“You have to read the comments to understand the 2 rating”

JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is complicated and sorry, I can't tell the story in a few words. I really struggled with what rating to give this hotel. The property itself is what you would expect from a Marriott but maybe not from a JW. It is nicely located with a brief walk to the beach and the pier.

If your trip is business and this location is close proximity, the hotel is probably OK (except see below about my frustrations with disappearing items - maybe even "theft").

If your trip is pleasure, find somewhere else to go. This part of California is really in decay. It is very sad. Case in point - there is a Nordstrom a few blocks away. I walked there to pick up a few items and couldn't help but realize the people on the walk there. Once inside, I happened to use the restroom. It was the filthiest restroom by far I have ever seen in a department store, much less a Nordstrom. I went to let them know and they explained that there are many homeless people who essentially bathe in this restroom. Now I am all for programs that support the homeless and show that with financial support but such an environment is not where I would want to spend a vacation.

That brings me to Venice Beach which is very close. Once quirky, eclectic and fun....it now seems more a place for the really sad down and out. I have now stayed at two hotels in the area who have told me "not to go there after dark." Ugh. How sad.

In all fairness and trying to be balanced...the beach right behind the Marriott is nice and if you head to the right, rather than the left, it is lovely. It is also right by the pier if that is important to you.

Now my other issues with the hotel. I had to move rooms at about 9pm because there was a major fight going on in the room next to me. I stay in hotel rooms all the time and this is very rare. In fact, it is the first time I have made this request. Clearly not the fault of the hotel and this by itself had nothing to do with my rating. I packed quickly and moved to the new room. Immediately, I realized that I left a pair of shoes behind. Yes, I am sure I had them. The front desk team didn't have much of a sense of urgency to recover my shoes. They said the housekeeping team didn't find them and they couldn't go in the room and check since there was now a new occupant.

When I checked again, they weren't helpful at all and kept asking if I am sure I had them. Well, the never turned up and no one at the hotel seemed to care much. In fact, despite my request with two people, they never even followed up. This is the first time that this has ever happened to me before. I have left things in hotel rooms and not remembered until much later and I always have recovered them. It is not so much the fact that the shoes didn't turn up, it is the fact that the Marriott staff didn't really seem to care. It was very clear that it was my fault/problem.

I definitely would not stay here again for these reasons and certainly would not recommend it to anyone in my network for business or personal travel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank austinjjc
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I would like to start off by apologizing that we were unable to locate your shoes and that you felt our staff was indifferent towards it. I will personally check with our housekeeping manager to see if they were able to locate them. Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. I apologize for the lack of empathy you encountered during your stay and I hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel does not meet the standards you would expect from a JW and surely not worth the money. The room decor is dated and the rugs are stained. I've stayed in Courtyards that are nicer.

We had negotiated a lower business rate with the manager Andrew in advance and after we checked in they would not honor that rate. We cut our stay short and moved to another Marriott.

Look at other options before settling for this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve D
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and saddened that we didn't live up to your expectations of a JW hotel. We just to finished our renovation in our guestrooms and are excited to showcase them. I also would like to apologize for not receiving the pre-negotiated rate, if you email me the details of your reservation I will be happy to look into this a further.
I hope you give us another opportunity and I will personally ensure that you have a true Le Merigot experience.

Caroline
Caroline.appel@lemerigothotel.com

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 days here at a conference. Staff is terrific. Rooms are great. Right next to the beach, the pier, and several terrific restaurants. Our conference itself was terrific. Only grievance is I didn't get my early morning wake up call I had ordered. Good thing my personal alarm woke me up. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive comments and happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very good location in Santa Monica, service was quick and professional upon arrival. Room was good, not great. Was hoping for a nicer room since I'm a Marriott Platinum, but overall room was still very nice. Beds were excellent, housekeeping very good, just wished there were more power outlets.
We had breakfast on property both days and it was very good, again service was very good.
Property is easy access to the beach, shopping and restaurants.
Pool is pretty small and there is surprisingly no Hot Tub. We didn't use the on site Spa.
Seen some comments that this property shouldn't be considered a "JW" and in some ways I agree, it might be more of an autograph collection type of property, but the service / professionalism is very much a JW property. Lastly I left my Bose Headphones in my room and called to report it, within 24 hours they located them and shipped them back to me, big THANKS

