“Pricey, but good location”
Review of Hotel Carmel

Hotel Carmel
Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
London, United Kingdom
“Pricey, but good location”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of our California trip. We arrived earlier than we were supposed to but were told we could check into a room straight away. In fact we were bumped up to a nicer room than what we had paid for so we were quite happy!
The room was kind of worn out, in need of a bit of a refurbishment, however it was clean, pretty large and didn't smell so we couldn't complain!
The best thing about this hotel was the location. It was literally slap bang in the middle of everything, with the famous pier about a 10 minute walk away, and all the shops and restaurants right outside. We walked to Venice Beach via the sea front, which took about 40 minutes (we may have taken the long route, I was told it was only about 25 minutes!).
Personally I feel the biggest let down about this hotel was the breakfast. It was served in the lobby, which was cramped to say the least, and consisted of tea/coffee/orange juice and pastries.
If you have the choice, I would save the money and just go to a cafe (as there are plenty around!) instead of having the breakfast here.
This hotel was pretty expensive, but it was one of the cheaper options in the area, so I don't think this is particularly unusual for Santa Monica.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Priced quite high for something so basic, the hotel is 2 blocks away from the Santa Monica Pier and a block away from Santa Monica Blvd. The rooms are very very small. The breakfast area is just steps away from the reception and choices are very limited. The View from the window is of an Office building. The only thing it has going for is the location!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Radhika R
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Radhika,

Thanks for staying at Hotel Carmel. I would agree that our rooms are smaller that most chain hotels. However, some of our rooms are bigger than others and the room sizes are subject to the building configuration. From a price standpoint, I respect your opinion but for Santa Monica, we believe we are very reasonably priced. Thanks again for staying with us. Safe travels always.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel really needs updating, it is very dull and the rooms aren't very welcoming. I was in a room facing the air conditioning outside and it was very loud at night. The most positive thing about the hotel is its central location. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not looking onto air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jen m
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Jen M,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Carmel. We respect your constructive comments about refurbishment of the hotel. I’m sorry you won’t stay with us again. That is not how we want our guests to feel when they leave our hotel. Maybe at some point in the future you will consider staying with us again. We wish you safe travels.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Monica hotels

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had to be moved on first night due to the vents right outside our window. Rooms are very basic and poor! No breakfdast room just have to eat at reception but the food is that bad that you wont. Housekeepers took our bathroom products on first night and managment could not help with the matter! one positive it is beside the beach where all teh homeless live!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mario L
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello Mario,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Carmel. I’m sorry we had to relocate you to another room over an issue with the vent. I did want to clarify one point. We don’t offer breakfast. We offer complimentary coffee service with some pastries. You have the option of seating in the lobby, taking something back to your room, or taking coffee and pastries to go. Guests who would prefer breakfast have the option of several restaurants within walking distance to our hotel. Safe travels.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The main advantage of choosing Hotel Carmel, considering the expensive rate is the location close to scenic Santa Monica beach. There is a stop for the 'hop on, hop off' sight-seeing bus and The Third Street Promenade shopping area nearby. I walked to a Saturday morning Farmer's Market on Arizona Avenue.

I availed of the complementary coffee and pastries in the morning.

The first room I was allocated had a wet patch under the air conditioning unit but I was moved to another room immediately after pointing it out. The furnishings are very dark and dated. I had to remove the bed spread from the bed as it had an unpleasant 'B.O' odour from it.

I would recommend the hotel on the grounds of location alone.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the noisy street.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Carmel. We really appreciate the mention of our location. I’m sorry to hear that your first room had some sort of water leak from the air conditioner and you experienced an odor from a bedspread in your second room. Although I don’t have any record of that issue, I hope we corrected it immediately while you were staying with us. We firmly understand that cleanliness and sanitation are very important and strive to ensure that we meet or exceed our guest's expectations in those areas. If at any time we fall short of your expectations, please let us know and we will correct the situation to your satisfaction. Thanks for staying with us and I hope that overall you enjoyed your visit to Santa Monica.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I take issue with reviews for this hotel saying it's condition doesn't matter because of it's good location and age.
While labelled as 'budget', I paid $224 per night (no breakfast) for 7 nights and for that money you should expect a certain level of quality wherever you are in the world. I would also point out that the official photos did not nearly reflect what I received.
Yes, Hotel Carmel is on 2nd street and close to the action, but sadly seems to have zero noise proofing. Noise from Broadway outside my closed window was very loud until 1-2am every night and internal noise was bad too. I could always hear the TV in the next room, heard every step in the corridor, doors slamming and the toilet plumbing from other rooms was so noisy I had to keep the bathroom door closed.
There was air con but instead of being mounted up high it was on the floor right by the bed. So you had the option of freezing as it blew directly onto you, or cooking when switching it off. There was a ceiling fan but it wasn't securely attached and shook wildly when activated... so that stayed off.
Generally everything in the drab room worked but was just not up to standard. Highlighted by the giant crack in the sink; it didn't leak but I worried it would and it looked unpleasant.
Oh and there was a piece of sharp metal in my made-up bed on the penultimate night that sliced my leg so I now have a scar.
Oh and the internet was free but was so slow I opted to tether from my phone and pay international roaming fees. It was THAT slow.
Oh and the safe broke on the penultimate day and to get it fixed I'd have to move rooms.

Having said all this service was good. All the staff were friendly and helped me whenever I asked for it. I'm sure if I had asked then they would have changed my room. My point is that I should not have to ask. All the rooms should be of a good standard.

Their complimentary conditioning shampoo is actually also really good. My hair misses it. However this hotel needs a major refurb. Until then I would suggest to avoid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DrCaius
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear DRCaius,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Carmel. It seems as if there were several items that were not in good working order in your room. Regardless of your rate, it is a very reasonable expectation that air conditioning and ceiling fans work and there are not cracked sinks. Those should not have been issues and we will get those items repaired or replaced.

Our location at times does lend itself to some downtown noise issues. We do offer complimentary disposable earplugs for our guests who are sensitive to the street noise. You mentioned that your rate was $224 per night. I respect that you consider that is a significant amount of money over a 7 night stay and you should have a certain quality of accommodation at that price point. I don’t disagree and I don’t mean to be disrespectful but we are the most reasonably priced hotel in Santa Monica. Never the less, there were issues you experienced that should not have happened and I apologize for those shortfalls and the items that were not up to standard. As for the photos, they represent the actual photos of our guest rooms. I’m not sure what you thought did not represent what you received. Your constructive comments and observations will not go without attention. Thank you and safe travels.
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was simple, clean & tidy. The room was decent size and although staff were helpful but not incredibly friendly. The wifi internet was good and Breakfast is basic (pastries & coffee) but there is plenty to see and do in the area so was not a problem. The big plus is the value for money for the location, close to eveything in Santa Monica. Would happily recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jon P
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi Jon P

Thank you for staying at Hotel Carmel and thank you for the review. We appreciate you acknowledging our value and our location. I’m glad our team was friendly but I wish we could have qualified for the “incredible friendly” rating. We hope you enjoyed Santa Monica. Please come back and see us again.