“Route 66”
Review of Hotel Carmel

Hotel Carmel
Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was our last stop on Route 66 right in the centre of Santa Monica and a short walk to the fantastic beach where Baywatch was filmed. Our car was whisked away by a friendly valet man - no charge. The room was a bit small but beds really comfortable. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and booked us on a 'hop on/hop off' tour of Los Angeles. There was a fantastic Italian Restaurant right opposite the hotel. On our way to the hotel the traffic was horrendous. We were worried that we might miss out flight with such heavy traffic, however, the Manager gave us directions on the old road and we arrived at the airport with loads of time to spare. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Trish D
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Trish D

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the review of our hotel. If your future travel plans include a return visit to Santa Monica, we would happy to welcome you back to Hotel Carmel. Safe travels!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a wedding. It is old, tired and depressing. The door didn't lock properly, no housekeeping service, the table top lamp was connected to a switch, along with the clock, so the clock had to be re set every time the switch was turned off. The tv frequently malfunctioned. The blinds were broken, the towels were musty. Reminded me of the cheap places I used to stay in when I was a young adult and couldn't afford anything else.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rubybouvier
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Rubybouvier

Thank you for staying with us. I’m disappointed to learn of all the issues you encountered during your visit. There were new door locks installed last week so I’m not sure if you stayed with us before that time. I was also very concerned by your comment regarding no housekeeping service. We do provide daily housekeeping service but it sounds as if we might have missed servicing your room. It is pretty obvious from your review that we fell short of some basic guest expectations. Please accept my apologies for our shortfalls and trust that I will share your review with my management team. Your review is very important to us and we will work on correcting the issues you brought to my attention. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Carmel in July 2012. It is located on 2nd ave and broadway, just a quick walk around the corner from the 3rd st promenade which is filled with shops, street performers(great free entertainment) restaurants and cinema's. Then in the other direction just a short 5 minute walk to the beech and pier area.

Overall this hotel was great, it was alot cheaper then the other hotels around the area, it doesnt have a pool or deck area like some of the bigger chain hotels, but let's be honest, who travels (from ireland in my case) half way around the world to stay inside the hotel?? Valet parking is by far the cheapest around that i have found and the staff are very helpful. (it was $14 when we stayed but from looking online it appears to be $17 dollars a night now at the time of writing this)

To summarize: Great price, Great location, Cheap parking. I will stay here again the next time i visit santa monica

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My stay at Hotel Carmel in Santa Monica CA left me feeling taken advantage of and alone. I stayed there for 4 nights for a fair chunk of money- $159.00 + $10.00/ day for wifi a night for 1 bed and bathroom.

Their wifi never works- it worked 20% of the time over my stay- I'm from Brisbane AUS and this left me with no way of contacting home for 80% of the time. I understand technology doesn't always place nice- but not once was I offered a refund of any of the days I paid $10/day to utilise this service.

It was when I checked out the real nightmare began. They charged me 3 times the amount of my stay and told me "they had no records of this". The staff were rude, unhelpful and not interested. All I needed was for them to send a fax or email to my bank stating the mistake and I would get my funds back immediately- I am 19 and travelling alone on the otherwise of the world- you can imagine by distress. I was polite when asking for help and they gave 1% effort by answering the phone. Their General Manager Angela was super rude!! She hung up on me when I continued to call BEGGING them to PLEASE help me as I had next to money left!! After the first 3 calls she then magically became "unavailable", "in meetings" or "out of the office". I even got hung up on once! Eventually my bank helped me out and refunded my money and reported them for Fraudulent behaviour. DONT STAY THERE!! The location and the price is not worth your hassle!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Alex J
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Alex J

I’m very sorry you considered your experience at Hotel Carmel as being taken advantage of and left alone and we acknowledge that the situation was upsetting to you. Your reservation was originally for one night and you extended your stay with us two additional times for a total of 4 nights. As a point of clarification, our records indicated that we authorized your card three times for a grand total of $758. Your stay with us exceeded that total. What we didn’t have a record of was our hotel authorizing your card, which is a hold of the funds, three times for $758 each time. You were persistent that we had, so on the assumption there was error somewhere between the hotel, the credit card processors and the bank, a letter was faxed to your bank from us with a request to release of any additional authorizations that might have been on your account above the $758. Given the situation, I can understand you might think something is being done deceptive, however; there is nothing to be gained at the hotel from an authorization and your card was actually charged the correct amount from your stay at check out. Once again, I’m very sorry you were so upset and we regret that this situation left you with such a poor impression of our services.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great location but hotel needs work.staff friendly and accommodating.It is walking distance to most of Santa Monica's main attractions and a car is definitely not necessary.many good restaurants nearby as well as the beautiful third street promenade which makes the location very worthwhile .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stosh48
Reviewed 1 April 2014

