My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of our California trip. We arrived earlier than we were supposed to but were told we could check into a room straight away. In fact we were bumped up to a nicer room than what we had paid for so we were quite happy!
The room was kind of worn out, in need of a bit of a refurbishment, however it was clean, pretty large and didn't smell so we couldn't complain!
The best thing about this hotel was the location. It was literally slap bang in the middle of everything, with the famous pier about a 10 minute walk away, and all the shops and restaurants right outside. We walked to Venice Beach via the sea front, which took about 40 minutes (we may have taken the long route, I was told it was only about 25 minutes!).
Personally I feel the biggest let down about this hotel was the breakfast. It was served in the lobby, which was cramped to say the least, and consisted of tea/coffee/orange juice and pastries.
If you have the choice, I would save the money and just go to a cafe (as there are plenty around!) instead of having the breakfast here.
This hotel was pretty expensive, but it was one of the cheaper options in the area, so I don't think this is particularly unusual for Santa Monica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Santa Monica, close to the Santa Monica Beach, the Hotel Carmel welcomes guests with classic Southern California hospitality. Steps away from world class shopping, fine dining, and the historic Santa Monica Pier, the Hotel Carmel has been a favorite with Santa Monica visitors since 1924. Experience Hotel Carmel’s history when you enter the lobby; a designated stop on the Santa Monica historic walking tour. High ceilings, a tiled floor, dramatic columns and a classic fireplace capture the gracious Spanish revival elements of the nineteen twenties. Guests at the hotel enjoy a privileged location, just a block to Santa Monica Beach and the Santa Monica Pier, home to attractions, amusements, and excitement. The hotel is across the street from Santa Monica Place Mall, anchored by Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, and features world class retailers such as Barney’s, Tory Burch, Tiffany & Company, Nike, Coach, Burberry,and Louis Vuitton. The Arclight Cinema and the Cheese Cake Factory are also located in Santa Monica Place. Just a block away is Santa Monica’s lively Third Street Promenade home to dining, shopping, and street performers. Be in the heart of it all in downtown Santa Monica. Experience the historic Hotel Carmel, a Southern California classic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carmel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carmel Hotel Santa Monica
- Hotel Carmel Santa Monica
- Carmel Santa Monica