“Top notch all the way”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

To start, the only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars was I felt a need to knock off a star for value. But if you going here, you aren't looking for value, you are looking for a posh place to lay your head. The other note is regarding Santa Monica in general. Avoid it during the American Film Market weekend if you aren't part of that circus. The place was completely sold out and the lounge was always crowded and noisy.

All that aside, the room we got was great. It was 706, so almost top floor and looking out towards the pier. The sunset and pier at night were great to see. The service was top notch. We had the concierge recommend a restaurant and he suggested something a little further away that wouldn't be as crowded, the Pacific Dining Car (see my review of it for details). The hotel even had a car that took us to the restaurant and picked us up later (Myron, in an Audi A8).

It is not a place for the cost conscious. We had a breakfast included rate, but that just meant they have us a $60 credit for the restaurant or room service. Breakfast ended up being $80+ and $90, and that was for what I would consider an average breakfast (coffee, juice, pancakes/waffles/omlette).

It was definitely worth it for a weekend anniversary get away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heath H

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This really should not be a mixed review, this property has everything it needs to be stellar. But as always it's all in the details. First let me say if you want beach access and beautiful views this is the place for you. Best housekeeping I have had in ages - and I check. The only dust in my room was behind the safe on the top shelf of the closet. Kudos! Nice room, but the furniture was made for a room twice that size- very tight. The TV looked to be the size of the bed. So while it was a really nice room, it felt a little Alice in Wonderland. Lunch in the cafe was wonderful - as was our use of the board room. The evening front desk staff were quite cold (see note below) however I found the morning staff warm and welcoming.

If you need to print a document you might want to look elsewhere. I'm not sure why you have a business center without a printer. There was a note that it was out for service (all 3 days of our stay), but how hard is it for a hotel of this caliber to replace it with a temporary printer. The front desk staff were completely unaware of this and quite frankly didn't believe me. They did offer to print my document if I emailed it to them, but of course I had to refuse as it was not for all eyes.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sylviesbluebird
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed with my family at Casa Del Mar to mark the end of our vacation to California. We wanted to stay in Santa Monica s its one of the few places in LA which is walkable.

Having booked I read some scathing reviews on trip advisor and was a little worried about what we'd experience. I need not have worried.

The hotel's location is its biggest asset (just look at the pictures), and its staff come a close second. We experienced nothing but excellent and cheerful service, including a late checkout and excellent advice from the concierge.

Our rooms were small (and I'm saying that as a European). As we did not spend much time in them this was not a big problem. The ventilation system in the cupboard leaked water onto our clothes on our first night. Annoying - yes, but the hotel fixed the problem and laundered all our clothes very swiftly. $34 for valet parking is a cheek when you've paid Casa room rates and contrary to what others have said, wifi is free. Bike hire and boogie board hire was also steep - but great fun!

Overall - I'd stay again as the hotels location wins every time if you are on vacation and want to stay on the water.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BigginsBoy
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stay here a few times a year when I'm in town for business. The hotel is beautiful and the location and views are amazing. The rooms are decorated in sort of an elegant beachy theme, if that makes any sense. The rooms are comfortable, the bathooms are large and include a rubber duckie, and you can't beat early morning runs along the beach. Overall it's a beautiful place and a throwback to the California of yesteryear.

Room Tip: Make sure you have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CBEB1
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I took my mother to Casa Del Mar to celebrate her 80th birthday and my 46th bday as well. It was fabulous and they took royal care of us. The day I checked in, I mentioned it was our birthdays and they upgraded us to a gorgeous room overlooking the ocean. They sent up a bottle of wine as well on the house. Every step of the way they tried to help us and guide us. My brother surprised us as well and they sent up an extra bed at no charge. They delivered flowers and a champagne breakfast perfectly (from husband). They really didn't miss a beat. The location is perfect on the ocean for walks in the morning and close by to restaurants if you want to walk...but they also provided a free town car to take us to our destination at night. It could not have been a better hotel and they met and exceeded all of our needs. It was perfect! Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kgerig
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel is beautiful. Lovely public areas, right on the beach. When you walk into your room you are impressed.There are however many annoying little features in this hotel that would stop me from staying here again. There are only 2 plug sockets in the room, located under a cover which means that an Apple computer charger will not fit in to it, nor will a foreign plug adaptor. I had to charge my computer and phone in the bathroom. There is a coffee maker in the room. If you try to use it you have to clear the desk area as there is nowhere else to put it. There is not enough room for two people's toiletries in the bathroom. Worst of all is the soundproofing. We could hear the people in the next room talking, drying their hair and even opening and closing drawers. We booked breakfast inclusive, only to find that coffee, cereal and a croissant exceeded the breakfast credit. What a joke when you are paying $600 a night. They don't tell you that breakfast is up to a maximum of $30 when you book. If I had been here for any more than one night I would have moved.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Axecroft
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had a delicious dinner with a wonderful view of the ocean. The food is excellent and the service is top notch. Then into the lounge for cocktails and live music. Great atmosphere with a great vibe!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends