“I will return to this hotel!”
Review of Casa del Mar

Casa del Mar
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I stayed for one night with my teenaged daughter on a combined business/leisure trip. It was the perfect balance: Sophistication enough for my meeting in the lobby of the hotel; relaxed enough for my daughter to feel comfortable hanging out while I was working. The service was expert but geniune. The rooms were beautiful. I will definitely return whenever I'm in the area.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 September 2009

Stayed for three nights for a business meeting. The hotel was much nicer than I expected and was an excellent value for the price. It was one of the most comfortable rooms I have stayed in for quite some time. I certainly rate this a 5 out of 5. The only comments would be the view and the restaurant.

If a view is important to you then be careful which room you reserve. In order to save money I reserved a room without an ocean view. The room I had was on the first floor and looked out on a wall. I could not see anything from the room. This was fine with me since I was rarely in the room but if you want a view make sure you ask for one or you may not get it. There are many rooms with fabulous views, but of course these will probably be more money.

The food in the restaurant was very good but like most of Los Angeles a little pricey. The only negative was that the service was a little slow so if you are in a hurry you may want to go elsewhere.

I have never stayed next door at Shutters which is a sister property, but many of our group had, and they all agreed that the Casa Del Mar was much nicer and a better deal for the money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2009

This hotel was amazing- great location, the rooms are so comfortable and have so much character! The pool is small, but the staff takes great care of you and the views can't be beaten. And, either way, the beach is at the front door. All of the staff - front desk, bar, room service, pool- was helpful and attentive! I will be back next time I'm in Santa Monica!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We stayed here one night since we were leaving from LAX the next morning. I booked a partial view king room but got upgraded to an ocean view since our room wasn't ready at check in. The hotel staff are professional, but friendly. I loved the room and the colonial style decor. We had a four poster bed, chaise longue, beautiful marble bathroom with tub and shower. The bed was really comfortable, and the view overlooking the pool and beach was amazing.

Excellent location. Breakfast was included in my rate and we chose to eat at Shutters on the Beach (sister hotel) from their a la carte menu. Valet cost per night $33.

The hotel is expensive but well worth it. I am not sure I would come here for a long stay due to the cost. I expect a little more in terms of complementary services for the price. Free internet point would have been a big plus. Spa prices were overly expensive.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

this is an incrdibly expensive hotel,but it is truly plush, comfortable and luxurious without being over the top.atmosphere is calm and cozy.rooms are not very big but very,very comfortable with very soft and nice beds.we had a pier view room which adds to the experience. bathroom nice.restaurant is expensive but good.if you can afford the hotel, it is a very good option, but the location demands a lot of money. similar hotels in other parts of the world cos a fraction, but this is santa monica...

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2009

what a wonderful experience, the views on both sides of the hotel are just breathtaking!! This was our first trip to San Diego and I had wanted to be on the water, we stayed in the Casa Del Mar building facing a waterview with a private balcony at a wonderful rate! My family all loved it so much that not only did we stay our original 5 days, but also booked it again when we came back to San Diego to take our flight back to NYC. The staff is friendly, informative and professional, from the front desk personnel down to every member of the staff, bellman, maids and landscaping staff. The rooms are large and immaculate, plush bedding, large bathroom and best of all the private balcony. I dislike hotels that have balconies that you can see your neighbors.
The pool was large and had plenty of chairs and clean towels. We will definitely be staying here again and recommending it highly to all of our friends. Thank you Mr. Levine for running such a wonderful establishment!!

Reviewed 9 August 2009

The hotel as a facility is well positioned and well designed, the staff do what is expected and the facilities are basic. Do not bather to have breakfast in, price is unreasonable and the variety is minimum. Some other reviews had mentioned that a lots of steeling goes around, I did not face that, may be because I kept everything locked in the safe with nothing what so ever laying around, but to record it "Nothing was stolen during my stay at the Casa del mar".
That being said, The hotel smells like dog pee, returning home I washed everything in my bags and the bags themselves, the smell is disturbing, and my stuff afterword smelled embarrassing.
If I would travel to Santa Monica again Casa del Mar won’t be choice!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo