“Not your average cheese factory!”

Matos Cheese Factory
Ranked #9 of 26 Tours in Santa Rosa
More attraction details
Owner description: A cheese factory.
Gardnerville, Nevada, USA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not your average cheese factory!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I love their cheese. My girlfriend however was not a fan. The factory is really just a farm where they raise the cows and make the cheese. So it smells like a farm!

Visited September 2013

Mesa, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Filthy farm outside of the cheese shop”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Two friends and I went to this farm. It looked OK from a distance. I've never seen so many flies in my life. There was a heap of stale bread in one of the stalls. They were using it as feed for the animals. We went into the cheese shop and enjoyed the cheese sample. I bought a pound of cheese. Then we asked if we could take pictures of the farm animals. They said it was OK. The cows were standing on huge piles of manure. My friends went around the corner and saw the pigs. They were in a pigsty that had about 6 inches of urine mixed with feces. There was no place for them to go that was dry, so they were laying on each other trying to stay out of this incredibly horrible situation. Millions of flies. Garbage everywhere, cats obviously sick/dying around the barn. My friends called the health department, it was so bad. We will never go here again.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Judy H
Ashland, Oregon
“Fantastic cheese. Great Factory!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Why would you expect anything else, but great cheese. The other reviewer's complaints about the place seem VERY petty. get over it. The people at The Matos Factory are fine, and helpful. I enjoy it every time I've gone by. it's a little old world and quaint, which for me is a great experience. Stop off for a visit, and you will love the cheese.

Visited August 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

It's a long drive to Matos where you'll find run down and messy buildings. The cows do look happy in the pasteur and the cheese is quite good. But all you can see is the small office where you can buy some cheese - there's no tour and no conversation (they barely speak English). When I asked, they said they's stopped doing tours. Go if you want to buy some cheese but don't expect anything else.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank larhee
Healdsburg, California
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Some of the best cheese we've ever had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is located near the Laguna de Santa Rosa and can be a nice drive on a pretty day. This would not be considered much of a "destination" as the cheese factory is not really set up for touring and the staff speaks very, very little English...
BUT...they make some of thee best cheese we have ever had and they sell it at an incredible price in relation to other premium cheeses...
My recommendation is to Google the Matos Cheese factory to get an appreciation for the cheese-maker and his unique heritage and background. It's really very cool...then head out, prepared to be underwhelmed by the location and then overwhelmed with the taste of this great cheese.
Put it in the middle, snack-section of your Sonoma County Wine Country tour and you'll be glad you did.

Visited January 2012