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hagearty
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for my daughters high school spring break. Traveling from Chicago the purpose of our trip was to get some overly needed California sunshine and visit UCLA. The hotel was amazing! Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted at check in by a young lady whom was extremely professional, polite, and friendly.The room accomodations were also great. The room was recently updated and modern. We had a partial view of the ocean my wife and daugther loved it! Throughout our stay the staff was very friendly and accomodating. We could not have asked for more from this hotel. The location is perfect for either a bike ride down the beach, fine dining in Santa Monica, or just hanging out. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Thanks to the entire staff for an amazing experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Todd D
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our arrival on March 9th was a bit of a challenge as the LA Marathon was in progress and the roads near the hotel were closed off. Consequently, we had to walk a good 6-7 blocks with our luggage in tow to the hotel.

Despite this hiccup our stay at the Marriott (only 3 nights) was a genuine delight. Kudos to Caroline Appel's special touches and her desire to fulfill all our wishes - starting with our beautiful room with a terrace overlooking the ocean. Further special mention to Matt at the Reception area who recommended some fine restaurants that appealed to us. Other staff members including the Concierge were also very helpful. Alas, it was too short.

The location is ideal for restaurants and shopping (be sure to have breakfast at Cora's). Venice Beach is a very short drive away as is LAX. We just barely scratched the surface so will be returning next week to pickup where we left off exploring the many sites of Santa Monica.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was actually enjoying my stay: The check in staff was extremely amiable and caring. An asian female (I forgot her name). Super friendly. Another gentleman literally walked us to the pool area to show us where it is. The grounds are picturesque with partial views of the ocean. The rooms are actually decently sized. And the beds were heavenly.

I mean... I would have gave this place 6 stars. Until about 9pm when we got a knock on our door. A bell boy. Latino. Young. And extremely rude requested that we pick up the phone. It's not like we didn't hear the phone. It rang at the same time he knocked.

I'll admit we were loud. It was my fraternity brother's birthday AND he's recently passed the bar. So we were celebrating. We sang happy birthday. Played music. Cracked jokes. you know typical interactions between friends. We were getting ready to head out for the night. The call was the front desk who kindly asked us to lower the music.

Fine.

We turned off the radio. But continued to talk. We're getting ready to go out and hang in Santa Monica. We immediately, like no joke 5 minutes later got another bang on the door. 2nd complain. And the dude was extremely rude. Same bell boy. I wish there were words to describe how indignant and crass his attitude was. Some guy down the hall yelled "I'm paying 2k for this s**t!!" And I'm like... Music is off we're just talking are the walls THAT thin??

About 3 minutes after that ANOTHER guy... in a beat down suit. Looked like an old limo driver. Knocks on the door. Are you kidding me? at this point we were whispering... 3rd complaint???

Are you serious?? I get that old people fall asleep early but it was like 9ish and we were making no noise whatsoever. At this point it was clear the dichotomy between us and them. I've never felt so unwelcomed at a hotel in my life. 3 complaints within 10 minutes. We just left.

I stay in hotels about 70 nights a year. 50+ with marriott hotels (that I pay out of my own pocket--not some company. Not for work but my own leisure). I've stayed at JWs in downtown LA, Miami, New York, New Orleans and more that I can't remember. I've been louder. Like way louder in Miami. With more people. And have never received a complaint, nor had a cheesy bell boy try to punk us into leaving the hotel.

This made me not even want to stay at the hotel. We literally went out. tip toed back. slept. woke up. and left. screw that.

That's how you treat elite members?? I'm switching my loyalty over to Hilton.

Room Tip: Park at Santa Monica courthouse for $5 per day (72hrs max) it's literally a street away.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Caroline A, Director of Sales at JW Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I am pleased to hear that you had a great arrival, but disappointed that our hotel was not able to live up to your image of the JW Marriott brand. We are a luxury boutique hotel, which may differ from other JW Marriott’s you have visited. I understand noise complaints can be frustrating however we are obliged to address every complaint we receive, even if we receive three complaints back to back. Taken in combination with the Santa Monica city ordinance that does not allow loud music past 10pm, we are careful to ensure all of our guests get a good night’s sleep - that is why many choose to stay with us, and what most people expect when booking a hotel room in general. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy one of the many bars in the area intended for partying, instead of partying in your hotel room with your friends. Your comments are of great concern to us and I want you to know that we are addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. I apologize for the lapses in service you encountered during your stay and I hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next visit and give us an opportunity to show you a true Le Merigot experience.

Caroline