just the ticket. Great money saver. Allowed me to spend more money for dining and bars and was able. STAY AT THIS PLACE!

A massive thank you to all the staff

Kind regards

Room Tip: I stayed on the first level which suited me fine.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jason K
BobbySmtl90405, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Santa Monica, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hello Jason,

We really appreciate your positive review of our hotel. Our staffs always try to be as helpful and accommodating as possible. Hope to see you again on your next trip to Santa Monica.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed here for a couple nights just after New Years, mostly to visit with a sister-in-law that was also visiting but staying (at a MUCH more expensive hotel nearer to the beach). We had no experience with the area at all so relied on TripAdvisor reviews exclusively, and as usual they didn't lead us wrong.

When first we arrived, I was very, very worried. The place isn't being renovated, it's more like being built! It's in an older, small residential neighborhood that I was concerned about at first. However, after walking around the block the next morning, it's actually a very peaceful and safe place IMHO. But from the outside, frankly the place looked like a dump. To get to our room, we had to climb a flight of stairs at the back of the hotel - which can be a pain with luggage, but not too bad. Only 1 story to climb. It's obviously an old building, but when we got into the room itself we were pleasantly surprised. While very, very space-efficient, it was also very clean and inviting.

There is no tub, just a shower. The sink is in the main room beside the 2nd bed. TV was nice though, and there's a small table nearby and a small fridge and microwave too. It's not a big room by any means, but I gather space is at a premium in the area as a whole and it was plenty big enough for us 3. I think I paid around $150/nt which - considering the area and average price - seemed quite reasonable. So once we got to our room my initial fears were relieved.

We didn't go to breakfast there, so I can't comment on that, but we slept very peacefully and I do love the type of bedding used - very comfortable. The only downside is there's really nothing around - but the beach isn't too far down the same road (Pico) that runs beside the hotel.

Parking became a bit of a concern when we returned the next night late. There were no spaces beside the main building where the office was. There's a second and third building with parking between them (closed off) and another on the far end. They've also made a deal with Trader Joe's that lets you park in their lot, and the office gave me a card for the dashboard for that. But turns out I didn't need it, there was a space available in the far lot. Not sure I'd have liked to leave my care in a business' lot after hours, but at least they've got that option when the normal lots get full.

All in all, I was quite happy with Travelodge and would stay there again. The renovations being done are EXTENSIVE, and when complete I expect the hotel will be even better. (Prices may rise at that point, but that would be expected and probably still worthwhile). But, though the work being done makes the place look worse than it its, it really didn't hamper our stay much at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 1BlueDragon1
BobbySmtl90405, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Santa Monica, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent visit to Santa Monica. The good this is the stay was to your liking despite all the renovations. We strive every day to provide clean comfortable rooms and exceptional service. The breakfast area and building exterior is under renovation currently which will be complete soon and will be a welcome change for all guests as well as the staff. We hope you visit us again soon.
Moses Lake, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Decided to take a spur of moment trip to Santa Monica with our extended family. Would love to have stayed close to the beach. Would love to be wealthy. Would love to be young and handsome. None happened so we moved up Pico Street to the Travelodge, based on recommendations on this site and the lack of other options either being available or affordable. (Extended family means my kids and their kids which means my credit card.) We had been on the beach all day and straggled to the hotel just before dark, just so we could get a glimpse of the much discussed construction. I was surprised how well all was functioning considering the wall to wall scaffolding and a couple good sized dumpsters. I wasn't planning to sleep on either, so it was mostly a curiosity. The lady at the desk was a great help, sorting out our three rooms, getting us parked and pointed in the right direction. The rooms were well put together, a touch larger than I expected, although still not spacious, but with an interesting floor plan; one designed for multiple night stays and some in-room snacking. The microwave, refrigerator, bar sink, and small table in a separate space worked well. The bathroom was clean and well appointed, but I would institute a 'knock before entering' rule for this area, particularly if one was spending any thinking time on the throne and had a healthy regard for his or her knees.
I was surprised to see a wood laminate floor on the two rooms on the first floor, with carpet on our third room, which was on the second floor. After thinking about it, however, it made sense with the thought of other beach going tourists dragging sand everywhere. Since the carpet's sound killing qualities would be necessary for upstairs, carpet it was, or so goes my interpretation.
The breakfast was temporarily served in room 109, way in the back corner of the first building, with five or six small tables and a couple tables out on the edge of the sidewalk. We opted for the sidewalk seating. Worked for us. The food, while limited, was fresh and someone was replenishing as fast as the crowd allowed. Definitely more than adequate.
It did seem a bit odd to walk beneath the scaffolding getting about the site, but no major inconvenience. It speaks to the dedication of the ownership that such a major project would be taken on for what is primarily appearance only.
I would certainly come back to the Travelodge should we decide to venture to the Santa Monica area again. Love to people watch and there is definitely a unending supply of watching worthy subjects on the beaches and piers in that area.

Room Tip: Pico is a busy street so getting to the back of building would seem most logical. Traffic wasn't...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EZWash
BobbySmtl90405, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Santa Monica, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is really important to us . Our team strives to ensure that each of our guests are provided with excellent service .Thank you again for being our guests and we hope to see you again soon!