“Pretty Good Food--And so close to the Santa Monica Courthouse”
Review of El Texate

El Texate
Ranked #226 of 682 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Pretty Good Food--And so close to the Santa Monica Courthouse”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stumbled on this place by accident. I needed a place to eat before going to court. There's a Double Tree Suites behind the Santa Monica Courthouse with the WORST restaurant. Then, there's the 3rd Street Promenade on the other side of the Courthouse, but the walk is a pain in the butt. So, I drove down Pico and saw this place and decided to take a chance. The food is really good. However, the owner? the manager? was very gruff and unfriendly. However, when he came by the table later, I told him the food was delicious and his entire demeanor changed. Sometimes a nice word makes a difference. Anyway, I was very surprised at how good the food was. This restaurant is off the beaten path, and if I hadn't found it by accident, it's not a place I probably ever would have gone. The prices are reasonable and the portions are quite large. Also, they made me black iced tea from scratch, which was very nice as I can't drink passion fruit.

• Visited June 2013

“Great food and Good service”
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

We ate there last night and it was great. The bartender was extremely helpful with the menu and makes a mean margaritas!

Chatham, United Kingdom
“great food”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

After reading reviews we thought we would try it as it was just down the road from our hotel. We are so glad we did.
The waitress was helpful as i did not know what something was on the menu. We both came out of there stuffed.

Santa Monica, California
“I prefer Lula's on Main St.”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

If you want more than the average menu choices get off Pico and onto Main St. and go to Lula's where the food & bar choices are more plentiful and better tasting.

Houston, Texas
“Oaxacan food does NOT get any better!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

esp. when washed down with great agave juice (i.e. specialized tequilas from Jalisco). The quesadillas are fresh, mild, and baked with very little oil ($10 down to three). The jumbo bacon-wrapped dog is smoked to perfection. The chips, while you must pay for them, are freshly cooked! And finally, the bartender both knows her alcohols and is exceedingingly pleasant.

• Visited March 2013