“An expensive but nice splurge”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Denver, Colorado
“An expensive but nice splurge”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The hotel is steps from the beautiful, albeit busy, Santa Monica beach. It is a sister hotel to Shutters, which is located next door. This hotel maintains history, grandeur, and charm. Shutters is very nice, but more like a quaint resort on Cape Cod where the ultra-rich stay. Either way, the resorts share amenities, such a bike rentals. The hotel is two to eight blocks from many nice restaurants. In order to stroll and celebrity watch along Montana, I'd suggest a bike or a drive to get there. Surfing and paddle-boarding is great right outside the hotel, though renting can be a challenge. I'd suggest going down to the beach (with cash) and looking for one of the two groups than rent there: not great boards, but better than lugging them from a mile away. We rode bikes along the path all the way down to Venice and up as far as you can go, but the path stops before Malibu.

Regarding the hotel, it was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Staff was helpful and polite. Rooms were extremely beautiful: I only wish I could have stayed longer. It was possibly the only hotel I've ever stayed at where I considered resting in the room all day instead seeing the sights! For those luxuries, a price is paid ($450/ night but we think this was likely a deal). The room has lovely decor and every amenity you made want: Kurig coffees, the best (healthy) mini bar I've ever seen, etc. We stayed on the top floor and had a "city view" room (aka non-ocean view). It was quiet and we did not miss the ocean view because you just walk outside and around the corner to see it or saunter down to the lobby. There was a wedding one night & I think the ocean view rooms may have been rather noisy due to the dance, so I was actually really pleased at our choice. We did not eat at the hotel, but had dessert and drinks next door at Shutters, which was nice.

Overall, I certainly plan to go back. This was an easy, stress-free, place to stay where the ocean is easily accessible and dining is steps away. Casa del Mar certainly made the trip so more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Top room cost more, but was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We ended our USA tour at the Casa Del Mar. It is very "old worldly" which is lovely. We tossed up between Shutters and Casa but glad we chose Casa due to the charm this hotel has. The rooms are nice, not large but decorated in a way that makes you feel at home. Very comfortable beds and it is quiet to sleep. The staff are a little aloof, it would be nicer if they were a little more friendly. Unless you take an expensive suite you only get a glimpse of the beach from your window. Being a Leaders Club member I was disappointed I didn't get anything from the hotel or have this acknowledged in any way, so I am not real sure of the advantage of being a member now. Casa is a beautiful location and a lovely hotel that I highly recommend. Great end to our holiday.

Room Tip: If you have the money get a suite!
Reviewed 21 September 2012 via mobile

A gorgeous hotel with amazing views and a beautiful property. I stayed for busines and won't be back to spend the night. I would go for the restaurant and the views. If you might need to get a good night sleep go somewhere else. Here is a detailed list of what went wrong in my one-night stay.
1). When using the shower, water came out the tub spigot and shower at the same time, taking power away from the shower and wasting water. This is an easy thing to fix. Surprised such low quality tub fixture was used, despite very nice other fitures and showerhead.
2). My room had an adjoining room, and there was insufficient sound proof between the rooms, I could hear the entire conversation next door when I wanted to sleep (they were loud, not the hotels fault, but the sound insulation was poor).
3). When I called front desk to ask if they could gently suggest a lower tone of voice next door, they sent security to my room, who knocked on my door, and woke me up again, instead of asking the neighbors to pipe down a bit, making the situation even worse for me.
4). Later at night the noise level next door picked up again, I called the front desk again, and I got another visit from security. They wanted to come listen in my room. I was in bed and didn't want a visit from security. I just wanted to sleep.
5). My room was just above the main entrance. There was a lot of noise right out my door at night. I looked down and it was sliglty tipsy guests leaving the hotel and spaking very loudly on the sidewalk and just hanging out. Cool enough; but it was right out my window. I called to ask the front desk to please offer guests outside a place inside to chat, or to please be respectful of sleeping guests (and neighbors). They sent security to my room to because they wanted to hear it from there, instead of stepping out the front door to address the situation. Another unwanted visit from security to my room.
6). Ford motor company was filming a promotion early the next morning. Beginning about 6 a.m. I was awakened by horn beeps and parking cars out front. Each time they parked and locked a car it made a horn beep. The street was filled with Ford cars in the morning.
7). At check-out time I went out to find my driver and he wasn't there. I asked the guy at the front door who spoke no English and couldn't help me. It turns out the Ford commercial was blocking the road and not allowing my driver to pick me up from the hotel. It took me over 15 minutes to call the car company, track down my driver, and figure out what was going on and find him. I was 15 minutes late to an important meeting that I flew from New York to Santa Monica for. The Front desk wasn't aware the commercial would be filming. The staff seemed confused about it, even thought the hotel management must have been aware to offer the permission, and also Ford held an event in the hotel itself. So the hotel management clearly must have known; but notified neither the staff nor the guest. More troubling, they didn't caution guests ahead of time. Obviously I wouldn't have stayed there if I knew this would be going on.
8). My room was next to the elevator. There was insufficient sound proofing and so you hear the elevator go up and down all night and morning. This is an easy fix with a layer of soundproofing in the room wall behind the bed.
9). I hung out poolside for a few hours to watch the sun set. Nobody came to offer a drink or anything else. Plenty of excess barmen and barmaids downstairs. Nobody could wander by the pool to take an order. Beautiful view though and spectacular sunset.
In sum, this property is nothing short of amazing and sits on an enviable piece of beach front with spectacular sunset views. If they could only manage it better, or do something to apologize for mistakes, I would consider staying there and recommending it again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Chas B
jbarela, General Manager at Casa del Mar, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Chas B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your detailed comments. I have reached out to you privately to further resolve these issues. Your business is most appreciated, and I thank you for bringing these glitches to my attention.

