“Big Easy”

Rabalais Bistro
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Santa Paula
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Southern New Orleans Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, including but not limited to: Gumbo, Fried Chicken (Tuesday Night), Po'Boys, Shrimp, Biscuits & Gravy, Soups & Salads. Dinner served Wednesday through Saturday including full beer and wine list. Beginets hot out of the fryer, or hand crafted breads and baked goods. Proudly Serving Intelligencia Coffees and Teas.
Stevenson Ranch, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big Easy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've sampled lunch here a couple of times and weekend breakfast once. I will definitely come back again and feel it warrants the 40 minute drive it will take for me to get here. Even with a very steady trade, I haven't felt rushed and feel the food quite adequate, the pastries even better, and the service cordial and knowledgeable. Lunch favorite include their mac and cheese, salads and a lunch special club sandwich on their honey harvest bread served with homemade seasoned potato chips.

My server told me that they make almost everything right on premises including their salad dressings, fresh breads and pastries. It would be a real mistake to miss out on their pastries which pair especially well with their special coffees. I've tried their Red Velvet cake and Key Lime pie and both were just right, not overly sweet. A real treat is their cinnamon rolls...big enough for two or more, and scrumptiously served warm while offering up the slightest hint of vanilla. It doesn't get better than that! The walk up coffee counter opens an hour earlier than the restaurant so enjoy a good brew to go, or stay and enjoy a leisurely meal.

• Visited May 2014

Channel Islands National Park, California
“What Happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

First off, the food is good. We started making it a once a every two week visit. It's the only place you can get a good Po' Boy in Ventura County. We'd drive some 40 miles to visit.

The past two times, however, I felt like I was being nickled and dimed. If I order a Po' Boy with extra remoulade on the side, don't nickle and dime me for $0.45 and then smother it on. Who does that? Ruins the Po' Boy. Why charge $0.45? If that's more important than our $40-50 food bills, keep the remoulade and we'll go elsewhere.

The service, too, has been bad the past few times. Having to track down a server to place an order. Multiple orders wrong. Having to track someone down again to pay. What's next?

Not sure what happened and not sure I really care to go back and find out.

• Visited March 2014
California
“LUNCH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I had split pea soup and a salad. Both were very good and the price was reasonable. We were there close to closing time and the service lacked a little in timing

• Visited February 2014
Santa Paula, California
“After our first visit we were not surprised by the good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My family and I have eaten breakfast here on several occasions, and for lunch, once.There are several reasons we like this restaurant, but we have also been disappointed at times. We find the ambiance pleasant and comfortable, and the service to be courteous, friendly and efficient. The menu is somewhat limiting, that is, it is important to be in the mood for Cajun food, because there is not much else.

To begin with, the beignets are about as good as one will find anywhere. The items most appreciated were the Cajun Sunrise breakfast and the Etoufee Biscuits (crawfish etoufee). The Bayou Benedict was also favored, though somewhat expensive for the amount of food. I do not eat eggs, but my Buttermilk Pancakes were fine and the Creole potato side was very good. The ham side, though, was a waste of money: the slice of ham was small, overcooked and gristly. I like the Andouille sausage, but my wife disagrees.

For lunch my large Ham Po’ Boy was quite good—lots of thinly sliced ham, cheese, Farmer’s Market tomato thickly sliced, and lettuce and a spicy Cajun dressing. The bread was fresh, though thick. Also, the handcrafted potato chips were good.

Lunch and dinner both have (the same) four salads and three soups. There are also such Southern standards as Jambalaya, Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice and Shrimp Creole. One side of the facility is the restaurant and the other is a bakery. Everything we have had in the bakery has been good.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank lobo59
Bangkok
“Would be a great place in any city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

A gem of a clever menu in a sleepy town. Great coffee, dishes, and ambiance. We stayed in town for a wedding and had friends from louisiana say it was best cajun food theyve had in california. Dont miss at any time of day.

3 Thank BangkokFarang555