“Pretty Good”

Cross street: B Street
Santa Rosa, California, United States
“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We went here last night to try out the new local Indian fare, and it was pretty good. I am a vegan and there were lots of options for me. However, I prefer to have a low-oil diet and if you are interested in this...you may not have a lot of luck here. One of the positives - the portion sizes are nice and large, and they offer a mint, tamarind and mango chutney with Papadums to start.

The chai tea is made with milk, but not sugar. So, if you enjoy adding your own sugar then you may like this.

I ordered Samosas which were overall pretty tasty. The spice level was good and they were not too greasy. I ordered the cucumber and tomato salad which was quite delicious, and large enough to share with the table. I also ordered the Baingan Bharta after being told that it wouldn't be too oily. However, it was a bit oily...but delicious. The Tandori Roti was also dressed in oil.

About the spice level... I was told that the spice levels were a little high and I enjoy that...so I ordered it medium and it was kinda spicy but not to the level that I was expecting.

My husband ordered the Chicken Bahar which he said was delicious. My friend who accompanied us ordered the Vegetable Goan Curry which in my opinion could have used a little more complexity and flavor. Again, the portion sizes were large and we had enough food to take home and enjoy for the next few days.

The staff was attentive, and the ambiance was nice and cozy. Our food did take a medium length of time to get...But then again, it was a Saturday night

Visited October 2012

California
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

The restaurant is at the end of the downtown drag (or the beginning if you are coming from the other direction). So, don't park in the center of the drag if you want to avoid a walk. Both the appetizer and the main course were excellent. The Tikka Masala sauce was divine. We visited on a Saturday and the food was good enough that we came back Sunday but found the restaurant was closed. Fairly uncommon for a restaurant to be closed on a Sunday in a tourist town. While the people working there are friendly, they are not adequately staffed for the number of visitors they get. Hence service can be slow if they are busy. Pricing is very reasonable especially considering its location.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank stoprr
pdx
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Had a great meal last night with my elderly 85+ parents. We had two Tandori dishes of chicken and shrimp. Both were great. The nan bread was flavorful. I had a chai tea drink which I loved but it filled me up. The service was attentive and the food arrived 15 minutes after ordering and this was a busy Saturday night. I had Kashmiri Curry Chicken which was not too spicy but flavorful. We will go back again. This is a good option in Santa Rosa.

Visited July 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“My favorite restaurant on the planet Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have been to Torch of India on numerous occasions and usually celebrate birthdays here. I don't even know where to begin... The staff, the food, the ambiance, the bollywood, the location, and the prices come together to create a perfect storm of amazingness. If everyone else could figure out how to run a business half as well as Torch of India things would be a lot better in this world. The staff are the friendliest anywhere and will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can. If they find out its your birthday they will most likely give you free ice cream, and sometimes for no reason at all. The food is delicious, especially the Chicken Mahkni which I believe is always available at the lunch buffet, of god, the lunch buffet! You can beat $8.95 for all you can eat Indian food anywhere in or near Santa Rosa. The buffet includes 2 kinds of salad, a soup, several entrees and a dessert of the day. You get free plain or garlic naan for your table at the buffet. The decoration is quite nice, especially for the affordability of the food, and they play Bollywood movies around the clock, which are always ridiculously entertaining. On top of all that, it is basically right outside the front door of the mall on Fourth Street. A great location in the downtown heart of Santa Rosa. Go go and go to Torch!

• Visited December 2012
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Having finished up some errands, I was in downtown Santa Rosa on 4th Street at dinner time. On a whim I stopped in at Torch of India. Service was efficient and friendly. As soon as I sat down I was served a warm chapati with 3 sauces. Delicious. I ordered Lamb Korma and Raita. The lamb was served in a lovely copper dish and came with a generous serving of basmati rice. I also had a cup of hot chai. Usually chai is too sweet for me, but I was pleasantly surprised that the chai was spicy, not too sweet, and very authentic. Everything about my meal was perfect. The hunks of lamb in the korma were generous, flavorful and succulent. The servings were so generous that I had plenty of food to take home for another meal. A lovely surprise at the end of my meal was a serving of complimentary rice pudding. I felt the prices were very reasonable. The atmosphere is lovely, the restaurant is clean, and I'll definitely return next time I'm shopping in Santa Rosa.

• Visited January 2013