“Authentic Oaxaca food”

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My friend, who’s a Santa Monica resident, had recommended we go to this restaurant – and we were not disappointed. The service was very friendly and attentive. The food is typical for the Oaxaca region of Mexico. The portions were ample and the price was okay. You can either sit indoor or on the sheltered porch. There is a wide choice of dishes. The only negative point, sort of, was when we went inside afterwards to have a drink at the bar, which is very well stocked. My husband had a whisky, and the shot was so minuscule it hardly covered the bottom of the glass. My husband joked he had to drink that right away or it would evaporate. On the whole, I can most definitely recommend this place for a great meal.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Large menu, everything was great. Very relaxed, casual setting. Margaritas made with fresh ingredients. Friendly service.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Staying at the doubletrees and we did not fancy the meals there and found this place when we were looking for somewhere different. There are booths in the main section along with a bar area and a patio section that we did not use as it was quite cold when we visited (December). Service was quick and we did not feel rushed to finish a course.

We have never tried Oaxacan style before and decided to give it a try. We found the staff very helpful and friendly by giving some advice on dishes to try. They have a range of the usual dishes you expect to see and what I would guess are the traditional dishes. The different mole sauces and meats also add to the variety.

We enjoyed our first visit here so much that we ended up going back every day for our 4 nights stay. We tried the goat, burritos, tacos and fajitas during our visits and the mole sauces added to the variety. Good value and they had daily happy hour offers.

I would recommend if you want to have a meal with friends or to try something different.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

One of the more authentic Mexican food restaurants I have tried in Los Angeles. The style is Oaxacan, from Oaxaca, Mexico, and features quite a variety of mole sauces and other indigenous dishes.

Try their delicious chile relleno, and their chicken and rice soup, which is a meal in itself.

And, this is one of the few Mexican restaurants that serves hard shell tacos, as most places just serve soft shells.

As far as drinks, you'll find the usual assortment of Tequilas and beers.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We were desperate for some good food close to our hotel (Sheraton Delfina- AVOID) as the hotel food was horrid. We stumbled on this place within one block. It has a very funky atmosphere and interesting Oaxacan style menu. Lots of different meats (tongue, goat, etc) but also standard Mexican favorites. I had the chile relleno stuffed with cheese ( choice of cheese, chicken or beef), my daughter had the tortilla soup, my husband ordered fajitas and my son had a burrito. If you aren't afraid of authentic Mexican food, this is your place. Great service, reasonable prices, great find!