“This is a well kept, friendly place to stay, with spacious rooms at a great value!”
Review of Ocean Gateway Inn

Ocean Gateway Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Santa Paula
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I was so pleased to find this motel when I was searching on line! I needed a place in Santa Paula since we were getting my daughter started at the College near there. I also needed it to be a great value, since I was on a tight budget. In calling the motels on my list, it became clear that the Ocean Gateway had the best prices. What a wonderful bonus to find that the room was spacious, beautiful, and well kept; and that the management personnel are also the owners, and therefore very committed to making my stay a pleasant one. I was also pleased to find that the wi-fi internet access worked great in my room, so I was able to stay up with my business. By the way, they recommended a wonderful restaurant right next door with great food and friendly staff. I had the best fish tacos there I have ever had!

My thanks to the folks at Ocean Gateway for a wonderful stay, I'll be back!

Jim

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 March 2010

My co-worker and I got two rooms for the night at this place because it was close to a job we were doing. We should have driven the 10 miles or so to the coast and got a nice room, or at least a better room. First thing, there are bars on the windows on the first floor, not a good sign. The room was old and run down, the upholstery on the chairs were stained. The bed was scary. You wouldn't want to shine a black-light on it. The pillows were flat, and when I went to ask the manager for an extra pillow, you'd have thought I asked him to sacrifice a goat in the lobby. He brought me something that looked like pillow, only flat and dirty. The bathroom had ants. The towels were like sandpaper. No coffee maker. And in the morning, NO HOT WATER. One of the worst motel I've stayed at.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank jdend
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Me and my friend stayed at the Ocean Gateway Inn on the way to the Six Flags Magic Mountian theme park. We were looking for a pretty low-key room which wouldn;t cost too much. The cost itself was not too bad, I think maybe $75 for a night, for a twin room, but the room itself was pretty average at best. The bathroom wasn't so good, and the decor looked like it hadn't been touched in many years.

The room was supposed to include breakfast - this consisted of a small muffin and orange juice/coffee. There wasn't even cereal or bread to toast.

Upon checkout, the somewhat less-than-friendly manager went to check the rooms. Although we were lucky enough to get our $20 deposit returned, the customer in front of me in the queue had $5 deducted from his because of a 'towel being dirty'.

The man's reaction was that of 'I shalln't be coming here again'. I thought this showed a distinct lack of class by the hotel owner. For the sake of $5 (roughly £3) he has lost at least one customer.

The chances of me being in Santa Paula again are minimal, but if I ever was, I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank lukeybaby100
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Motel is very clean.Staff very friendly. Only down side was the bed. Pillow were flat as pancakes and bed was too hard. The room did have a good a/c and a little refrig. Also, a small continental breakfast was provided. Good value for $.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Hotel is old. Have stayed here in past, but will pay a little extra next time and stay some where else. Rooms were clean, towels were almost see throught, furniture and carpeting old, pillows uncomfotable. ONLY $85 a night. or $65 during week. To bad it has not been kept up as it is in great location. Coffee was cheap tasting and not much of a breakfast. Better off going to Carrows. Staff was friendly. Owners need to make a few improvements to turn this back into a nice hotel!! Santa Paula is a nice little town.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We spotted this hotel on our travels and on a late night driving back towards LA thought it would be a good place to stop, it was just off the freeway and Santa Paula seemed such a nice place. The brochure at the desk promised lovely rooms with jacuzzi baths.
The room was awful, stained carpets and furniture, very very poorly decorated, and no lovely bath to relax in! When we pulled back the blanckets to fall into the bed there we found a few strands of hair between the sheets! The soap and shampoo etc were of very low standard. If we hadnt been so tired we would have left when we saw the state of the room. The tv didnt work and the person on the desk was unable to help us deal with it.
After a poor nights sleep we took advantage of their continental breakfast, which was a jug of juice, one pot of coffee and a few donuts. When my husband asked the receptionist if she could make some more coffee she said they were only allowed to make one per day! We wont be back!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gypsy_Lorna
Reviewed 7 September 2006

This is a moderately priced hotel that is quiet and very nice for the modest amount it costs. Its not the Hilton, but it is clean and safe and I recommend it. It is right next to the freeway and a few short steps from a great authentic mexican restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
12 mi away
Ojai Valley Inn
Ojai Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Ojai

Been to Ocean Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!