James Barela
General Manager, Hotel Casa del Mar
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Excellent customer service, great location. Had a little bit of a problem upon check in - the vanity in the bathroom was full of dirt and sand. As soon as I have rang the front desk it was all cleaned up and smooth sailing from there. Would definitely love to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We just got back from a long weekend it Santa Monica at Case Del Mar....great hotel. We booked an Ocean view room, but got a partial ocean view in my opinion, the bellmen was assume and he got a moved. We ended up on the Northwest corner, view of the ocean, the boardwalk and Shutters. I would request the north side if available.
Pool area is great, would be small if kids were there, but for our purpose it was perfect.
The onsite restaurant Catch was great for dinner and was also just as good for breakfast.
Service throughout the hotel was outstanding. A minor snafu with the concierge which I had arranged a day car rental prior to coming and they had no record of it, and there were no cars through the close rental agent. But he did find us a car a short cab ride away, worked out, just not as smooth as I'd hoped, and it ended up costing us about $100 more.
Spa experiences were great!
Overall would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Again shoot for Northwest side of building and upper floor for best views. Careful on the Veranda...
1 Thank jimstooth
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Even though the hotel and expenses were kindly covered for us by a relative, the service and ambience at this rather grand hotel were less than satisfactory. $12 extra for Internet on top of the already exorbitant room rates, shampoo and toothbrushes available as an extra, and limited coffee supplied in the rooms.

That was all OK as it goes. What was really concerning was the way the fire alarm went off at 6:15 am. While we were grateful that the alarm worked, there was no system at all in place for informing guests of what to do and where to assemble etc. There seemed to be no manager available to organise any contingency plan. In the end, the bell boys did their best. No compensation or explanation was officially offered.

While the Casa del mar is a grand old dame, and ideally situated, I felt that the feel of the place was wrong from the start. We had just got off of a 15 hour flight, granted, but nevertheless, the hotel promiosed much but in the end delivered little. Rooms was beautiful and the bed was comfortable and clean. Apart from that, we could not recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Pdjonesonline
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights in this beautiful, well located, charming hotel. They have a beautiful, big and charming lobby where you can hang out there, have a tea or a coffee in the morning, its really nice and very well decorated.
The rooms are also very well decorated, we have a room with view of the ocean which was really nice. Our room was kind of decorated with a "beachy" style. Bathrooms are clean, shower separated of the bath, nice and big, water jet in the shower is great. Beds are really comfortable.
Breakfast was nice. It's not a buffet though. It's a la carte but they have a lot of options, including healthy one which is great. Free wii fi.
The location is just perfect. It's right in front of the beach and walk distance to everything(restaurants, shops, attractions at night, etc)
They have a service with cars where they can bring you in the area for free. Its really great so you dont have to worry too much about taxi. You can just leave a tip.
Good service as well. Nice people.
We loved it and this place was just perfect for us. It was about 500$/night.

1 Thank Krystelle005