“Fabulous Hotel for a Weekend Getaway”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I just spent a long weekend in celebration of our wedding anniversary at the Casa del Mar and agreed it is one of the nicest hotels we've stayed in. Although we live in San Diego only a short drive from the beach, Casa del Mar's location directly on the beach was truly a plus. The hotel's reception area is appointed beautifully and the staff welcoming immediately upon our arrival. The decor and comfort of our room was light and airy (Rm. 618 on the 4th floor just above the pool area with a view directly out to the ocean and sunset) with many personal touches. With the windows open, we enjoyed hearing the surf as we were nodding off (we were lucky to have warm temperatures & sunshine for our stay) -- windows closed, the room was very quiet. The jetted tub was relaxing after a day out riding bikes and shopping along Abbot Kinney Blvd. and the 3rd Street Promenade nearby. We enjoyed live music Saturday night in the lounge while having dinner. Speaking of dinner, the food at Catch is excellent. Sunday brunch was delicious as well and portions generous. The seating area of the lounge is quite comfortable, so we enjoyed a happy hour drink while watching a bit of playoff football on TV (no sound to disturb others). We've both agreed we will make a point to return to Casa del Mar for another weekend soon -- it's a very special place!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellypea56

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have stayed at the Casa del Mar three times over the last four years, always with consistent results. The hotel is gorgeous, historic, beautifully maintained, and perfectly situated right on the beach and close to Santa Monica attractions. Everyone I've encountered who works at the hotel is a consummate professional. One time a couple of years ago my husband and I brought our puppy (they're dog friendly!), and the valet staff had a stash of dog treats for her. The rooms are large, with lovely thoughtful touches like dimmer switches everywhere, thick towels, great bath products, jetted tubs and terrific books in the room in the event you have time to relax. The Casa del Mar is the only place I will stay when I have to go to LA.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jsoak
Reviewed 19 January 2014

For sure not a cheap Hotel but it is worse each penny. The rooms are decorated in a maritim way and make you feel comfortable immeditaley. Beautiful lobby and restaurant with great views. Staff very helpful. I prefer the Casa del Mar rather then Shutter's on the Beach (next door) what is outstanding as well. I do look very much forward for my next stay at the Casa del Mar

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Naitsabenomis
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I don't think this is the property for just one or two nights. The hotel was built in 1926 in Italian Renaissance Revival style and is a bit like a new pair of expensive shoes, you need a couple of days to appreciate what you have. Great location, great staff and service. The 3rd floor bar/lounge area with the nightly music is fantastic - make sure you have a room on a high level to avoid the music. The rooms are a bit unusual in design, however spacious, beautifully decorated and fitted out. Some plumbing noise from adjacent rooms but not too bad.
Don't worry about a view room, save youself a few bucks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BazMelb
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We could not have been more exhausted when we showed up. The room was beyond comfortable and inviting, it was gorgeous and dreamy! The sea shell beach theme was really very pleasant and not at all tacky. There was a beautiful four post king size bed and the jacuzzi opens up into the room with an artful shell inlay in between. I can't believe I forgot to take pictures!

The food was wonderful.

Room Tip: it's all about the honeymoon suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cat V
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We enjoyed staying at Casa Del Mar.
The hotel is really nice, location fantastic and service good.
Rooms were clean and quite spacious. As a family of seven, we had three rooms. My husband and myself the Ocean view room. I must admit i was a little disappointed that we had to over look a car park and look sideways to see the ocean. Being a bit fussy there i guess, but when we pay for three rooms I would have hoped for a little better than that. I'm pretty sure there were rooms better situated.
Over all though, we had a great stay

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kelli T
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We just stayed at Casa after the New Year on a stop from Hawaii back to New York. We landed at LAX at 5:30AM and knew that the hotel may not be able to accommodate as early as a check-in as this, but I can happily report that they were able to move a couple things around and get us into a beautiful room so that we could rest from our long flight. We were SO thankful to the kind woman who helped us that morning ( I was so tired that I didn't get her name). We had a room with a patio that faced the interior by the pool. It was a lovely room that made us feel at home. We had brunch next door at shutters which was also great! I had a massage at Sea and couldn't of been happier with my masseuse. We will certainly be back!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple