“Thank you for your hospitality!”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We just stayed at Casa after the New Year on a stop from Hawaii back to New York. We landed at LAX at 5:30AM and knew that the hotel may not be able to accommodate as early as a check-in as this, but I can happily report that they were able to move a couple things around and get us into a beautiful room so that we could rest from our long flight. We were SO thankful to the kind woman who helped us that morning ( I was so tired that I didn't get her name). We had a room with a patio that faced the interior by the pool. It was a lovely room that made us feel at home. We had brunch next door at shutters which was also great! I had a massage at Sea and couldn't of been happier with my masseuse. We will certainly be back!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Definitely no complaints here! This property is stunning, the location is excellent and the service is top notch. The beds are unbelievably comfortable, the food at the restaurant was wonderful and the view the view the view!

We also spent some time at the pool which is just as well appointed as the rest of the property. If you're looking for an upscale beach property on the Los Angeles waterfront this is a stunning option.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mhlefforge
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I booked this hotel as it had a room with a Sea View, gym and full Spa.
Was very upset to find on arrival that the view was a partial view. The management explained that they considered it a standard view however, if I wanted a 'direct sea view'. I had to pay an extra $200 dollar upgrade for the premier sea view. I complained to Expedia who agreed to pay for upgrade. I have to email them invoice, so awaiting the refund.

All the rooms are looked in upon. Other buildings, people on the street etc can look into your room and thus curtains need to be pulled depending on how modest you are.

I saw several rooms, they are nice with four poster beds, large tv and Jacuzzi baths and tv in the bathrooms. robes towels and toiletries are good.

they have a coffee tea machine in the room but the tea coffee is not good.

Gym is a small windowless room, with some separate weight machines, dumb bells and one bench. better than a single multigym, but not really a fitness centre or to the standard one might expect from such an expensive hotel.

Spa, is massage and treatments only, and of course very expensive.
Has a small outdoor swimming pool, very windy thus no one used it.

Parking they have a valet service which is $34 daily. This is more expensive than neighboring hotels which charge $12 to 17.

You can street park over night for free til either 7am or 9amdepending on day of the week. Then in the day beach parking next to hotel is $6 for the day 9am to 6pm. Unfortunately You have to move the car after 6pm.

located on the beach and close to peer. Santa monica, is a quiet place and distances to restaurants and shops are still a fair walk. Not that much going on, unless I missed it.

Room Tip: standard sea view is sea at an angle only see pictures. premium view is direct sea view and is nic...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank skjdas
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here twice (en route to and from South America from Australia). I found it the most wonderful place to relax in the middle of a long 4-day journey. I could have chosen a cheaper faceless airport hotel, but I really enjoyed being by the beach and having such a wonderful hotel room to relax in. I went for a morning walk on the beach, watching the sun rise, the surfers "waiting" behind the wave breaks and the pelicans cruising along about 20cm above the wave-breaks. It made me feel alive after so long in air-conditioned aeroplanes and airports. The room was just gorgeous. Spacious, beautifully furnished and with lots of nice touches - like a collection of nice hardback books, beautiful shells etc. I felt like I was staying in the spare room of a lovely home and it was such a refreshing change from the dim brown faceless hotels of the world. I spent the day in my room, reading etc. I had a comfy armchair and a chaise longue to choose from, and positioned myself to gaze out of the window over the pool area to the beach beyond. The only thing that could have made the room into perfection itself would have been a balcony, but there are none (rooms by the pool area have a small outdoor terrace, but do not overlook the sea). The bathroom was also huge, with a shower and a bath with spa function and little windows that could be opened into the main room (but were suitably glazed for privacy if one prefers to keep them closed). I booked a breakfast room rate and decided to order room service. I had a sumptuous breakfast costing only a few dollars more than the $60 credit, all served on a white-clothed table brought in and positioned in front of the window. I was in seventh heaven! (I filled in the breakfast order and hung it on my door the night before - it was delivered at exactly the time ordered.) I found all the staff very helpful and polite. It is worth looking around you to appreciate the décor in the main area. As perhaps the hotel name suggests, the place has a Spanish/Moorish feel; look up at the ceiling in the entrance way; it is painted deep blue with gold stars between big wooden beams, and the floor is tiled in mosaic. I loved it! It had character with fun, sophistication but a real welcoming homely feel. Have I raved enough about this place?!!! Yes, it is expensive, but it is a very special place. I did book a better room as I don't like being cramped, and I knew I was going to spend most of the day in the room, so I can't comment on the "standard" rooms. But the extra I paid for a better room was well worth it.

Room Tip: I paid more for a spacious room as I intended to spend the day in the room, which I was very glad to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 19 November 2013

we statyed one night at casa del mar and got married on the beach outside, lovely. our room was clean and well stocked, the staff was friendly and attentive. i called before we arrived to inform them i was having flowers shipped in and the received them for me and had them waiting when we arrived. the did a great job of helping me make my stay and wedding day flawless.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

To start, the only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars was I felt a need to knock off a star for value. But if you going here, you aren't looking for value, you are looking for a posh place to lay your head. The other note is regarding Santa Monica in general. Avoid it during the American Film Market weekend if you aren't part of that circus. The place was completely sold out and the lounge was always crowded and noisy.

All that aside, the room we got was great. It was 706, so almost top floor and looking out towards the pier. The sunset and pier at night were great to see. The service was top notch. We had the concierge recommend a restaurant and he suggested something a little further away that wouldn't be as crowded, the Pacific Dining Car (see my review of it for details). The hotel even had a car that took us to the restaurant and picked us up later (Myron, in an Audi A8).

It is not a place for the cost conscious. We had a breakfast included rate, but that just meant they have us a $60 credit for the restaurant or room service. Breakfast ended up being $80+ and $90, and that was for what I would consider an average breakfast (coffee, juice, pancakes/waffles/omlette).

It was definitely worth it for a weekend anniversary get away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heath H
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This really should not be a mixed review, this property has everything it needs to be stellar. But as always it's all in the details. First let me say if you want beach access and beautiful views this is the place for you. Best housekeeping I have had in ages - and I check. The only dust in my room was behind the safe on the top shelf of the closet. Kudos! Nice room, but the furniture was made for a room twice that size- very tight. The TV looked to be the size of the bed. So while it was a really nice room, it felt a little Alice in Wonderland. Lunch in the cafe was wonderful - as was our use of the board room. The evening front desk staff were quite cold (see note below) however I found the morning staff warm and welcoming.

If you need to print a document you might want to look elsewhere. I'm not sure why you have a business center without a printer. There was a note that it was out for service (all 3 days of our stay), but how hard is it for a hotel of this caliber to replace it with a temporary printer. The front desk staff were completely unaware of this and quite frankly didn't believe me. They did offer to print my document if I emailed it to them, but of course I had to refuse as it was not for all eyes.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business