All rooms facing inside are affected by some machinery (see picture) which continuously creates a humming noise of 60db (wikipedia writes "More recent studies have suggested that noise levels of 50 dB(A) at night may also increase the risk of myocardial infarction by chronically elevating cortisol production" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_from_noise). When the window is opened the noise level went up to 75-77 db.

When asked I was given another room for the second night but since this concernes ALL rooms facing inside I feel this is worth a comment / review.

Other than that, the service was nice and the rooms were okay. The location is very nice ...

Room Tip: Demand a room NOT facing inside
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

You have posted one of the more interesting reviews I have responded to. I did need to do my own research before I responded to you. What I found was that according to Health Hearing and Dangerous Decibels, sounds that are 85 to 90 dBA or above can permanently damage your ears after long term exposure. I recognize that people are more educated and concerned with their personal health and I respect that you wanted to know if the humming noise could possibly be damaging to your hearing. I also appreciate your recognition of our staff and our great location. Thanks for staying at Hotel Carmel.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have a history with HOTEL CARMEL ,my apartment is down a block and a half had a fire. All of the residents were woken up by the loud banging on our doors, telling us we had to get out,, the building was on fire, not one smoke alam went off, this was at 3am, 2/17/14 We were allowed to enter our building at 6am. We had no power, no, water, no gas. I walked around to find a place to stay at 1pm, I was informrd by SM rental rights, that mt l my landlord , M. Daviid Paul & Associates had to put us up fo 3 nights@$140 per night with $28 per day for , and a $1 a day for laundry .
I did not waste any time to find a place to stay at $140, in Santa Monica, that is unheard of, however, The Georgian suggested HOTEL CARLMEL.

The first young man that I spoke with set me up in a suite for the$135 plus tax, I told him I would speak with my resident manager to send over other residents of 18 units to stay there if they choose to do so at $135 plus tax. Al l of us were out of a place to stay with the letter from consumer protection, the city of Santa Monica. that we had $140 per night to spend on a room.

The next morning I met up with the short and tall man working the front desk, they told me I could not have that room, the suite, at the rate of $135 plus tax, I said fine ,but I would like the refrigerator sent to my next room they provided me with after I knew I had to stay out of my apartment till the power/water was back'

Talkiing about incompetetent, when I ask about my safe problem later on in that afternoon when they moved me earlier to my new room (the tall and short man were there ), they said someone would be there to help me. Ten minutes went by, I called the front desk again, the short man told me that he was there. I walked down to the front desk to say in person that nobody was at my room to help me with my safe. The short man insisted he was at my room, I walked up to the 3rd floor to hear knocking at the room I had checked into on the 2/17/14. the suite. The staffs incompetence , the short and tall man failed to acknowlege that to help me with my safe after 20 minutes , the helper for my safe was was knocking on the first unit I checked into. Then when I questioned them , the tall and short man about the $5.99 misc. charge, when checking out on 2/20/14, the rude, incompetent men, the short and tall one forgot they had moved me out of my suite that I had checked into on 2/17/14. They removed the charge after i refuse to pay for something I did not. use. This is chapter one of my first experience with HOTEL CARMEL, why would I go back? The first time my apartment building after the fire did not have water, power, or gas, I could still have a [lace to pack my my car and make phone calls from my place, Why did I go back???? Chaprter 2 is is ugly to say the least, the front desks men the tall and short men should not be in the hospitalty business, they have know clue how to treat people with respect, shame on them and the person that is there manager, Angela

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank peggy s
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Peggy s

I’m sorry that you were displaced from your apartment down the street from our hotel. I also regret you experienced problems that resulted in a poor impression of our customer service. However, I want you to know that we strive to meet all of our guest’s expectations regardless if you are a visitor, or you are a resident. I’m sure being displaced from your own apartment was stressful. Thankfully, you were able to return after a few nights.