“Best (perhaps only) German food in town”
Review of Cafe Europe - CLOSED

Cafe Europe
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2013

For dinner we had the Jaeger Schnitzel and Wiener Schnitzel. Both were excellent, but we had so much food (ate too many delicious rolls), that we took doggy bags and an Apple Strudel home with us. This is our third time at this restaurant, and we're always ready to return even though the restaurant is not close to where we live and we have excellent restaurants nearby. This is not a fancy restaurant and as mentioned, is tucked away in a corner, but has survived for many years. All the food is excellent, and they have many items on the menu that are not German. The night we were there, they were offering a few 3 course meals for $20.00 pp, and also had fresh Maine lobster on the menu. This restaurant caters many group events in Santa Rosa and everyone always enjoys the food. Entrees run from $18 to $26, and include wonderful rolls, and a choice of soup or salad.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We were only in Santa Rosa for a short stay but went twice because it was so good. Best Jaeger Schnitzel EVER! Wiener Schniztel also was excellent, as was the Pork Shank Osso Bucco, and Schwein Schnitzel on our first visit. Side dishes and presentation were wonderful. Apple Strudel and coffee were great too. It was a pleasure to watch the staff, including the owner, working together. We had reservations, and would recommend you do too because it is very popular with the locals and the dining room is somewhat small. We will return when in Santa Rosa again.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

You might guess that any smallish restaurant that can survive for decades in such a terrible location --tucked into a virtually invisible corner of an unappealing strip-mall at the low-traffic eastern edge of town-- must be a very good place to eat, and I've never been disappointed here after many visits. The menu (and the unfortunately desultory decor) are Bavarian German -- as is the chef, an immense and cheerful fellow who makes the occasional appearance at table when things slow down. They have the good sense to keep casks of real German beer stocked up, so one of the treats you can look forward to with your jaegerschnitzel und kartoffel is a whole liter (ja ja!, eine liter!) of ice cold Warsteiner! A great restaurant for the hungry, and the thirsty. One of our friends asked me how their wine list was, to which I replied, "They serve wine?" (They do, and I'm advised it's quite adequate. Any restaurant in Sonoma County would be doomed if they had no wine list.)

The cafe is popular with local families though my kids have always been a little fussy about it, because they don't give out crayons nor do they have a TV going nor do they serve tiny portions of plain noodles without any other foods touching them; my vegetarian daughter, in fact, calls the place "the house of meat" since her dad tends to order the Schlachtplatte, the Bavarian equivalent of the English "mixed grill." Also recommended is the Wiener Kalb Schnitzel. Most dishes come with a portion of their delicious red cabbage, and if yours doesn't you should ask for some on the side.

On Christmas Day they have a lovely lunch & dinner but you need to make reservations well in advance as it's extremely popular.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Greatest food I have had in ages. Any kind of food! Place is small. One cook, one prep. I am told the guy use to own the place they called Little Bavaria....if any of you locals remember it. Try the Pork Tenderloins, ooohhh my, they are to die for! My friend had the Wild Boar, said it was great. All around us we were hearing compliments. Place is within a small strip-mall off the 12. The service was on the spot and the owner walks along to see to his customers.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We recently ate here because my husband had a craving for wiener schnitzel. The restaurant is located in a small neighborhood shopping center. The decor is cute, with typical European touches like beer steins and alpine themed clocks, etc on the walls. They have a fairly extensive menu of the usual German fare (heavy on the meat) and a pretty good wine list with very reasonable prices. There are several nice wines by the glass for around seven dollars. The service was excellent, with two waiters handling a busy place very efficiently by themselves. While the food was a little heavy for me, my husband cleaned his plate and we shared an apple streudel for dessert, which was excellent. Overall, a good value for the price and a pleasant experience.

1  Thank dhowclan