“It keeps getting better!”
Review of Bistro 29

Bistro 29
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 29 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 530 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Riley Street
Transit: Downtown transit mall is three blocks away, taxis and pedi-cabs available.
Description: Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.
Pittsburg, California
“It keeps getting better!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

About once a year we are in Santa Rosa and dine at Bistro 29. We have eaten there 4 times over the years and, remarkably, IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER!

Last night we had meals that were PERFECTLY prepared! My wife had the lamb shank with desert of the Carmel/Toffee Cake (?). I had the Steak and Frites with a sweet crepe for desert. It's a great testament to the quality of the kitchen staff when every dish is delivered at such a standard - well done!

Our waiter Zac, provided friendly and timely service - the restaurant was about 75% full.

Of course, we'll be back. We wish we lived closer.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank RickinSF92

Santa Rosa, California
“Delicious French Restaurant”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've been here three times. All three experiences were very good. Friendly, prompt service. Menu has a wide variety. Appropriately priced. I'll be back.

• Visited March 2014
Jacksonville, Oregon
“Anniversary dinner was great”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to B29 last night to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I made a point of checking out the restroom; it was perfectly clean. Now to the rest of our report. My wife loves butter lettuce and had that salad, which she loved. She particularly liked the dressing. I love French onion soup and theirs was very good. Cider gave it a sweet taste, and I would prefer it less sweet, but it was still good. There was a second soup (cucumber) which I was initially served- my fault because I said soup and didn't specify, but they changed the soup with no muss or fuss. My wife had a lamb shank with mashed potatoes and I had daube of beef with asparagus and croquettes of cheese and potatoes. Both meats were super tender and had sauces we thought were excellent. We've been joking today, sort of an Abbott and Costello routine: my dish was better, no mine was, finally concluding that we each ordered the right dish for ourselves! We ordered a 500 ml carafe of a French wine for $18, quite good. My wife doesn't like much red wine and I am pretty particular about the ones I like, so finding an inexpensive wine which we both liked is unusual. We finished by sharing a crepe with chocolate ganash and banana. Not as good as some we've has in Paris, but quite good. Service was excellent. If I could, I would rate at 4 1/2 stars

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Dave S
“Over Rated”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Really bad experience here -- food was not good, service mediocre -- reviews must come from owners relatives and friends. There are so many better choices in the area.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Steven P
Sarasota, Florida
“Wow. Wow. Wow!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have eaten in a lot of great places around the world, and this one is right up in the top 10. In Northern California for exploring wine country, my wife and I stopped in here last Saturday and were both delighted. She had a beef and I had lamb shank, and we shared their signature fig toffee pudding for dessert. We were so delighted we went back tonight, 3 days later. She had perfectly done scallops, while I started with shortbreads then onto a snapper with clam dish. Again, absolutely perfectly done. The wine list is both local California and French, since it is a French style bistro. Both nights we chose local wines, with advice from the server, and were quite happy. Very good service, and very very reasonable pricing for true world class dining. If we lived locally we would be here enough to know every dish and every server personally.

• Visited June 2014