“Disappointing and Dingy”
Review of Glen Tavern Inn

Glen Tavern Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Santa Paula
Reviewed 18 August 2014

With the Ventura County Fair in full swing, nice rooms were either fully booked or priced out of my budget. To save cash, we drove 15 minutes east to Santa Paula to stay at the historic Glenn Tavern Inn.

The lobby looks like mountain lodge from the 1950′s, and the young staff members were attractive, welcoming, and chatty.

But all the charm ends the minute you’re in the room, where chipped paint, ragged curtains, time-worn linens, wheezy air conditioning, and a dirty shower (with sharp, rusty protrusions) await. Historic is one thing; dated and dingy is something else entirely.

Room Tip: See any room you consider here before committing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MadeByMark
glentaverninnmgmt, Manager at Glen Tavern Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

We are sorry you did not have a pleasant experience. We would be appreciative if you were to tell us what room you were in to correct some of the issues. We here at the Glen tavern appreciate your feedback and hope to see you return another time. You can reach out to us at dustin@glentavern.com.

There are newer reviews for Glen Tavern Inn

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our recent stay at Glen Tavern was a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t expecting much since the rate was so low. Our high ceiling room had a large flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The style of the furnishings was in keeping with the historical building. The bathroom was more contemporary with an engineered stone counter top with double sinks, separate jetted tub, and two shower heads in the large shower. Our dog was with us, so I appreciated the tile floors throughout the room. The pet fee was only $10. The staff was very pleasant. The minor dings were the stained upholstered bench at the foot of the bed, which I remedied by laying a towel over the top, and some mars on the darkly painted doors. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Noodlie066
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Recently my partner and I stayed a night at the GlenTavern Inn. We found the staff helpfull and pleasant.Our room was clean and comfortable and its hard to beat the price. We ate dinner in the dinning room, Juan had the filet mingon and I had the New York Cut and they were both cooked to perfection.The old world charm of the hotel is evident the moment you walk in the front door and a feeling almost of stepping back in time came over me and allready I knew we had found something special.Just a hour and a half from West Hollywood( a little longer coming up the coast) we have decided to make this "our" get away spot for now on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KENNETH C
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had seen the Glen Tavern Inn for years, but had never stayed here. The hotel is over 100 years old, across from the equally historic Santa Paula Train Station. But last weekend, we gave it a try. We arrived late, around 10 pm, and found the private parking lot at the rear of the hotel very well lit. Entering the lobby from parking lot, we found a nicely restored large room with Enzo’s Italian Restaurant entryway off of the lobby. We didn’t get a chance to try the restaurant, but it’s atmosphere fit with the hotel’s and was inviting. Guests dining looked happy. The gentleman who checked us in was very nice, and it was refreshing to see the lack of computer screens and automated cash registers behind the early 1900’s “lobby office” enclosure. He hand-wrote our registration. When I asked to change a $5 bill, he opened a tin box to retrieve the singles. I had asked for the top (3rd) floor, end room, which he had reserved for us. Looking around the lobby as he checked us in, we saw that the remodel had restored the building to the elegance of the 1910’s using Tiffany lamp shades in the stairwell, and Tiffany-style sconces and Craftsman-style light fixtures. There is no elevator, which was not a problem for us. The walls in the stairwell and hallways display movie billboards from years past. We did not have time this weekend to delve into the hotel’s rich history, which looked very interesting. Remember, the hotel is old. It’s not an Embassy Suites. Rather, it’s much like some of the older hotels you see in Europe. For us, this adds to the experience. Our room, 307, again reflects its place in history. Original windows, with the wavy glass from a century ago, a raised floor (I presume to accommodate plumbing) in the otherwise modern bath with a full skylight and Jacuzzi tub. The queen bed’s very comfortable firm support provided a great sleep for our two-night stay. The bed was tastefully finished with a quilted bedcover and sham. The furniture was appropriately distressed reflecting the age. Microwave and refrigerator (very cold) were provided. Ventilation and air-conditioning were easily controllable and quickly brought the temperature to our comfort zone. Large walk-in closet. Wifi worked well. I left the bathroom exhaust fan on through the night to provide some “white noise” to cancel the few inconsiderate guests who talked while walking in the hallway. This worked perfectly for us. Good Value. Pleasant. Interesting. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room. The hotel is old and without the sound absorbing insulation of hotel chains li...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WorldTraveler6548
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I travel extensively for my job and I've stayed in nearly every form of accommodation known to man-- from elite luxury hotels, to family-run B&Bs, to sketchy motels that have the only vacancy in town. This hotel beats them all.

It's a stunning piece of historical property with a sense of authentic grandeur of the past that few hotels can ever emulate. There's also this remarkable sense of coziness to the hotel, as well, which makes any guest feel instantly at home. I stayed in the blue room on the third floor and my spotless room was fetching with an enormous bathtub. The front desk staff were always so helpful and kind to me, patient with the millions of questions I asked them.

I was really sad to leave this place, and I will go out of my way to stay there any time I'm in ventura again. It is truly a rare, rare gem.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are off this gorgeous red hallway.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Darkbloom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Historic can be cool..If you don't mind listening to your neighbors through the walls. The stains all over the drab carpeting. My bed was short sheeted, didn't quite fit the uncomfortable historic springy stiff bed, maybe the ghosts were having a little fun. The room seemed kind of clean as long as you didn't look close or look up. It seems whoever cleans the rooms must be a short person. The windows at the tops were dusty; the drapes across the tops were laden with dust. There were spider webs on top of the curtains, no spiders though, thank goodness, I hate spiders. The room did have a small closet, forget about hangers though. Then the bath room, ha,ha,ha.... no room to put anything down. If you bend over the sink to wash you’re almost sitting on the commode. Watch that cleverly disguised 6 inch tile step from the bedroom to the bathroom, if that doesn't get you there's a second 2 incher right in front of the toilet stall that blends in well. The commode must be a holdover from the past when the human race was short and slightly built. Let’s just say not man friendly. The stall walls were claustrophobic, they were too narrow. It reminded me of putting a commode in a tiled phone booth, if you know what that is. We left at one in the morning, couldn't sleep in the hard beds. We had dinner at Enzo's it was average for what they offered, although they did have some good wines. Check your rooms before you commit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 6 May 2014

my girlfriends and I stayed here april 28 it was awesome. the room was great clean and comfy, the whole place has a very unique feel about It. we did not eat at enzo's because they are closed on Mondays so we went around the corner to garmans pub. witch if you get a chance is a must see.. a really recommend that anyone who has a chance to at least visit the Inn to jump on it.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has double beds, 3rd floor has single kings and rooms are larger.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
#8 of 23 in Ventura
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
#3 of 10 in Camarillo

Been to Glen Tavern Inn? Share your experiences!