“Our "special occasion" choice”
Review of Cafe Europe - CLOSED

Cafe Europe
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Graton, CA
“Our "special occasion" choice”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

You might guess that any smallish restaurant that can survive for decades in such a terrible location --tucked into a virtually invisible corner of an unappealing strip-mall at the low-traffic eastern edge of town-- must be a very good place to eat, and I've never been disappointed here after many visits. The menu (and the unfortunately desultory decor) are Bavarian German -- as is the chef, an immense and cheerful fellow who makes the occasional appearance at table when things slow down. They have the good sense to keep casks of real German beer stocked up, so one of the treats you can look forward to with your jaegerschnitzel und kartoffel is a whole liter (ja ja!, eine liter!) of ice cold Warsteiner! A great restaurant for the hungry, and the thirsty. One of our friends asked me how their wine list was, to which I replied, "They serve wine?" (They do, and I'm advised it's quite adequate. Any restaurant in Sonoma County would be doomed if they had no wine list.)

The cafe is popular with local families though my kids have always been a little fussy about it, because they don't give out crayons nor do they have a TV going nor do they serve tiny portions of plain noodles without any other foods touching them; my vegetarian daughter, in fact, calls the place "the house of meat" since her dad tends to order the Schlachtplatte, the Bavarian equivalent of the English "mixed grill." Also recommended is the Wiener Kalb Schnitzel. Most dishes come with a portion of their delicious red cabbage, and if yours doesn't you should ask for some on the side.

On Christmas Day they have a lovely lunch & dinner but you need to make reservations well in advance as it's extremely popular.

• Visited December 2012

Kingman, Arizona
“Stoppen Sie hier!”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Greatest food I have had in ages. Any kind of food! Place is small. One cook, one prep. I am told the guy use to own the place they called Little Bavaria....if any of you locals remember it. Try the Pork Tenderloins, ooohhh my, they are to die for! My friend had the Wild Boar, said it was great. All around us we were hearing compliments. Place is within a small strip-mall off the 12. The service was on the spot and the owner walks along to see to his customers.

windsor, ca
“Decent food, good wine list”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We recently ate here because my husband had a craving for wiener schnitzel. The restaurant is located in a small neighborhood shopping center. The decor is cute, with typical European touches like beer steins and alpine themed clocks, etc on the walls. They have a fairly extensive menu of the usual German fare (heavy on the meat) and a pretty good wine list with very reasonable prices. There are several nice wines by the glass for around seven dollars. The service was excellent, with two waiters handling a busy place very efficiently by themselves. While the food was a little heavy for me, my husband cleaned his plate and we shared an apple streudel for dessert, which was excellent. Overall, a good value for the price and a pleasant experience.

1 Thank dhowclan
Vancouver, Washington
“Disappointment!”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We visited Cafe Europe with old friends who are "regulars" there and love it.

We, however, were disappointed.

While the service is excellent, the ambiance (strip mall and some beer steins here and there) the location and general appearance did not impress.

Further, my husband simply could NOT eat his roast duck! It was very dry and tasted "old".

Because we didn't want to hurt our friends' feelings, he did not send the duck back to the kitchen but forked it around the plate and ate the very small portions of red cabbage (not vinegary enough) and potato pancake.

The duck came home with us to feed the local wildlife, who apparently enjoyed it more than my husband.

Willows, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authenic German Dining”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My Filipino wife has eaten pork prepared various ways by her parents as that was there business that put three girls through nursing school there. She was surprised to tase the Swine (English spelling)Snitzel and I had the Veal Snitzel. The food was excellent and our waiter Shawn was excellent. We arrived around 4:45 pm without a "reservation" only to be told to return after 8 pm. We were from out of town and a long way from our hotel wondering what to do for the next three hours...I went back in and talked to Shawn and he seated us immediately. We were so thankful. Throughout the evening you could tell numerous customers were regulars as everyone knew each other on a first name basis. We enjoyed the live music and the "Chicken Dance". The dining brought back so many memories of my years of living in Germany...I just wish I lived closer so I could try more of the foods on their Menue. If you plan to visit you may want to call ahead and make a reservation. We loved the place!

• Visited October 2012