The hotel is steps from the beautiful, albeit busy, Santa Monica beach. It is a sister hotel to Shutters, which is located next door. This hotel maintains history, grandeur, and charm. Shutters is very nice, but more like a quaint resort on Cape Cod where the ultra-rich stay. Either way, the resorts share amenities, such a bike rentals. The hotel is two to eight blocks from many nice restaurants. In order to stroll and celebrity watch along Montana, I'd suggest a bike or a drive to get there. Surfing and paddle-boarding is great right outside the hotel, though renting can be a challenge. I'd suggest going down to the beach (with cash) and looking for one of the two groups than rent there: not great boards, but better than lugging them from a mile away. We rode bikes along the path all the way down to Venice and up as far as you can go, but the path stops before Malibu.
Regarding the hotel, it was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Staff was helpful and polite. Rooms were extremely beautiful: I only wish I could have stayed longer. It was possibly the only hotel I've ever stayed at where I considered resting in the room all day instead seeing the sights! For those luxuries, a price is paid ($450/ night but we think this was likely a deal). The room has lovely decor and every amenity you made want: Kurig coffees, the best (healthy) mini bar I've ever seen, etc. We stayed on the top floor and had a "city view" room (aka non-ocean view). It was quiet and we did not miss the ocean view because you just walk outside and around the corner to see it or saunter down to the lobby. There was a wedding one night & I think the ocean view rooms may have been rather noisy due to the dance, so I was actually really pleased at our choice. We did not eat at the hotel, but had dessert and drinks next door at Shutters, which was nice.
Overall, I certainly plan to go back. This was an easy, stress-free, place to stay where the ocean is easily accessible and dining is steps away. Casa del Mar certainly made the trip so more enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Casa del Mar is located right on the sand in the heart of the Southern California seaside community of Santa Monica, mere steps from the Pacific Ocean on Santa Monica Bay. The hotel is adjacent to the historic Santa Monica Pier, the dynamic Third Street Promenade, Main Street, the elegant shopping and dining areas of Montana Avenue, as well as the gardens, walkways and expansive ocean panoramas of cliff-top Palisades Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Casa del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Hotel Santa Monica
- Casa Del Mar Santa Monica